Ron's...."It 'aint all bad here in 'nam, Ma"

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Hi all, here is my stab at this build.

If I can, I like to try and go off on a bit of a tangent with these builds and I've come up with this idea:-

Vietnam was not all blood and guts, so picture this. In a rest area well away from the fighting, a young G.I. has taken a short walk and has stumbled across a little bit of paradise and his thoughts turn to home..........

No sprue shots yet as I am still trying to source a figure.

Bit of a long shot, but has anyone got just one surplus G.I. Vietnam figure + gear, they would be willing to part with? Anything would do, as I will be butchering him to suit my needs anyway. If anyone has, can they P/M me please? Thanks.

I intend to incorporate small waterfalls falling into a good sized pool, jungle greenery and anything else that comes to mind during the build.

I had a rummage in the loft and found some right angled polystyrene, so I used this for the 10" X 5" X 4" base and 'cliff face'. The pool ledge is a bit of styrene stuck down with UHU all purpose glue. The pool edge and watercourse is built up in the same way. Then I covered the thing here and there with my usual tile adhesive to form the rockface ect. Some people prime the poly with p.v.a. first, I don't bother and the adhesive sticks just fine.....The waterfall lip is formed from a bit of scrap styrene.

Here are a few pictures of this morning's progress, and as it's still raining, I have a good excuse to push on with the model!

Thanks for looking,

Ron

View attachment 47722

View attachment 47723

View attachment 47724

View attachment 47725

View attachment 47726

View attachment 47727

It 'aint all bad here in 'nam, ma 013.jpg

It 'aint all bad here in 'nam, ma 001.jpg

It 'aint all bad here in 'nam, ma 004.jpg

It 'aint all bad here in 'nam, ma 005.jpg

It 'aint all bad here in 'nam, ma 009.jpg

It 'aint all bad here in 'nam, ma 011.jpg

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Sounds interesting Ron. Looking forward to the progress.

I'm afraid I don't any GIs circa Vietnam War (not really my area of expertise) but someone surely has one figure? If not can eBay come to the rescue?

Anyway, best of luck with the build.

Cheers

Paul

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for that Paul. It will only be a simple mini dio. but there are elements in it I've never attempted before.

I've looked on ebay and there are single figures available, but the cost is rediculous.....£12.00 odd for one 1/35 figure!

I'm sure something will turn up and there's plenty of time for this build, so no panic....yet!

Cheers,

Ron

C

Caledonia

Hi Ron, I love how you build your masterpieces from mostly scrap, that's modelling at its best. Cheers Derek

P

phalinmegob

you do come up with some great ideas ron, i have joined the P.A.S (polystyrene appretiation society) for my latest build and will forward my subscription to you asap.cannot wait to see what you come up with on this one.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hi Ron. You could have the two figures from my Ontos build if they're any good to you. They're free to a good home so if you're interested, PM your address.

Gern

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great stuff ron, its going to be interesting to see how it develops, cant wait to see the waterfall, cheers tony

T

tecdes

Some of you blokes make something great out of nothing.

You are very imaginative Ron.

Would it not be great to have a national exhibition of the work produced on this forum. I think the general public would be stunned by the imagination technical ability & artistic nature of the work..

Laurie

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the comments boys.....

Ian, I'm waiting for some inspiration so it can develop!lol

Derek, the great scratch building on your trawler is far more difficult than anything I've done, but thanks for the compliments just the same.

Andrew, thanks mate, marvellous stuff isn't it? I look forward to receiving your subscription in due course......

Dave, that's great, thanks. I'll p.m. you my address.

Tony, you can't wait to see the waterfall......neither can I, it should be a hoot!

Cheers,

Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
First off, a great big thanks to Dave (Gern) for his generous offer of his spare 'Ontos' figures.....Cheers Dave!

I know I did my 'Iwo Jima' dio. a while back, but I'm hoping this one will be 'Thick jungle', and not having done it before, I'm looking forward to having a bash at it....

O.K., it's still raining, so I have pushed on a bit!

I have done some more work on the 'pond' and stream. I deliberately used a thick polystyrene base (1") to allow me to dig out the water feature using an old screw driver.

I then painted the bed with various greens and blues, finishing at the deepest spot, under the waterfall with black. Using a dark colour last gives the illusion of depth, even on a flat surface....... The pictures show the stages.

Next I added some garage sweepings and bits lying under my modelling table to simulate stones ect.

Then I used a bit more adhesive to layer the area around the water's edge and a bit more to the cliff side. When this dries, I will do more work on the pond.

I have also started to add some slime, using green paint from a cheap set of kiddies watercolours. The boulders are just roughly placed for now and will be painted!

The base is starting to look something like now, so as soon as the rain stops, I can start foraging in the lane for some jungly stuff! (I'm sure one day someone will see me and ring up for the 'Happy Bus' to come and collect me!)

Cheers,

Ron

View attachment 47795

View attachment 47796

View attachment 47797

View attachment 47798

View attachment 47799

View attachment 47800

It 'aint all bad here in 'nam, ma 016.jpg

It 'aint all bad here in 'nam, ma 006.jpg

It 'aint all bad here in 'nam, ma 007.jpg

It 'aint all bad here in 'nam, ma 010.jpg

It 'aint all bad here in 'nam, ma 012.jpg

It 'aint all bad here in 'nam, ma 015.jpg

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
Another one of your quality build a coming.. keep them pictures coming

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
The master is at it again i see, going to watch this with interest.

Have fun mate, John

C

CDW

I like the twist in this theme Ron, looking forward to see what you do with it, mind you the start ain't that bad :smiling3: :smiling3:

B

Boldman

Its great when the magic happens :smiling3: Looking forward to seeing the foliage you create. Seems like forever since I last built a landscape dio... oh wait yes it was, it was way back last summer!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks boys for your very encouraging comments..

Hey John boy, where y'all been bro., you bin' hunt'n charlie down?........Hows that for 'nam speak John?!

I've done a bit more work with the water:-

After I was happy with the stuff on the river bed, I managed to find some thin plastic sheet the missus had some towels packed in, and bedded a suitable piece into the contours of the pond. I kept this above the bed of the water course by about 5mm, this gave it some nice, natural depth perspective. I then sealed it into place using some more adhesive. One thing I noticed when it was drying, trapped condensation formed on the underside of the 'surface'. I made a couple of small holes in the plastic with a hot pin and this allowed the moisture to escape. This water method is so simple, costs nothing, doesn't smell and adapts to any water surface you want. But be warned..leave little vent holes!

I also wanted some trailing vines to hang here and there and came up with this:-

Nick some green cotton from the wife, and with something around 2" across (I used a rule) wrap the cotton around a few times. Carefully take the loop off and glue the loop at one end. When dry, cut the loop at the unglued end, this will leave you with an upside down 'U' shape. trim one or two ends so they are not all the same length, damp the thread and twist the ends. This opens up the fibres so you don't get a blund end to the hanging vines....Job done!

Here are a few shots of the above. The pictures don't really show how the plastic gives the water depth and reflections, but I am very happy with the real thing!

Next up will be the waterfalls....I don't want bloody great, thunderous ones, just a gentle cascade....Bless!

Plenty to do yet, but I hope you approve of progress thus far, and thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Ron

View attachment 47864

View attachment 47865

View attachment 47866

View attachment 47867

View attachment 47868

It 'aint all bad here in 'nam, ma 019.jpg

It 'aint all bad here in 'nam, ma 021.jpg

It 'aint all bad here in 'nam, ma 022.jpg

It 'aint all bad here in 'nam, ma 017.jpg

It 'aint all bad here in 'nam, ma 018.jpg

D

dubster72

What a simple yet effective water effect! Ron you're a genius! And the vines look great too.

This will be a good one.

Cheers

Patrick

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Patrick, I'm glad you like it, and as always I appreciate your comments.

Cheers,

Ron