Spanner's 1/72 "We made it fella's....Just!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Ian and Colin for your compliments, much appreciated.

Here's a little update:-

I've had another play with the rear turret. Although there are loads of damage images available on 'tinternet, I would find it too hard to transfer them to a model. So I've relied on a bit of imagination instead!

I've used bits of plastic card for the remains of the turret frame, some foil for the ammo belt and black cotton for the broken cables.

I'm happy with the outcome, but might yet return to it and fiddle!

Cheers,

Ron

View attachment 45439

View attachment 45440

View attachment 45441

We made it....just! 021.jpg

We made it....just! 019.jpg

We made it....just! 020.jpg

M

mobear

good gosh you had a fight with the bosch,looks quite real to me,is the gunner okay lol

mobear

D

dubster72

Some great work there Ron, soon you won't need to buy any kits, you'll just turn out an excellent Tiger & tell us about the odds n sods you used to make it!

Cheers

Patrick

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I would not have wanted to be the tail gunner in that bird!

Ian M

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the posts chaps, I'm glad you approve of the progress thus far....

Strange thing, I had the same feeling when I was looking at images of damaged B-17's as I did when I was building the G.B. Omaha beach landing dio.

One of sadness and admiration for the teenage lads of all countries (right or wrong) who lost their lives so young, yet despite the heavy losses amongst aircrew, there was no shortage of people willing to take their place.

Cheers,

Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Hi all, here's a bit more progress for you.....

With dioramas I always start with just a very basic idea of what I want to do. I never plan the whole thing, but prefer to let the ideas flow from the initial build.

So what started out as dio. with just one hut, has grown to three now, one of which will remain intact. Also I have started to figure out what I'm going to do with the base.

As you have probably guessed, the extra two huts will be having a visitation from the B-17, without knocking on the doors either!

I have positioned the huts on the base, (Which is a £2.00 cork notice board) so I can get an idea where the paths/road can go, and generally get a feel for the build. Then hopefully more ideas will start to flow....

I have also started to amass the 'bits' for the two huts:- 12 loose roof trusses, hut side and roof sections and rafters, all made from thick card backings from old receipt books.

Here are the pictures of this, the first 'proper' stage.

Thanks for looking,

Ron

View attachment 45571

View attachment 45572

View attachment 45573

View attachment 45574

View attachment 45575

We made it....just! 025.jpg

We made it....just! 022.jpg

We made it....just! 023.jpg

We made it....just! 024.jpg

We made it....just! 026.jpg

C

Caledonia

Hi Ron, looking at the first two photos above its hard to believe I am looking at a model, the rear turret is wicked too. Keep up the good work. Cheers Derek

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
What! You actually went and spent some money for a dio? Most unusual young Ron but worth every penny by the time you've finished I'll bet!

Gern

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks boys for the great posts, they make for very encouraging reading.

Dave, the bride bought it for the kitchen, but it looked cheap and nasty so she donated it for dioramas, so I didn't buy it....

Honour is still intact, but hanging from a very thin thread!

Cheers boys,

Ron

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
Dave, the bride bought it for the kitchen, but it looked cheap and nasty so she donated it for dioramas, so I didn't buy it....
I've only just noticed. Immediately on the wall above my 'puter desk in my lounge is a cork notice board - it looks absolutely identical to yours Ron. I'm saying no more!

Gern

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I'm sure you're mistaken Dave, and your notice board is far superior to my wife's offering and, if you look on the back of it, it is probably a Pound Stretcher 'Limited Edition'!

Ron

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Even down to the Pound Stretcher label!

Oh woe is me for I am undone! The shame of it all! etc. etc. But now I know what to use for my next dio base!

Gern

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Hello chaps, here's a bit more progress on the dio. base......

I loosely laid the sheds out and marked around them, then removed them. I then sketched where I wanted the tarmac/ concrete.

I mixed a slurry of PVA and painted where I wanted some initial texture, turned the base over and tapped it. Turned back over, it left the muck and dust stuck to the PVA and nowhere else!

With my knife I scribed expansion gaps in the concrete, then dusted some more muck over these to dull them down a bit.

Then I made the grass. For this I used polyfilla. I spread this where I wanted the grass, let it go 'Tacky' then stippled it with a wire brush. When it was dry I painted it using green shed paint.

All this is just the first stage in building the base before the arrival of the crippled B-17........

I'm starting to get a buzz on now, and ideas are finally starting to flow.

I hope you approve of the build so far, and thanks for looking.

Cheers,

Ron

View attachment 45796

View attachment 45797

View attachment 45798

View attachment 45799

View attachment 45800

View attachment 45801

View attachment 45802

We made it....just! 027.jpg

We made it....just! 028.jpg

We made it....just! 029.jpg

We made it....just! 030.jpg

We made it....just! 031.jpg

We made it....just! 032.jpg

We made it....just! 024.jpg

D

dubster72

Excellent groundwork there Ron, just goes to show it doesn't cost the earth to make a quality dio!

Looking forward to seeing more.

Cheers

Patrick

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Come on Ron, we what more lol. Lookin' good though mate.

Have fun, John