Some thoughts on Zukie-Mura

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I have just started my second kit from this company. Some years ago I built their Skyraider and found it an excellent kit. Now it is the turn of their P51 Mustang.

There are divided opinions about this manufacturer with some people claiming them to be over-engineered and/or overly expensive. I beg to differ.

The whole concept for their kits is different to other companies. When I build a Tamiya, Hasegawa or other manufacturers kit it is in part a ‘homage’ to those who flew, fought and often died in these machines.

Zukie-Mura is different in that these kits are just as much a ‘homage’ to those who designed and built these aircraft and deservedly so.

Let’s look at this Mustang for example.

The packaging shouts quality from the strong box to the individually wrapped sprues and the careful way the transparencies are protected. Then we have the instructions, or should I say manual. ZM provide everything you need to guide to to a good result with their kit. Sloppy Dragon instructions, they are not, basic Trumpeter guides, no, scrappy Revell instructions, no. These are masterpieces of instructions. Take a look at a few pages.
65BF769C-2233-4C79-A13A-5FD4F217D07D.jpeg
932E7034-7ADD-4FA0-8DB2-EF8E9853289E.jpeg66F8409F-A1EE-4EE3-B4F4-38FE9AA57C6C.jpeg4A384468-39F7-483D-92CF-9683FEC6B5D4.jpeg466EFF30-587D-4783-94AA-E47CB708ED34.jpeg21A9F224-0CF1-42F7-BC0F-E3252CF0892C.jpeg
Note that they actually tell you what the parts represent, not just provide a drawing of an anonymous part.

But of course there is also the matter of the plastic. Take this for detail:
AB8675D6-F7E5-4AAE-B3A4-71E0549271BC.jpeg
Note the cylinder positions. Now there is no way this detail can ever be seen but it is an education in how an engine works. This is something of a trade mark for ZM and this is one thing that gives rise to the accusations of over engineering. I like it. These people care about the models they produce and this is their way to show that they are more than just a big corporate out to make money. They are enthusiasts with a sense of humour.

They produce overall fine detail. The moulds are not quite as clean as Tamiya, the plastic not quite as good quality. But there is not much in it.

So far I have just been working on the engine, the fit has been excellent so far. I am not sure how well the panels will fit around the skeleton on this aircraft and I am not sure just how well suited it will be for a NMF. But this is part of the challenge.

I still think that the Tamiya P51 remains the best 1/32 P51 model money can buy but this ZM kit is not far behind and provides an alternative build experience with its completely different engineering. As modellers we are lucky to have two such excellent kits of this iconic aircraft. For those for whom cost is an issue then there is the Revell kit as well providing us with a superb choice in 32 scale. Now if only ZM would do a Spitfire to give us the same range of options for that iconic aircraft.7CF694FD-15FF-4F07-A555-0323A56CF2B1.jpeg

Last edited:

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I am not doing a normal build thread for my ZM P51 but instead I will continue to post progress and comments on the build on this thread.

Now this kit is one of their early ones and subsequently they have stopped producing kits in multi colour plastic and have improved the quality of the plastic. Looking at my other ZM kits in the stash the improvement really shows. The Raiden plastic looks to Tammy standard with much cleaner and sharper molds. Even the Ta 152, a re-pop of a very early kit, looks much better than this P51 . They did more than just add some different sprues make the prototype and the sprues look as good as any I have seen.

Back to the P51.
I have been working on the engine. Fit is good but because of the plastic I am glad that I do not intend to ‘show’ the engine. In theory it is better detailed than the Tammy but in practise a presentable Merlin for this model is not so easy. That said I am not taking a great deal of trouble over it as it will be buttoned up.

I have had some fun and games with the exhausts though. First issue was fitting the back plates, one went on easily into the right position or at least I hope it’s the right position as a lack of positive locations don’t help. It does match the photos though. The other needed some attention with a sanding stick.

The main problem was sandwiching the exhaust stubs between the back plates and the shrouds with their individual holes.

904FFECA-EC6D-4087-9CDA-D068A7B6BC88.jpeg
CB7BB78D-812C-4E2F-B3C8-2EF133B9B0DC.jpeg

My solution was to cement them into the shrouds and when dry cut the backs off the exhausts so the shrouds fit perfectly over the back plate.

057DED01-7859-49CD-B26C-8312E3EE39D5.jpeg
684F9D6C-2C7C-4D96-9869-B0183CEAFB4D.jpeg
CB75CC2E-AF14-4493-9FD3-5D7E79935F61.jpeg

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Some more shots of the Mustang.
IMG_3232.jpg
IMG_3233.jpg
IMG_3237.jpg
IMG_3238.jpg
So far so good. Fit is very good but the complex construct leave little tolerance which could have a knock on effect on the fit. I am concerned at how the 'skin' will fit over the framing. We shall see.

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
Never built one of these kits but have seen a couple built and love their instruction manuals. Will be watching this build.

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

I should post my He 219 manual here as well.
I also endorse ZM as they are a one of a kind company. Sure, their riveting is not the same as Eduard’s or Tamiya’s but their detail is outstanding. My only qualm is that their aftermarket sets are expensive. Nevertheless, I still bought the interior PE set for my 1/32 Uhu. These kits are expensive but worth every $ spent. I now have two ZM in the stash, the 1/32 He 219A-0 which is a true beast in both size and detail and a very highly detailed 1/48 Ta 152 (which is to be finished.
Cheers

First Name
Gwyn
I also like the look of the instructions, this is looking good so far Barry, I will look forward to seeing the progress.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
A quick update.
I have fitted the engine panels. If doing this again I would cement the exhaust shrouds to the inside of the panels first and the sand down the engine a little. The tail assembly also done and I have started on the wing assembly.
F62113BA-09EE-422F-B125-CF48A15B6875.jpeg82AEEB0B-3C06-4906-9C89-1AE65686E4F1.jpegE10AB6B4-76F5-4A15-8EFD-9BB13071E14D.jpeg7F85729A-A214-466E-933B-759CC9B56832.jpeg59F741D7-F847-4F5B-A3EB-A5FB928ED684.jpeg7CD6CED0-BD77-4C69-9B8A-1E3D103A46A9.jpeg

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I am hitting some real problems over panel fit. I know where I went wrong. It was fitting the engine panels at too early a stage. If building another of these I would do what I said earlier, just build up the engine block and cement the exhausts to the inside of the engine panels, not to the engine. That way I would have got the side and other panels on with the wing fitted and the engine panels would then attach easily enough around the engine, perhaps with some sanding down of the engine. I would not attempt to put the engine on show incidentally. You can see the issue here in these photos. The dry fit of the wing has a step that I will need to fill sand and blend. The panels will need sanding but the biggest problem is the top section due to the complex shape.
05919983-AD52-4C18-AB68-5E58E0C6963E.jpegE9780637-3A5A-425F-8EEA-7C2BBBF1301A.jpegFD2499A5-8676-473C-AA2D-E3859BFC590D.jpeg1F3A7533-EB0A-4F64-B3AA-077976D96861.jpeg53CAC4A6-6C0F-445B-9604-D9144B1FE628.jpeg721A4C2C-0B8B-4E29-9871-3F743035EE16.jpeg
I started work on the top part first cutting down the instrument panel to stop it catching at the top Then I sanded the top panel section to fit the gap. As you can see that worked except in doing this I ended up with a gap where I over sanded or did so at the wrong angle. That will need filling. The sides and wing fairing next.B0727DC1-1E3E-4915-975A-51E1540EA363.jpeg
Bear in mind that this is intended for a natural metal finish I am not sure if at the end of the process I will get a finish good enough for that. Consequently I may end up binning the kit. We shall see, I will work at the fit and see what the result is before deciding.

Believe it or not though, in spite of this I am actually enjoying this build as the engineering is actually fun to deal with!!!

If only I had thought about cementing the exhausts to the panels instead of the engine earlier!!!!

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
One further point. I am off to Croatia for a week, business and pleasure, so I may not get to post an update for a week or two but might get one in before I go on Monday.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Managed to get another hour in.
Got the panels sanded down and fitted. Plugged a gap with plastic card and filler ready to sand down. Then I spotted what is likely to be a fatal flaw.

Below you can see the panels fitted and filled. I was pleased at that point convinced I could sand an acceptable finish.
66BC1D15-05F4-4987-839B-30006108700D.jpeg
The. I went to dry fit the wing and I spottted a problem below
6A16586E-D677-47AC-992B-F295F99676E1.jpeg
I cannot see a way to solve that and I have no idea how that massive step occurred. I will sleep on it but I am pretty sure this will result in the model getting binned. Pity. I did enjoy the build but with this engineering there is no room for error.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
This is just to confirm that I decided that any attempt to rescue this kit was doomed. I would have had to cut away the panels and engine to find the problem. Looking closely at it I really do not think that I would have been able to achieve a good enough result for a decent NMF.

This is a good kit. A little over ambitious in its engineering perhaps. I did enjoy it and the whole problem was my fault and arose over cementing the exhausts to the engine as per the instructions. It all went wrong from that point in a knock on effect. If I cemented the exhausts, in their shrouds, to the inside of the engine covers, cut away the rear of the exhausts and perhaps sanded down the extremities of the engine block I could have proceeded in the order of the kit instructions and would have had a good result with sufficient play to position the engine panels properly without issues. I might even do another one day to prove my point.

If you have this kit and intend to build it with the engine on show then I think that you will have a whole series of different challenges but there is no reason why you should not get a good result.

This was an early kit by ZM and looking at the Raiden I think they have learned a lot since then.

Do not be put off ZM by this result they are greats kits and this was a failure of my build planning more than anything.

Thinking of my last four builds what an odd streak of kits this has been.

First the Revell FW190, truly a very shoddy kit in just about every sense. That ended up in the rubbish bin where it deserved. Revell are capable of producing good 1/32 scale kits as the Arado shows but overall they lose a lot in just going for cheap. I have no inclination to build Revell again - until next time that is.... (must be a bit like childbirth, a mother screaming never again only to get broody once the pain of childbirth has faded)

The there was the Special Hobby Yak 3. I anticipated issues with this short run kit and was not disappointed. I did not enjoy the build at all. Poor engineering and bad fit plagued it. The canopy must have been designed for a different model the fit was so bad. At least I finished it, not exactly pride of place on my shelves but as long as you don’t peek too closely at the cockpit to see the side walls that became detached it looks OK. Special Hobby has one virtue in that they produce 1/32 scale kits of subjects ignored by the large manufacturers but they are just not very good at it. I have dropped any idea of getting the Whirlwind they are bringing as I just don’t want to face one of those again. Well not until next time that is......childbirth again.

Then I had the Trumpeter Dauntless. What a great kit that was. A true joy from start to finish. Trumpeter get a lot of stick but when they put their A Team on a project they are capable of producing something to rival the
best of Tamiya.

Then of course this ZM P51. I cocked up, it was all down to me. This is not as good a kit as the Tamiya P51 but once you have built a couple of those and want a quality P51 with some very different challenges then this is the kit you need. I would love to see one of you take one of these and succeed where I failed. Who knows I might get another myself as I still have some brilliant P51 nose art to use up and I dont want to waste it.

Now for that Dragon Bf109.....

First Name
Wouter
Sure is a pitty this one can't be recovered, Zoukei Mura's kits aren't known for their cheap price, so what a shame. Still, onto the next ey :smiling6:

Still got two of their kits on my wishlist: the Ta-152 and the He219 Uhu...

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I must admit it is not a name I am familiar with and they do appear to be not for the feint hearted. It is a great shame you have to bin it.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Barry
Could you perhaps resurrect this as a set of cutaways showing constructional detail?
Cheers
Tim

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
I feel gutted for you Barry, you've had some dodgy old kits of late, and now your starting a dragon! Lol
Remember the key with dragons are 1. Don't follow the instructions too close and 2. Dry fits much as possible!