Steven's 25cm German Heavy Mortar position 1/35 CMK

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Steven
Sorry to hear of the light woes. This is so good it deserves the proper light. Just very frustrating. Worth it in the end though.
Jim

Steven

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Thanks guys

Trench:
with the expansion of the trenches signage became necessary in german and british trenches
Still need to be weathered - clockwise from left:
"this way to The Front"
"way to "infermary"
"way to connected trenches numbers 16 through 18"
I have no idea what the blue one is .....
All are from dublicata productions German trench Signs
yjz3nXH.jpg

Steven

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Scratching a German field telephone akin to this

VGdfzys.jpg

Also added some maps to the table to make it more interesting

QwIEuQY.jpg

8d85X7Z.jpg

Signs are in
cmGt6oP.jpg

LOBaWx1.jpg

Mouth of the pit has been sandbagged
'
efc9LZB.jpg

Details on the revemtment -tethering wire - space between bags and revetment need more terrain material after the airbrushing of the bags
maZtLZW.jpg

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Steven.
Those sand bags look real, more so when you compare yours with the new Mini Art potatoe sacks.
Keep going, I like the telephone and maps, all great details.
John.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Steven
The little added detail that you are painstakingly including will raise this to another level. Great job.
Jim

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Beautiful work Steven, love all the details!

Keep it up! Kind regards,
Steven

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Gotta say I’m very impressed with what you’ve done so far...looks brilliant :thumb2:

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Its a real gem Steven. Another wonderful update. Its a joy watching it all come together.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Again, I'm very impressed by the level of detail I'm seeing here.

Steven

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Thanks guys I really appreciate it

So, status two days before competition:
Groundwork is being layed - looks like crap - needs to be redone

wM0zt2H.jpg

Added a shell crater - bottom will have standing water in it - rim of it will be clearly defined
0zXMLQg.jpg

Beast in the yard - its in and looks menacing - chuffed with this one...

t67JAxJ.jpg

Shells at the ready - the "E" denotes a High Explosive shell
aor9p4E.jpg

John R. commented that adding all the shells inside the pit would be too cramped and He is right, so I took two and placed outside, ordinance would be protected aginst the elements so I used the two shells included in the set that are in thier wicker transport containers and alongside some boxes they fill an empty space in front of the dug out
pIfDSKD.jpg

Hauling these things around will have been a feat - the full load - the big one weighed in at close to 100 kg and the container allows two men to carry it.

Added some puddles to the area in front of the dug out to make it more interesting and you know, - more Western front - like :hungry:
xpe35o0.jpg

In a similar vein - to give the area a more lived - in look added a cloth hanging on a sign
uqCf6Tv.jpg

There is an empty area on this firestep - will be filled with a MG 08 and ammo crates
0ldJvrw.jpg

And finally... the lantern is back in - and it works....

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
That's totally awesome Steven. Glad you got it finished for the competition. Should be a real winner. Let us know how you get on

Steven

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Thanks for all the well wishes guys :hungry:

The Mortar build earned a 3rd place, beaten by my Combi - boxed/360 trench dio, Which also took "audience favorite" - which due to a low crowd turn out were mostly my fellow participating modellers - I am really chuffed :smiling3::smiling2::smiling2:
Work on the mortar build will continue - It has room for improvement and I have some considerations I would like to rum by you and will post more on that later today

B

Brad9826

Congrats on your competition result Steven, and love the build. :thumb2::smiling:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Bravo Steven.
Well done, you did extremely well. So much to take in , detail was exceptional. Enjoyed following this .
:thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:
John.

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
A real stunner Steven, congratulations on a well deserved award.:thumb2::thumb2:
Nice way of showing it all with a video, so much to see, absolutely one to be proud of sir.

Steven

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
first of all guys, thanks for all the warming words - they do mean a lot. :smiling4:
Now, as I hinted in the preveious post work is not done with the pit - my aim was to finish in a stage of completion that it could enter and place in a show. I did that, but that does not mean that there's no room for improvement. I have some thoughts regarding said improvemnts that I would like to share in the following ( I do go on a bit but bear with me..)

thoughts on the roof structure:

When I did the roof of the pit I glued balsa sticks toghter painted them brown and forgot all about that one side of the roof them would be quite exposed - forming the one side of the pit opening.

qG368xS.jpg

In the drawing I am using for reference the roof is a sandwich construction of concrete, timber ,gravel, earth and steel "I" beams - the drawing is kind of hard to make out, even when enlarged, but I am somewhat sure that the smaller "I beams" are bolted to either heavy timber or larger iron beams, so I guess I could use A larger size "I "beam and glue it to the side, that would cover the wood. This would be quite rusty and would be a nice weathering thing.
Another option is to take the exposed beam as being wood, by scraping a wood grain into it and make it generally more "woody - looking"

Option number 3 - leave it be.....

Staying with the Roof - protruding timber logs
I wanted to show of some the design features of the timber constructions - especially the steel hoops binding the heavy logs together, I have left them visible several places but they are either hidden in shadows or blendig in with the terrain - I decided to make them rusty which did not help matters either.
qVdZAKQ.jpg

I am thinking that these logs are running the length of the roof and by removing some of the celluclay and by gluing 5 other small bits - with the hoops more prominently showing - in the other end, I can show that.

What do you think - am I overthinking this?

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi Steven.
No I don't think your over thinking it at all.
I can see your point of re looking and thinking how you could improve the over all diorama.
Ok you could change that end beam to make it look rougher, personally I think it looks right.
I do agree with the protruding logs though, the inclusion of the hoops will certainly add to the entrance.
John .