Stalingrad!

First Name
Stuart
Really like this one Jim,the building and street looks great and I like the colours you have gone for.doing a great job 

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
That building is awesome mate, simply superb weathering

Thanks Ken, It's my first attempt at such a project and still more colors to layer into base, and need to start figuring on rubble etc...still seems to be a big void in roadway, will have to figure something out, but nothing to detract from main theme (too much)  9_9 . Lotsa drama in this one.....what else is new? 9_9 ..........Jim :smiling3:

Dustbin

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
This is coming together very very nicely Jim. As far as filling the space can I suggest adding a third Russian :o , that way you will be showing who is winning and who is losing.

A Russian pulling a heavy MG on wheels ( if you have one in your box ) who shows no interest in his latest victims ?     Just an idea, but it's your vignette, so your choice.

Keep up the great work and I can't wait for the next update

Paul

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Nice work JIm.

Regarding the 'Big Void', how about moving the corpse in the foreground closer to the pavement, this will concentrate the figures. I reckon any more figures might make the viewer's attention wander from the original concept - the single figure in the doorway.

Then make a suitable sized crater in your excellent cobbles to replicate a mortar hit, which could have done the initial damage to the soldiers caught in the blast. Then add your rubble ect. or......

Make a small stone wall from the foam board, say 3 to 4 feet high stick it along the joint on the cobbles nearest us, then perhaps put some rubble this side of the wall. 

Just brain storming really, Jim!

Last edited by a moderator:

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Smashing work Jim, the colouring of the street and buiding are spot on! O.o B|

The figures are looking equally impressive!! :D

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
UPDATE!

Starting to flesh out a bit now, still some color tweaking on base to be done. I saved the figures for last so I can take my time fussing over them. 9_9

Hope you like progress so far.....Jim :smiling3:

100_6968.JPG

100_6965.JPG

100_6969.JPG

100_6967.JPG

100_6977.JPG

100_6980.JPG

100_6979.JPG

100_6978.JPG

100_6976.JPG

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looks great jim I do real.like this one,nice work with the color as well, :D

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Thanks, but I would be rude if I did not introduce Viktor, or "Papa" as he is known by his very young squad.(last pic) At the ripe old age of 27 he is a grizzled vet. His large peasant face shows he is no stranger to hardship even in peace time. Not concerned at all with the fallen Germans his only care is where the rest of them have scooted off to.

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
looks great jim I do real.like this one,nice work with the color as well, :D

Thanks Monica, not happy yet with colors, will keep at it. Quite a story so it seems, war is not just images on a TV screen, but flesh and blood human beings with all the hopes and fears we all possess. So sad the fine youth of Europe and indeed family men in their prime of life were so horribly sacrificed for the blind ambitions of a few.

Mankind will never rid itself of the so unnecessary horrors of war...it's in our DNA I guess :/ ..........Jim -_-

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
such true words Jim,could not put it better myself,that's why I tend to use shades of gray with earth tones,

keeping it all ,some what at a leave were it dose not harm peoples eyes,and in some ways I,m a bit numb to it all,

and dose not seam to have a great effect on me,after my time in the serves,

but I ,real do think its in your DNA,as well,from the time we killed off most of the Neanderthals,and other,s O.o

J

John Rixon

not happy yet with colors, will keep at it.

I reckon you have the palette nailed Jim. Cities tend to become almost monochromatic, the more battering they get, add to that the mud, smoke and carnage and you have captured it well. Nice one!

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
I reckon you have the palette nailed Jim. Cities tend to become almost monochromatic, the more battering they get, add to that the mud, smoke and carnage and you have captured it well. Nice one!

Thanks John, not easy fiddling with colors, guess I'll be fiddling some more. I'm enjoying this opportunity to hone my figures skills as they have been neglected lo these many years.

Definitely need to purchase more figures as there are limitless scenarios floating around my head. ;) ...........Jim :smiling3:

J

John Rixon

After all's said and done, we are creating an impression, if it looks right, then, for all intents and purposes, it is right. I dunno if you watched "Pacific" - the follow up to Band of Brothers? The footage from that - before the colourists and post production got to work on it - looked like holiday footage! Blue skies, azure sea and golden beaches! Then they dirtied it all down and we suddenly believed it was real. And that's all we can strive to achieve, mostly with dirty turps ;)

First Name
Stuart
Stunning work on this Jim,love the look of the building and street looks very realistic 

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
such true words Jim,could not put it better myself,that's why I tend to use shades of gray with earth tones,

keeping it all ,some what at a leave were it dose not harm peoples eyes,and in some ways I,m a bit numb to it all,

and dose not seam to have a great effect on me,after my time in the serves,

but I ,real do think its in your DNA,as well,from the time we killed off most of the Neanderthals,and other,s O.o

You are so right Monica, nature takes no prisoners and men are indeed animals, and it's so funny how city folk react to our matter of fact attitude when it comes to life and death in our " ultra natural" environment where we live ^_^  Why just the site of a dead critter in the road sends them into tirade of pity......we just say ..Look out don't hit it! :o