silly me...Bentley Blower

J

johndut66

It's been over a year since I last posted, and that was Tamiya's mosquito.
So, I thought, what else is big and time consuming.?
This is.
bentley by John Dutfield, on Flickr
It's been a LONG time since the word Airfix was on my worktop, and I'd forgotten all about trimming knives, filler, sanding tools, ramps, clamps. benders, twisty things and swearing.
Anyway, here's a few photos of progress so far :smiling3:
twin carbs by John Dutfield, on Flickr

engine 2 by John Dutfield, on Flickr

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
I did an older version of this kit a couple of years ago so I will be looking in to see how the kits aged.
And welcome to the forum

J

johndut66

I did an older version of this kit a couple of years ago so I will be looking in to see how the kits aged.
And welcome to the forum
Judging from the pressing quality, not much! I winder that Airfix don't invest in new machinery, but then, how many of us are there? :smiling3:

D

Deleted member 3568

It's a good kit for it's age, I can't see them retooling for such a niche kit but it can be made really impressive, I've seen several very good builds, you should check Peter's out.

J

johndut66

A few days later and I wish to register a complaint! Humbrol brunswick green, I accuse you of being a damned nuisance! 3 coats and still transparent!!
'Though I've shaken you and stirred you,
By the Gods I don't deserve you,
You're a thinner paint than normal, Humbrol Green'
(apologise to Kipling).
Anyway. Engine and bloer finished, petrol tank near completion, and the chassis near done with ONE coat of the cursed brunswick!

In this top pic, the chassis has one coat, the top of the tank2, and this near side 3 (hard to see but almost ok...4 should do it).

watery green.jpg so far.jpg

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
Looking good I would have put a matt green coat on first to serve as a sort of under coat its worked for me plenty of times

D

Deleted member 4203

Looks good, John. I look forward to seeing how this develops :smiling3:

J

johndut66

thanks all...ok..matt green first...an acrylic paint I guess, maybe i can spray the lot pre assembly?? But which one. All ideas welcomed.

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
If you are using enamel I guess you are brushing!
A couple of coats of matt green enamel would work OK
As an ex hairy stick user it's worked for me lots of times

J

johndut66

brush for enamels and acrylics in small areas...I only wheel the compressor out for large areas of paint. Anyhow, I think I have sorted it now, with a green undercoat (just drying now, but should cut it down to 2 top coats anyawy. Not happy tho, so may open a topic in the paint section maybe.

D

Deleted member 3568

You will also find further tins will be different shades as per why mine ended up different shades of green, keep at it looking good.

J

johndut66

about quarter way now. Decided to abandon green for the chassis and mixed a 'steel colour instead, which I like. Apologies to purists!

View attachment 287155

Attachments

• chassis R.jpg
    chassis R.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 14
D

Deleted member 3568

It's your model mate and I agree it does look good.