Stona's Spitfire...with floats

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Looks good Steve, where's the floats, lets see the floats......................

Z

Ziper_it

Excellent IP Steve.

What color did you use for interior fuselage?

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
What color did you use for interior fuselage?
Hi Francesco, I used White Ensign's 'British Interior Grey-Green'. It's a good match for the standard British interior colour.

View attachment 99557

Unfortunately the Colourcoat range is not available anymore, following the demise of White Ensign Models. I believe there is a chance the range may be continued under different ownership. I certainly hope so!

Cheers

Steve

IMG_1370_zpszxlkzjri.jpg

Z

Ziper_it

Thanks a lot.

Looks very good straight out of the tin.

Francesco

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Spot on with that tail. Looking great Steve.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Unfortunately the Colourcoat range is not available anymore, following the demise of White Ensign Models. I believe there is a chance the range may be continued under different ownership. I certainly hope so!
There is indeed a firm that has taken them on. Although not ready for a full scale webshop, they say that they will send what they have if you email them for urgent needs.

http://www.sovereignhobbies.co.uk/

As the link shows they are working at it. (just not to pleased about the UK only bit, but what the hej. I have a freind that is looking into setting up a dealer over here).

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Steve

Beautiful work Steve the cockpit looks very nice with the harness in situ and the tail looks a great fit.

Looking forward to the progress

Cheers

P

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Well I've finally had a chance to do something to this model and have revived this thread!

I've finished off the fiddly bits in the cockpit and have now got the fuselage and replacement tail taped up.

View attachment 104987

A little bit of fettling to do, but I should get this glued up tomorrow, then I'll have a look at the wings. Given the absence of wheel wells these should be pretty straight forward!

Cheers

Steve

IMG_1374_zpscfvthdtw.jpg

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Excellent work as always Steve.

I'm sure I read somewhere that the Trumpeter guys used a museum version of this to create their moulds and included a seat modified with planks and things to allow kids to sit in and look through the screen. Is your seat a replacement or have I got it wrong - again?!

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
The kit seat is pretty bad. It doesn't really look like a Spitfire seat, though I didn't notice any planks!

Mine is indeed a replacement from Greymatter which can be made to fit with a little fiddling.

Cheers

Steve

P

Polux

Clean and tidy work Steve.

This is coming along very interesting :eek:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
He he. My grumpy kit had the seat made of planks. So I bet Steve's had as well. I'm sure that he to bought a replacement

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looking good Steve, ;)

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've got the fuselage together, but I now have a slight delay whilst I fill or at least mitigate the Trumpy riveting on the leading edge and 1st 20% or so of the wing :smiling3:

Photos to follow.

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Here's some pics of the progress. I'll need today to clean up and sand all this. I'm hoping to attach the wings today, a dry fit was quite encouraging.

Front of wings are filled, top and bottom, with Mr Surfacer 500. They are as good as I'm going to do because I've now run out of the filler! This will need sanding and blending in, as there is now a ridge where I masked the back of the wings.

View attachment 105154

Dave, I checked the seat and as Ian said, it does indeed feature some rather bizarre planking :smiling3: Anyone building any version of this kit is really going to need to buy a replacement.

Cheers

Steve

IMG_1377_zpsv4ptgrmk.jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Here's a quick extra to show one of the benefits of primer, quite unrelated to paint adhesion.

I thought this join line looked okay, but the primer has revealed a little more work to be done.

View attachment 105155

You really don't want this to be revealed by your camouflage colours !!!!

Cheers

Steve

IMG_1378_zpste7kendn.jpg

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I was sure I was right about the seat so I checked on the net and found where I'd seen the information. It turns out I was only half right - story of my life!

http://www.rollmodels.net/nreviews/airplanes/24hobbycraftspitfire/spitfire.php