spanner570's Bought at Cosford for a fiver.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks all.
I've done the disruptive pattern as best I can.....wrecked the old peepers, mind! The hull is way too deep, so I just roughed in the boot topping on the port side and left it at that. I'll hide the extra depth in the 'oggin and see how it looks then.

P1170094.JPG

P1170092.JPG

P1170093.JPG

Next, the masts etc., then I'll weather it. And, as it's on Arctic duty, I'll add some icing. Then do a seascape for it to sit in/on.

Sorry for the slightly dark pictures. The actual colours are a lot lighter.

Cheers,
Ron

Last edited:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looks great ron , you forget looking at the pics how tiny this thing is!!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Been travelling about, so not much action.

I've finished the ship. The masts were way too big and thick, so I filed them down to better proportions...any more and they would have vanished completely!
I have given the whole model a coat of 'frost'.
Next, I will build a small Arctic seascape to sit the thing on.

P1170123.JPG

Cheers,
Ron

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Needs a few bits of rigging which you no doubt have planned, otherwise that's a beauty!

Only asking mind, but are you going to put handrails on?:rolleyes:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
To be honest Dave, I wasn't going to put any rigging on, as I figured at this scale it wouldn't be seen. Apart from that, I really don't think the sliver of the mast sections are capable of supporting even the most minimal of tension.

But if you think it would benefit, I will see if I have anything of a suitable gauge.....'See' being the operative word! Don't suggest human hair, as I have little enough as it is............mind you, the present Mrs. Ron will be home soon.;)

Handrails? Now you're really pushing your luck!

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
To be honest Dave, I wasn't going to put any rigging on, as I figured at this scale it wouldn't be seen. Apart from that, I really don't think the sliver of the mast sections are capable of supporting even the most minimal of tension.

But if you think it would benefit, I will see if I have anything of a suitable gauge.....'See' being the operative word! Don't suggest human hair, as I have little enough as it is............mind you, the present Mrs. Ron will be home soon.;)

Handrails? Now you're really pushing your luck!

I was only thinking of a couple of lines here and there just to show that even modern ships have rigging. Really overscale I know but it's like showing panel lines on aircraft - they're always too wide but we know they're there on the real thing and sometimes a kit doesn't look right without them.

I've got some thin EZ line which might work. PM your address if you want me to send some for you to try.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
That looks anazing mate , if you need something for the rigging , ive just been plucking my nose hairs , if you want i can send them to you in the post? -- only kidding ( theyre much too thick !!) but if daves ez line doesnt do the trick , try getting a cheap synthetic 2"paintbrush or a make up brush from the pound shop , the bristles should be plenty long enough ( its what i used to rig the 1/144 sopwith pup) and straight enough at this scale

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Cheers boys.
Tony, send me your nose cast offs. They will work a treat.....Hang on, they need to be 2" long, surely Helen would want them cut off before they grew to such a disgusting length?!

Thanks Dave, but I think I have some of that EZ line. I won it in that Cosford Raffle we had. Trouble is, I can't use anything elasticated, as the masts will snap, so I'll try summat 'solid' as Tony suggests.

Thanks for the input and suggestions boys.

Now I must get back in the garden and finish my newcleer bunker.....

Kind Regards,
Ying Tong Song

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
great work on this wee,ship,Ron,do like what your done,;)

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
It's a little cracker Ron. :smiling3: Well done mate.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
That is looking amazing Ron. The disruptive pattern has blended nicely.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the great comments folks - I do like a bit of banter! It's what helps me enjoy my model making.....I can't do serious.:smiling3:

Gavin, brilliant link. Thanks for posting it. I did chuckle.

Anyway, to keep the 'Cosford Mafia' off my back, I've done a bit of elementary rigging using some EZ line I have - Thanks for reminding me of the stuff Dave.

Here is the result. No where near what it should look like, but it breaks things up a bit.....

I'll paint the rigging to dull it down a bit later.

P1170129.JPG

The base is finished. Just a bit of tweaking to do.

Cheers,
Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Ian and Monica.

The final bit....
I've painted the rigging grey'ish and, under orders from the wife, added The Royal Navy White Ensign and an extra couple of pretty flags, made from paper and coloured thin tip pens.

That is deffo. it....I think:confused:
Here she is all frosty and finally ready for a seascape.
P1170132.JPG

Cheers all,
Ron