Stona's Crashed Fw190. A classic "fliegerdenkmal"

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
This was to be an entry in the now long finished "Crash SIG". I now have time to actually build it. This dodgy scan (not sure why) from Peter Rodeicke's "Fw190 Jagdfluzeug" is going to be the subject.

This is the result of a botched landing by Fw. Albert Wittmann at Aalborg-Ost. It is an absolutely classic "fliegerdenkmal" or pilot's monument.

I'm not going to replicate this exactly as is my wont. I will base a little diorama on it.

Here's the kit.

I've never built a 1/72 Tamiya kit! It looks very nice indeed.

Here's the sprues.

I'll hopefully get this going over the next week or so,work permitting.

Cheers

Steve

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice 1 Steve and the CRASH SIG doesn't finish untill the end of August so still plenty of time

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
:lookupthere: what he said.

There is loads of time until the end of the SIG,

Ian M

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Cripes,I thought the SIG was already finished!

Ian,if this should be moved to some "under construction" thread please do so. I'll definitely be done by August,these little kits have less parts than the cockpit in my normal scale :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
As good as done!

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Cooperman69

That's some landing!!

Did he come straight down... :cheesygrin:

First Name
Dave
My guess is his brakes failed,went off the runway,wheels dug into soft ground and it ended up on its nose.Must have been interesting trying to get out of the cockpit!.If it had come straight down from the sky at that angle there wouldnt have been much left of it!.

T

treyzx10r

Wow thats a "fliegerdenkmal" for sure .looking forward to seeing it build out Steve!

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
The fliegerdenkmal was the result of "einer missgluckten einradlandung" so he only had one main wheel down,something I will reflect in the model.

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've made a modest start on the cockpit. I so rarely do 1/72 that I've had two surprises! First it is bl**dy small and second actually quite well detailed.

I will definitely weather this a bit and add some kind of harness as the final model will have the canopy open. The shoulder straps will have to hang down convincingly.

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Mmmm! even this well engineered kit needs a little bit of persuasion.

This to fit the wheel well insert!

Cheers

Steve

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Brilliant subject steve , and it looks a real nice kit too , great work on the cockpit , we'll have you doing 1/144 before long !!! cheers tony

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Tony this little kit is superb. I've been impressed with the larger scale Tamiya models but this is better from an engineering point of view.

As a fellow aircraft modeller you will know what a mess some kits make of the wing - fuselage join,particularly the "tongue" that runs to the rear of the wing on the underside of the fuselage.

Well,take a look at this,no filler and no filing or sanding of the parts.

I'm impressed!

Cheers

Steve

C

CDW

That is impressive ... so far i've needed a tub of polyfiller for the 1/72 aircraft i've done :smiling3:

Looks like you're on a winner mate :smiling3:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
It's a kit that more or less builds itself! So much so that I've completed the major construction and got the primer on. I've used white because of the small scale. The paint on the original has been altered from the factory finish quite significantly and I'm going to attempt to replicate this,which requires the lighter greys to come through.A dark primer would make this more difficult.

No filler has been used in the making of this model :smiling3:

Underside (RLM 76) later,with a bit of luck.

Cheers

Steve

D

dubster72

This thing about filling & sanding when building aircraft always fascinates me! It's an oft-heard refrain, but I hardly ever hear anything similar from armour modellers.

Still it's looking good Steve. This would be something that might get me trying my hand at things with wings!

Cheers

Patrick

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
This thing about filling & sanding when building aircraft always fascinates me! It's an oft-heard refrain, but I hardly ever hear anything similar from armour modellers.
I guess armoured vehicles were not built to the same sort of tolerances as aircraft. After all aerodynamic efficiency is not really a consideration for a tank! These aircraft simply didn't have gaps and ill fitting panels (usually).

Most newer mold aircraft models go together pretty well,it's the older ones that can be a bit challenging.

This particular kit is outstanding.

Cheers

Steve

T

TonyBv9

\ said:
It's a kit that more or less builds itself! So much so that I've completed the major construction and got the primer on... No filler has been used in the making of this model :smiling3: Cheers

Steve
Looking good Steve.

I've read a review of Tamiya's 1/72 BF109E which says pretty much the same - a superbly engineered kit. They are twice the price of most rivals, looks like they're worth it.

Tony

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've got the undersurfaces done.

Varnishes will soften the shading.

I can't see the under cowling or rudder in my reference photo but I'd be surprised if they weren't RLM 04,mine are anyway!

Cheers

Steve