Rocket locomotive scratchbuild

B

baz

Hello everyone,

I have taken a short break from interstellar space and had a go at building for the first time a scratchbuilt locomotive, and what better one than the first succesful one the rocket. I hope that you gentlemen approve please let me know what you think. All hand made with a little help from evergreen rod and tube pluse ema hexegan rods. I have no idea what the scale works out at ( I just build what feels right ) but for comparison the tiny model in the pics is the Dapol ho scale model.

The Rocket will be soon on display at TRANSPORT MODELS IN PRESTON LANCASHIRE SOON,

regards Barrie ( the old guy )

View attachment 108414

View attachment 108415

View attachment 108416

View attachment 108417

View attachment 108418

View attachment 108419

View attachment 108420

View attachment 108421

View attachment 108422

View attachment 108423

DSCF1834.jpg

DSCF1895.jpg

DSCF2073.jpg

DSCF2209.jpg

DSCF2475.jpg

DSCF2476.jpg

DSCF2480.jpg

DSCF2504.jpg

DSCF2499.jpg

DSCF2488.jpg

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
I definetly like this one i wouldn`t like to say but the scale might be bordering on G scale can't wait for the finished artical

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
That is incredible!! It looks fantastic and can't wait to see the finished product.

Well done

Robert ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

bazers

SMF Supporter
First Name
barry
Great Baz looking foreward to seeing it finished nice to see a scratchbuild.

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
That is some superb model engineering going on Baz ......... Absolutely fantastic.

D

Deleted member 3568

Wow I built the Dapol formerly Airfix one that is some skills you are showing there.

B

baz

thank you one and all for your kind coomments I am trying to get her finished and ready for display, It made a very good relaxing change to doing sci fi what takes my fancey next is anyones guess I am open to suggestions .

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
This is well good. Its going to look fantastic with paint.

As for the next project... How about a nice big scale well bike. The ones that the para's used in Holland?

S

Stevekir

Very impressive. How did you make all those rivet heads? When I did a bit of scratch building years ago for railway rolling stock I punched a dimple in plastic and used a razor blade on the other side to slice it off. (Obsessive or what!)

B

baz

\ said:
Very impressive. How did you make all those rivet heads? When I did a bit of scratch building years ago for railway rolling stock I punched a dimple in plastic and used a razor blade on the other side to slice it off. (Obsessive or what!)
Hello Stevekir,

well I have to admit something they are not rivets but thin slices of evergreen rod, and EMA hexagon rod in various sizes, just sliced thin with my trusty model knife cemented in place then I coat them again later with cement and this smooths outthe top edge a little creating the rivet effect or sometimes I just give a quick snad over them to take of the hard edge. I hope this helps a little give it a try on a test bit.

regards Barrie ( the old guy ) here are pics of other models with ( rivets )

View attachment 108779

View attachment 108780

View attachment 108781

View attachment 108782

DSCF4365.jpg

tanks 2 032.jpg

track off side.jpg

DSCF1480.jpg

S

Stevekir

\ said:
well I have to admit something they are not rivets but thin slices of evergreen rod, and EMA hexagon rod in various sizes, just sliced thin with my trusty model knife cemented in place
Well, you must have been busy with the craft knife. A very convincing effect.

B

baz

\ said:
Now that's very cool indeed I like it.
scott
thanks Scott,

it would seem a few people like it I am trying to get her painted ( not my forte ) but I am giving it a go pics will be on site soon. It looks like you are into military vehicles here are a few I prepared earlier as they say on Blue Peter. by the way they are all scratchbuilt from flat sheet and evergreen rod and tube etc.

View attachment 108947

View attachment 108948

View attachment 108949

View attachment 108950

View attachment 108951

View attachment 108952

DSCF5763.jpg

DSCF5793.jpg

m2 over all shot.jpg

DSCF6579.jpg

DSCF6605.jpg

whippet one.jpg

S

Stevekir

\ said:
........I am trying to get her painted ( not my forte )
From the painting of your military models, especially the weathering, I don't think you need have any doubts of your ability to create a good finish.

B

baz

Thank you Stevekir,

well here is the rocket fresh off the launch pad so to speak, she will now be going into orbit and on display at TRANSPORT MODELS PRESTON LANCASHIRE what a chuffing job this has been, but I have enjoyed it very much a good change from my sci fi model work. Please feel free to coment as I only learn from finding out what could be improved all model makers should stick together.

View attachment 109036

View attachment 109037

View attachment 109038

View attachment 109039

View attachment 109040

View attachment 109041

View attachment 109042

View attachment 109043

DSCF2565.jpg

DSCF2566.jpg

DSCF2569.jpg

DSCF2574.jpg

DSCF2585.jpg

DSCF2586.jpg

DSCF2600.jpg

DSCF2598.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well looks to me like you managed to paint it rather good.

As you probably know already if you want to add a bit of wood grain texture to plastic strip a good rough bit of sand paper does the trick.

A very good build of a Great British icon. Love it.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
By the way a good quick riveting effect, mark the back of a thin plastic sheet or strip where you want a rivet and press an old biro into the back. Do it on a cutting mat so the dimple has a place to go.

B

baz

Thank you very much for your comments mr muddle ( Ian ) and for the tips all information on model building is filed and logged ready to put into what ever next takes my fancy. I may have another go at a more modern train in the future.