Roadable aircraft.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
459236d0.jpg

Now here is something that could combine the talents of both an aeromodeller and a model vehicle enthusiast ? this is one mans attempt to make an aircraft that could be driven in car form to the local airport,then the wings would fold out and she could be flown away.

This is called the Taylor Aerocar and was a successful flyer unlike many similar attempts that ended in disaster,the Cessna 336 conversion had a Chrysler car mated to it but this one dived in shortly after taking off on its first flight.

It could be done in model form with a bit of planning,who is going to be the first to make a model roadable aeroplane ?

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Old ideas still seem to be re-hashed every so often. The latest flying car is using a Lotus Elise for the car part. pic from www.aerocar.com
*** Very adventurous Duncan,but the weight of that car even though it is a lightweight model ? :thinking:

D

duncan

Loads of attempts in "The Roadable Times" . The Boeing people have co-ax heli model. Check www.roadabletimes.com Look for the Boeing page among the ancient and modern, mad and some quaint, optomistic and ask why bother.

K

Kiwi

Hey! I recognise some of those from the Aircraft Recognition thread!

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
The roadable aircraft has long been a dream of designers,one day I am sure it will have been done successfuly and in a practical manner,it could be closer than we all think ?

A

artic-corsair

A Few Years Ago A Disabled ( Woman I Think) Was Pictured In A Magazine Flying A Model Vw Beetle ,high Wing,twin Boom, Engine On The Back Of The Car.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
A Few Years Ago A Disabled ( Woman I Think) Was Pictured In A Magazine Flying A Model Vw Beetle ' date='high Wing,twin Boom, Engine On The Back Of The Car.[/quote']*** Paul I would like to know more about this aircraft ? any idea which magazine it was please ?

K

Kiwi

Reading this thread I'm not sure, was this a model VW or a full size one?