Safe heater for hobby room?

E

emul8ter25

Looking for a little advice. It's time that I get a heater for my hobby room as the weather gets colder. I'm concerned about the safety as I use lacquer paints and thinners. I do have a spray booth that is vented out a window but the smell does build up a bit in the room. The fan heaters are nice because they work fast but would they pose a safety issue? What type of heater should I get?

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I agree an oil filled radiator is the best option, with one with a thermostat you can leave on very low to keep the room from getting damp.

I used one at my last house in the UK in my woodworking room attached to the garage, no solvents but fine dust was an issue.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Ive used oil filled rads in the past and theyre fine (until mine started leaking oil like an old MGB !) i now use a 3 bar halogen heater which seems to heat up the shed quicker than the oil rads but is still safe with all the flammable gases knocking about (from the airbrush btw , not me !) cheers tony

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Not sure a fan heater would be good. It would set up air currents which would blow all your sanding dust everywhere - especially on your painted bits.