Sound the last post

Steve Jones

Apprentice Bodger
First Name
Steve
Beautifully done Tim. It's going to be an emotional day tomorrow

One of the most gut wrenching stories of WWI was that of George Edwin Ellison. He rejoined the army shortly before the outbreak of war in 1914. He survived nearly the whole war on the front line until 9.30 on the 11/11/1918, an hour and a half before the end of the war, he was killed.

Never shall they be forgotten

First Name
Tim
Steve, that’s sad.
I deliberately picked two of these as they are prisoners of war, one from each conflict, that survived the war but died before they could be repatriated. Ellen Meares of the VAD also died after the Great War had ended, almost certainly due to nursing victims of the flue pandemic.
Here is her image
988C81C6-5DB3-4875-A66F-FDE6D5F51AE4.jpeg
Tim

First Name
Tim
For today.

Two Fusiliers

by Robert Graves

And have we done with War at last?
Well, we've been lucky devils both,
And there's no need of pledge or oath
To bind our lovely friendship fast,
By firmer stuff
Close bound enough.

By wire and wood and stake we're bound,
By Fricourt and by Festubert,
By whipping rain, by the sun's glare,
By all the misery and loud sound,
By a Spring day,
By Picard clay.

Show me the two so closely bound
As we, by the wet bond of blood,
By friendship blossoming from mud,
By Death: we faced him, and we found
Beauty in Death,
In dead men, breath.

First Name
Wouter
As long as we don't forget to remember all of them: the young lads and girls who died for the countries we fought against as well :smiling3: Something I find we tend to forget to mention.

Hopefully one day there will be a world without war, though I'm afraid that would mean an absence of humanity on this Earth ^^

Cheers

First Name
Tim
Wouter, I agree completely, as I said at the front of the thread, read the names :thumb2:
For those that don’t know, CWGC cemeteries contain burials from all nationalities, and all are treated equally. There is no distinction given to rank, creed, nationality, or religion. For info, the black and white image in the first post group was taken in a German war grave cemetery in Normandy. Apart from the couple taken at the American cemetery above Omaha beach, all the others are from CWGC Bayeux or CWGC Brookwood.

Last edited: