Saturn V nearing completion

M

m1ks

A couple of pics, painted, Klear coated, decals applied, next a few small bits to glue on and top coat to do.

Not happy with the surface after Klear coating, (new Pledge Klear), but I don't know if it was the paint underneath which wasn't quite smooth enough, this is possible as the Silver pod at the top seems smoother, also the new Klear seems thinner so maybe needed more coats to smooth off, made decaling a bit of a pain, tried Revell decal softener which have to say i'm not astounded by, will have to pick up some microsol as i've heard nothing but good things about it.

Took about three seperate applications to soften the decals enough to deform to the ridges and lumps on the rockets surface.

Anyway, heres the pics.

View attachment 16072View attachment 16073

View attachment 24257

View attachment 24258

saturn v bottom.jpg

saturn v top.jpg

F

Fenlander

That does look impressive Mike, very nice. I use Microsol and have had no problems with it. Sometimes one coat and the decals suck onto the surface and sometimes it takes a few applications. Depends on the decals rather than the solution.

M

m1ks

Thanks Graham, I could've done a better job of the paint, theres a bit of bleed of the black and I kicked myself after for not masking far enough so theres a few bits of overspray, however, first Rocket so i'm quite pleased, painting a trio of 1:144 astronauts on seats is fun too :smiling3: , will get pics of them tomorrow when the paints dry.

I guess the decals on this kit may have been thicker or tougher than usual but previous Airfix planes decals have been quite compiant, will save the Revell as a handy backup but from what I've read Microsol seems to be a more aggressive solvent, the Revell's not bad over a few app's where needed but I doubt it'd deal well with tricky curves such as your recent Honda.