Roberts McDonnell Douglas Phantom 2 F-4C 1/48 Revell ( monogram.

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Well a bit more progress to the phantom today if not a lot . After leaving the fuselage overnight to dry and set with glue I started on the wing section or sections should I say as three parts each side make the undercarriage doors and there are also two air brakes.
So on with clean up and black primer 74.602 negro. 2 light coats then sset to dry
On with the filling and sanding of the fuselage.
I taped off either side of the seams so in aid to not to lose too much detail when sanding.
I still lost a lot but I'll be getting the scribe set soon in the post so I can at least know I won't lose all the detail.
The undercarriage bays and doors got 2 light coats of thinned white model air 71.001 I may go over later with a gloss white before sealing the paint.
I'm really enjoying this even if there are a few issues here and there.
Enjoy
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpegimage.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    60.3 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    87.2 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    82.7 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    84.6 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    82.3 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    66.8 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    73.3 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    74.7 KB · Views: 2

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Coming on nicely robert , the cockpit looks fantastic. It seems a bit of a contradiction this kit , some lovely details such as the inside of the undercarriage doors , then some unforgiveable cock ups like the ejector pin marks on the missiles! Keep at it mate its going to look great , cheers tony

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Coming on nicely robert , the cockpit looks fantastic. It seems a bit of a contradiction this kit , some lovely details such as the inside of the undercarriage doors , then some unforgiveable cock ups like the ejector pin marks on the missiles! Keep at it mate its going to look great , cheers tony

Thanks Tony

I'm a bit mystified myself but being an older kit pre 80s I think it has to be said its a little unforgiving at times.
I have the scribing set coming from John at Scale Model Shop so I'm hoping to try and get some lot detail back.
Because most of kit is raised panel lines I'm going to have to marry the new scribe in with the raised ( daunting at best )
I have not the nerve to do a full rescribe but I'm plodding along with this and I'm hoping to get it primed up by the weekend ( no promises )
Patrick's helping me out with the odd missile here and ther and maybe some decals too etc etc.
It's going a lot smoother than my other Jet attempts
I was even looking at a Sepecat Jaguar GR3 today too!!

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Hi guys and gals
I've had a bit more progress on the phantom and the more I'm working on her I'm getting to like this build. Sure there are a few fit issues and I've been doing some rescribing here and there ( mainly detail lost in seams and some tail detail lost.
Wing join was good but I found a nasty gap at tge from join to the nose gear that's been filled and sanded.
Finally got the cockpit glazing masked but still not sure if I want it posed open or closed?
Air intakes at front caused a little feckiling to get right too
Sprayed the rear exhaust area aluminium ( metal coat ) it's had primer and will mask off before I give all over black primer ( once the sanding stops ) is
Pics and comments welcome
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    66.3 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    73.7 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    65.8 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    50.9 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    49.7 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    49.4 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    56.1 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    65.4 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    88.1 KB · Views: 2

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Update
Have nearly compleated the main build on the Phantom now but still need to do the odd bit of re scribe here and there through my sanding and smoothing over seams etc. Got some good advice through Papa 695 on my black basing which I'm going to put to full use ( thanks Ian )
Busy last night masking the air intakes and undercarriage bays. I have secured the cockpit glazing in place and after a long session masking I'm pretty happy with it.
Undercarriage and ordinance next to assemble/ paint and more work on the exhaust fans ( burn effect )

Enjoy and comments welcome

Robert

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
I reckon you're doing a great job Robert, turning this old kit into a gem. Look forward to seeing more progress.

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
I have been doing some research on the ordinance that the F4C carried and it seems that standard armament was 4 X Aim 7 Sparrows and 4 Aim-9 Sidewinders.
Dubster sent me some external stores as the ones that came with the kit were poor quality and lots of sink holes .
I can use the 4 Sparrows but I have seen there was only 1 sidewinders that Dubster sent me , so I have ordered Hasegawa 1/48 weapons set C which will give me plenty to work with.
Ref shows me that the 4C widely used the Aim-9B

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Well after a weeks jury duty I got back to the Phantom. After some rescribing I decided to go for the black basing. Once all masking was complete I used Vallejo 74.602 Negro surface primer all over. I then gave the undersurface's a thin coat/mist of 71.057 Black.
Taking Ian's advice on black basing I then started with a 40/60 paint to thinners light gull grey 71.121 ( USAF underside colour in splotches and swirls ( my swirls not brilliant.
Once this is dry I'll go over again with same colour 20/80 paint to thinners light mist.
I've never done this attempt at painting but it seems rather effective. I also did the fuel tanks same way
Pics and comments welcome

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    70.5 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    92 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    77.6 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    67.6 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    57.9 KB · Views: 3

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Coming on nicely robert , the black base and random swirls looks very interesting , i might have to try that sometime

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
All looking very nice. The black basing is something I might try (Thanks Ian)

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Finished a shift this morning abd came home to postie delivering parcel from China?? Hmm I wonder
Well it was my weapons set C that I had ordered
It's blooming an awful lot of kit that I won't be using on this project but heh there's always spare drawer. Patrick gave me some weapons but I needed a few more
Crisp mouldings and lots of detail and even a weapons layout for each version of Phantom and type of missiles etc carried , lots of weapons and lots of nice decals.
Well I can now get back on with this project.
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

D

dubster72

Your Phantom will definitely be loaded for bear now Robert! :smiling3: