Spitfire Mk VIII 'Pauline' - Tamiya 1/32

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
This is my third (and probably last) build of the Tamiya 1/32 Spit having previously built the Mk XVI and Mk IX.

Boxtop:
IMG_2761.jpg

I am planning to build 'Pauline' based in Indiia January 1946 so she is a post war bird. I have found a couple of photos of her.
pauline 2.jpg
pauline.jpg
Photos are supposed to answer queries about an aircraft but these photos just provide more questions... Here is the art work on the Kits-World decals from which I will only use the nose art, I have some masks for the roundels and serial number simply because they look so much better and are easier to do than decals. I have to say that the Kits-World decals are the best I have found for two reasons: They are very thin and conform nicely while not tending to splinter holding together nicely when positioning and, secondly, they produce decals with such superb nose art.... I am surprised I dont see more builds with these as you cannot beat a nice nude laying along the nose of a P51/B25 or whatever.
04.jpg
As you can see we have three spinner options!!! The aircraft at different points had at least two styles of spinner and Kits-World suggest a third. But what colour was used - not easy to tell from photos. But then I suppose that provides some artistic licence and my initial thoughts are to do the tip of the spinner only as in the second photo in blue.

It is a Dark Earth/Dark Green topside with Medium Sea Grey underside for which I will use MRP.

I also have the Brett Green 'How to Build' book. I forgot I had that tucked away inside this box for the previous two build so its a bit surplus now. Nevertheless it is a really nice book to have and I will be looking through as I go.
IMG_2763.jpg
One thing an article claims in the book is that all Mk VIIIs had the larger pointed rudder. Surely that is not true? One of the three Tamiya options shows the smaller rudder and of course Kits-World show the same for Pauline. Both cannot be wrong surely? My plan is to use the smaller rudder as per Kits-World unless anyone on here knows better that is.... Sadly neither photo provides the answer.

To differentiate this build I am using a lot of after-market, much more than I have ever used before.
IMG_2762.jpg
Yes - I am having another go at the fabric seatbelts. This set is labelled 'Basic Line' so maybe they will work for me this time!!!!

I will be brush detail painting with Vallejo Model Colour acrylics though all the main colours will be MRP. I have a set of MIG Oil Brushers that I have hardly used with more on order from John. So I will be experimenting with these using them for some of the weathering and trying them on some of the detail painting as well. they have such fine brushes I think they may work well for instrument panel detailing for instance. Most of the weathering will be AKI washes and pigments. Uschi metal powders will also be used where needed.

As per most of my builds I will depict her on the ground and 'buttoned up' except for an open canopy to show the 'pit detail.

I start cutting plastic tonight....

Last edited:
T

Tony

Looks like the start of an interesting build Barry.

Hope it goes well.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
A little progress made on the pit.
68E112DF-87B7-4446-B9A9-1DDB0888B184.jpeg 9883682D-941E-421A-9D9D-96E9B45C2F41.jpeg E5C9A237-7BF5-42B1-9AD8-969C72804121.jpeg
A slow start, don’t seem a lot done in just over an hours work.

J

John Rixon

That's cockpits for you Barry! Mind you, these 1/32 kits have quite big ones!

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
A little progress made on the pit.
A slow start, don’t seem a lot done in just over an hours work.

I feel your pain, whilst building part of the twin 57's on Takoms ZSU, i put some little bits together and before i knew it, it was an hour later !!

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I have a new razor saw, one of the Citadel ones, these are really well made tools and I am glad I have it as my old one would not have coped with cutting the block off the resin seat...
IMG_2768.jpg

Well another hours work with just this to show!
IMG_2769.jpg
I have not even had time to clean up the seat yet. I will take a sanding stick to it tonight. I do love the system Tamiya use for instrument panels, the reverse printed decals are a great idea, an elegent and simple solution to getting a good result. As you can see I applied them to the back of the transparencies. It is my habit to paint the back black as well as I think it helps the instrument detail pop. I will spray them when I spray the fronts.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Looks like another great build in the offing.
Cheers
Paul

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Note to self: you are a normal human being. You do not have superman’s eyesight, you do not have tiny and delicate hands with perfect co-ordination. In other words fabric seatbelts of whatever make, even labelled ‘basic’ and easy thread are not a sensible or workable option. If found lurking in a box, just toss them in the bin and do not be tempted by them and under no circumstances ever waste a penny more on them. Eduard Steel seatbelts may not look quite as good but at least they do work and don’t require the Pixies to make them up.
..... end of memo.

Anyway having disposed of the fabric belts in the accustomed manner I found a set of Steel RAF seatbelts suitable for the Spitty.

I have pulled together some more parts for the interior.

The resin seat has been built up.
754AB733-D983-4FE7-A0DD-E4B625C0D0FF.jpeg
10FD7843-ED17-460B-9A57-6F3293AD03C3.jpeg
I have drilled out the lightening holes which improves the appearance of the bulkhead.
BDD8FA5E-513C-4509-9F0A-027659298C1E.jpeg
8D6FD15E-3738-414B-B232-CC80EA9E4C80.jpeg

Getting towards the point when I paint the interior.

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
Looking good, the seat looks in good stead. Cockpits are just slow work aren't they it is what it is but as long as your enjoying the work then that's all that matters. You made my mind up I'll stick to eduard PE belts.
Looking forward to seeing some more.

T

T. van Vuuren

This is a really nice kit to build, I did one this time last year and it took all of 15 days :smiling:
The only hassle I had was the fit of the engine/mound to the fuselage, same thing on the P-51....could be that I cant build models LOL
I like your upgrades Barry. it will enhance the kit even more.

The decals I used were kit (the owner wanted them) and they took some work to put on.
Here is the one I built.....wish I had a few more of these fantastic kits.

TheunsDSC00697.JPG DSC00699.JPG

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I have not really had a lot of time at the bench over the last few days.

I have all the interior pieces ready for the first airbrush session.
D933C7FA-CA5A-4C8A-9AD4-E8E4ED0C621C.jpeg
Above are the ip parts ready for black.
6620F321-2876-4E10-97C4-64A456913538.jpeg
Above are ready for aluminium and chrome.
76C7CD43-0468-485D-8EAA-6CCEE5F66B2F.jpeg
08BB01A8-29FE-4255-950C-93DC16FF3CF8.jpeg
The above are easy for interior grey green.

Then there is detail painting to do before weathering.

Hopefully in day or two I will have this lot ready for the next assembly stage.

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
Looking good Barry and looking forward to it going together, I'm at a similar stage with my tiffy cockpit, it's seems so slow at times but we must love it I suppose.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Note to self: you are a normal human being. You do not have superman’s eyesight, you do not have tiny and delicate hands with perfect co-ordination. In other words fabric seatbelts of whatever make, even labelled ‘basic’ and easy thread are not a sensible or workable option. If found lurking in a box, just toss them in the bin and do not be tempted by them and under no circumstances ever waste a penny more on them. Eduard Steel seatbelts may not look quite as good but at least they do work and don’t require the Pixies to make them up.
..... end of memo.
I copied myself this memo after my 1:32 He 111 - and quite agree with every last word.