Somewhere on the Volga. Summer 1942 by Ian M

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
I like it ian! battle of the beach buggies! cant wait to see how you do this one, ive been tempted by the schwimmwagen myself a few times, but i never realised tamiya did a DUKW too (albeit a littler russian one), excellent stuff, cheers tony

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Tony, the 'Russian' Amphi is actually a US 1/4 tonner Tamiya do both a US version and a special Edition Russian one compleat with ICM tank Reccy unit.

Ian M

B

bikerbart

Nice one Ian, liking the sound of this little corker you have in store for us....i will be there for the jorney, regards Martin :smiling:

F

Fenlander

Never seen that Russian amphibious before in either version, very nice and with ICM figures too, very sweet. Sounds like another imaginative scenario to look forward to.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
A really interesting choice of subject matter Ian. Also, a chance to model some scenic water? Sweet kits, being Tamiya they should go together quite nicely, and from what I know of ICM figures these should be well sculpted too. Good luck with your Recce Ruskies!

Cheers

P

C

Cov1

What a great idea, haha brilliant.:cool2:

Best wishes

Ade

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Still Looking for a few bits, and having a bit of bother. I was looking for some Prieser Adam and eva figures. SIX weeks delivery!!! There are some on flea bay, In all scales other than 1/35!!! (And to a higer price than RRP)

So looks like there wont be any nude bathing :sad:

Must try to find the time to make a start soon...

Ian M

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
This looks like it's going to be a fun build Ian.

Have fun, John

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Right I had a few moments while waiting for the kettle to boil so I gt started on the 4X4amphi jeep.

Typical Tamiya, almost falls together, so After about 20 minuts, I got this.

OK I did stop to drink my tea this time, so I still need to do the cabin part. Then is a splosh of primmer.

Might start on the other one later and paint them together.

Ian M

View attachment 24904

View attachment 24905

View attachment 24906

05072010619.jpg

05072010617.jpg

05072010615.jpg

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
That's the beauty of Tamiya kits - really good fit and build. This looks great, lovely little kit.

You did well though in 20 mins (although it's not a race - so I'm told :winkingshades:!!!)

Great start and an interesting build. Will there be any water in this dio?

Cheers

P

B

bikerbart

Ian, next time you ave the kettle on...mines a coffee, white no sugar thanks :coffee2: Great going on the build mate, well done, all the best Martin :smiling:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
@ Paul: Ye there might well be a bit of water involved here. As for being quick; there are not that many parts to the jeep its self...54 i think. So I'm only really about half way though!!!

@ Martin; Why spoil a perfectly good cup of coffee by putting milk in it??? I'll send a message and you can get the bike started. Might well be cold by the time you get here though!! :smiling:

Onwards and upwards as superman would say.

Ian M

R

rogue-one

hi ian, thats looking good. i've never see one of these in model and painted up. tho, i'm sure i had a big plastic version for action-man when i was a kid and dragged it throu puddles all day.(good days) he he. i'm now very interested to see what your going to do with it.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Can any one recomend some good Figures, German and Russian, that can be assembled rather than just one part! Have some gerry infantry but they fall into the second catagory; Moulded all in one!!!

Need to be able to pose them so seperat arms and legs if poss. would be a great help!

Any ideas suggestions well received.

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Ops Forgot! Here are a couple of snaps of the tub after primer.

Makes it a bit easier to see dont it!

So might get a bit of colour on it after Germany has whipped Spain's but in the footy!

Ian M

View attachment 25012

View attachment 25013

07072010622.jpg

07072010621.jpg

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Ian

Figures: Dragon or Master Box get my vote. Dragon sculpting is generally very good and the equipment is excellent (especially on the 2nd Generation sets). Master Box have some more interesting poses and observed situations - even hand-to-hand fighting. Tamiya are also good but not as good as Dragon although the weapons tend to be sharp.

If you know what kind of scenario you've got in mind I might be able to help further.

This set (although expensive) would be great with your schwimmwagen!

Dragon 1 35 - German Pontoon Set Premium - Dra6532 - Products from Military

Or try the Scale-models shop

Ps. I wouldn't have given Germany a prayer before the world cup started, but ain't it just like them to prove everybody wrong and be the best team in the tournament!

Come on England! - oh yeah, we're out aren't we...

:sobbing:

Cheers

P

F

Fenlander

Glad you have mentioned Master Box in there Paul. Although I have decided to go over to 1:348 as my prime scale, I do have a few bits of 1:35 so I still get the odd bits. I took a chance on the Master Box German eastern front machine gun team from the Forum Shop as part of my last order. Only had a quick look but they do look very nice. Reminded me of upscaled ICM, they have character. Just hope I can make something of them.

jspitza

Jeff
First Name
Jeff
looks great, Ian! Primer is Mans best friend. Take care, Jeff

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Right then. Germany lost that was that! Never mind Holland will win any way!

Nuff about that!

The progress.

The mut boat is more or less painted! Need to put the wind sheild on and and a few 'pimpy' bits!

First primer, you saw that yesterday. Then Humbrol metalcoat; Steel. That was buffed up a bit then given a bit of hair spray. Vallejo camo olive green #70894 should be the correct green for russian army trucks and tanks. Once that was dry, I wetted it with a cotton bud and water and gently rubbed the green paint off untill the bare metal was showing. Other places it was attacked quite hard to give skuffs, scrapes and scratches.

Heres the photos.

Ian M

View attachment 25074

View attachment 25075

View attachment 25076

View attachment 25077

View attachment 25078

View attachment 25079

View attachment 25080

08072010629.jpg

08072010627.jpg

08072010626.jpg