Rick's Westland Sea King HAR3 (x2) 1/144 by Sweet Decal

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Here's a little pair of Sea Kings that I got while in Japan this summer. I used to work on D Flight 202 Sqn at RAF Lossiemouth and by coincidence the paint schemes offered by this kit include two of the cabs (IIRC) that were on the flight during my time there. As well as the classic yellow SAR cab we also had one painted in the grey Falklands Islands scheme, the latter had RWR heads on the nose and under the tail pylon.

The kit describes these as HAR3 A's but the cabs were in fact HAR3's - the only obvious external difference is the HF aerial mast layout so these could be modelled as either Mark. It's a simple kit but there were no instructions so I had to find some on the Internet. Another deficiency of the kit is the lack of EAPS/SNIPS intake filter, there are two cockpit options one of which has the older FOD deflector - this version won't be modelled so a scratch built filter will be required.

I plan to display them on a base modelled on the SAR dispersal at Lossiemouth.

View attachment 123466

View attachment 123461

View attachment 123462

The two halves of the fuselage go together nicely and the sponsons fit into a slot with the stay a separate item.

View attachment 123463

View attachment 123464

The underside had some detail sanded off that wasn't appropriate for this Mark.

View attachment 123465

The main rotor blades offered have grooves along the entire length, the upper sides were sanded smooth, I left the underside as they won't be seen.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
This kit only gives you the option of having the FOD deflector intake guard or no guard at all so I have cut and filed a block of 3.2mm plastic rod to represent the EAPS/SNIPS intake filter box that are/were fitted to all Sea Kings sometime in the early 90's (I think). These will need painting before fitting because of the vortex screens, could be tricky.

And the canopies have been masked and glued to the fuselage too.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
I'm going to have to watch this Rick........... at 1/144 scale, I'd have thrown it at the wall well before I got to that stage.:rolleyes:

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
\ said:
I'm going to have to watch this Rick........... at 1/144 scale, I'd have thrown it at the wall well before I got to that stage.:rolleyes:
Well the intake filter was straight forward, the RWR fairing for the nose and under the tail boom for the grey cab will be a challenge.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Nice work rick , the sweet kits are great arent they. Another little chopper (!) thats a great kit is the revell 1/144 puma in any of its boxings , were there any of those there while you were ?

Last edited by a moderator:

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
\ said:
Nice work rick , the sweet kits are great arent they. Another little chopper (!) thats a great kit is the revell 1/144 puma in any of its boxings , were there any of those there while you were ?
I don't recall seeing any Revell aircraft kits in any of the model shops I visited in Japan Tony but I remember your Tigermeet build from a year or two ago. This is a nice little kit but a bit rudimentary, the fuselage windows are decals and the bubble windows will need some imagination to replicate. I'm just happy that the kit features a pair of cabs and the paint schemes that were applied to the pair on D flight when was posted there. Making a dispersal base for them is planned.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Both cabs were primed tonight but I haven't taken pictures, my next post should feature a DSG and a bright yellow cab.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Something was bugging me with the grey cab after I painted it DSG, it is too dark. The real cab was quite faded so a lightened shade was applied and it looks better, the same cant be said for the yellow cab. The clear part that is the cockpit isn't taking the yellow paint too well.

The rotor blades have been painted on the under side and two have been painted yellow on the upper surface (not pictured).

WP_20151128_21_23_56_Pro.jpg

WP_20151128_21_24_33_Pro.jpg

WP_20151128_21_24_05_Pro.jpg

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
One of these cabs has been gloss varnished and ready for decals, the yellow one is causing me trouble though with coverage. Anyway, I put the main rotors together and ran the blades through my thumbs to create the droop effect and noticed that I have painted the black/grey blades upside down...did I mention I worked on these for three years? Ooops!

I also made a start on a little base for them using Scalescenes sheets cut and glued to a piece of mounting card. The yellow circle on the dispersal was created using a Woodland Scenics paint pen and the lid of a large yoghurt pot as a template which just happens to be a little bigger than the rotor disc. Before I did all this I created a sillouette of the helicopters to help me with the spacing and size calculations of the dispersal. Next I will add some grass around three of the edges and weight it down to straighten it out.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
Looking very good Rick....... I have a question ? I really have no idea, and there is probably a simple answer. Why is one rotor blade yellow ?????

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
\ said:
Looking very good Rick....... I have a question ? I really have no idea, and there is probably a simple answer. Why is one rotor blade yellow ?????
For visibility when the rotors are turning. If viewed from above the rotor disc, the single yellow blade can clearly be seen with the naked eye, I've seen it on a Wessex HC2.

D

Deleted member 4539

Coming along well.

Nice idea for the base.

I used the same company's sheets on my railway layout

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
\ said:
For visibility when the rotors are turning. If viewed from above the rotor disc, the single yellow blade can clearly be seen with the naked eye, I've seen it on a Wessex HC2.
Thank Rick.... I did figure it'd be easy.