Summer G.B...'Some Tigers can't swim!'

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Here is my 'entry' for this G.B.

I was well happy finding this picture, as next to snow, I really enjoy working with 'water' when building my models.

It shows an early Tiger 1 stuck in a muddy river, with all hands to the pump trying to get it out. Just what the bloke on the left hopes to achieve with that little plank of wood I don't know!

I am still looking for a suitably priced kit 'cos once the tank is stuck in the mud it's there for good and I won't be able to reuse it...Cheapskate!

It could be either 1/35 or 1/72 as I have a suitable set of figures in both scales.

I'm in!

Cheers,

Ron

View attachment 35723

Summer 2011 G.B..jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
J

JFJ

I suppose this is the early production? Tamiya makes one of these tanks, with the same markings. In both 1/48 and 1/35.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Yes, it is an early version. Thanks for the info. Adrian. I'll keep a look out for the 1/35 scale one.....Have you seen the box art for these particular markings? It would make it easier to find!

Cheers fellas,

Ron

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
Looking forward to seein this one i will make a great dio and the fact that it's a tiger all the better Good luck Ron keep ip with you when I can John

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Yes, it is an early version. Thanks for the info. Adrian. I'll keep a look out for the 1/35 scale one.....Have you seen the box art for these particular markings? It would make it easier to find!Cheers fellas,

Ron
I think this is the one you are looking for, this is the 1/35 scale one: Tamiya German Tiger I Early Production Scale: 1/35 #35216 UK

The 1/48 scale has number 32504 and has the same markings that you're after.

Ian M

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Brilliant, thanks Ian.

What a superb forum this is......Ask, and ye shall receive!

And thanks to all who were involved in the 'hunt'

Ron

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
Nice find ian and that's a bargin too Happy shopping Ron

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Going to look forward to this Ron, very nice subject too. Can't beat a good Tigger, i'm just finishing one infact lol.

Have fun, John

J

JFJ

\ said:
I think this is the one you are looking for, this is the 1/35 scale one: Tamiya German Tiger I Early Production Scale: 1/35 #35216 UKThe 1/48 scale has number 32504 and has the same markings that you're after.

Ian M
Yep thats the one I was referring to

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I have now collected all the elements for this G.B.

I'm looking forward to getting to grips with this, as trying to copy a photo will be a real challenge and something I've not attempted before......

1 X 1/35 Tiger 1 (early version)

2X 1/35 Mini art figures, some of which were put to good use by John (Centurion3RTR) a while back in his excellent King Tiger diorama.....

I haven't bored you with all the sprue shots, suffice to say the tank (Which I'm looking forward to nearly drowning!) is typical Tamiya standard. As indeed are the Mini art figures.(Which I'm looking forward to butchering!)

I would like to do the build of the tank, but as we have just had two excellent Tigers on here recently, would it be worth while? Any thoughts boys?

Also, I would like to do a separate thread on building the river in the diorama section, as this might be useful in it's own right to anyone thinking of having a go at summat similar, finally culminating in the joining of the two parts for the picky.

I want to keep within the rules, so would this be O.K. Ian?

Cheers,

Ron

View attachment 36086

Summer 2011 G.B. 001.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well as you have said, there has been other tiger builds on here recently but it is also a GB project.... How about a middle way, no need for a blow by blow of the tank build, just keep us up to date with how things are going, and if you hit bump in the road. (I doubt that will happen though, hitting a bump that is)

The rest.... Its a group build so please keep it it the group build and not split it up into bits here and bits there. That includes the end result.

Ian M

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Ian, message understood.....

Cheers,

Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Sorry for the lack of reporting on this build, I've been away, but luckily I was 'allowed!' to take the tigger with me and some paints! (Is that sad, or what?)

First though, I have just had a blimp at all the new stuff and new members...I will get stuck in and respond a.s.a.p.

Here are pickies of Tiger 332 so far. The basic build is finished. All brush painted, as usual, using Humbrol matt enamels and a pencil, but needs more work to alter it for the G.B. picture.

I've had a cracking time researching this particular tank and have come up with some very interesting facts and photos. I won't go into detail yet, suffice to say there are a lot of conundrums and contradictions flying about.....So I intend to just give it my best interpretation.

After studying pictures I have tried to replicate the damage to the rear left pre-air cleaner and exhaust heat shields. The filter was also hit be two rounds of something too. I also spotted on the pictures more battle damage, of which there is a fair amount. Note the big hit just above the drivers vision slot, one head ache for sure!!.... 332 had some stick in it's life.

This is the initial start, so now I will touch up, alter and omit things on the tank as per G.B. picture, post the finished Tiger, then start the river diorama proper.

I hope you like the progress thus far and any comments, diesel money or contribution to camping fees are more than welcome! lol.

Cheers all,

Ron

View attachment 36463

View attachment 36464

View attachment 36465

View attachment 36466

View attachment 36467

View attachment 36468

View attachment 36469

View attachment 36470

View attachment 36471

View attachment 36472

Summer 2011 G.B. 008.jpg

Summer 2011 G.B. 009.jpg

Summer 2011 G.B. 010.jpg

Summer 2011 G.B. 011.jpg

Summer 2011 G.B. 002.jpg

Summer 2011 G.B. 003.jpg

Summer 2011 G.B. 004.jpg

Summer 2011 G.B. 005.jpg

Summer 2011 G.B. 006.jpg

Summer 2011 G.B. 007.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice looking Tiger Ron. i am guessing that it rained a lot while you where away.....

Looking forward to seeing the diorama for this one!

Ian M

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
I was thinking the same Ian about the rain, looks terrible weather mate. But the Tiger looks great though, nice work Ron mate.

Have fun, John

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for taking the time to have a look at the Tigger boys and the nice comments. (You don't want to see it now though!)

Fear not chaps!

The present Mrs. Ron and me have a sure fire master plan to deal with adverse weather......

Batten down the hatches, place one 2ltr. box of good claret (room temp. of course) on the diddy campervan table, add two obscenely large glasses, some cashew nuts, and top off with AC/DC in the c.d. player (If no one on the camp site, volume 10 is used!!)

Then as if by magic, modelling and painting a Tiger 1 becomes dead easy and the weather can take a hike!!!

Cheers,

Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Adrian, glad you like it so far.

Here is a quick update:-

I have started on the base for the diorama.

When I was up in the loft, attacking a wasps nest (No, they were attacking me! Two stings v 1 good spraying, not a bad return, I suppose) I came across an old piece of 2" thick dense polyurethane foam, this has made a great base 'cos it was easy to carve out the hole for the tank.

To this I stuck a piece of 3/4" polystyrene sheet to form the river bank.

Finally, I coated the sides of the 'Hole' ect. with tile adhesive to get the muddy effect. I couldn't bring myself to permanently stick the tank in the mud, so once I was happy with the setting I carefully removed tigger and gave her a good bath in clean water!

Still to do are the figures, foliage, debris, a bit of work on extras for the tank and shine up the river.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Ron

View attachment 36592

View attachment 36593

View attachment 36594

Summer 2011 G.B. 014.jpg

Summer 2011 G.B. 012.jpg

Summer 2011 G.B. 013.jpg

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
This is looking nice like the work on the base Ron and the tank goes without saying but I will top notch looking forward to the finished item Geegad