"Surrender" Normandy GB

First Name
Drew
Okay, so this will be my first GB and my first models posted on the forum so I'm a bit nervous and hope not to embarrass myself!

Comments/criticism are welcome (private or posted).

So, this was going to be a different diorama but the models I'd originally ordered got lost in the Christmas post/blizzards/polar bear theft so this gave me an opportunity to look again at what I was going to build. I already had the Miniart farmyard so I would have to base it around this.

I found the Dragon Georgian Legion models and, after a bit of research, decided to go with them. I liked the fact that these guys were, essentially, forced to fight for the Germans.

The farmyard surprised me, I expected the parts to come on sprues rather than sheets. After realising my cutting wasn't as neat as it could have been (due to rubbish blades breaking) I knew I'd have to look at some way to patch these up.

Anyway, patching the holes with Green seems to work. The walls haven't been glued to the base yet and the green has still to be sanded down but you can get the idea.

I've also ordered some Tamiya US Infantry figures for the diorama.

The figures may not end up in the positions they are in below, it's quite flexible at the moment.

View attachment 31131

View attachment 31132

View attachment 31133

View attachment 31134

View attachment 31135

View attachment 31136

02 Farmyard.JPG

04 Surrender.JPG

03 Georgian Legion.JPG

06 Surrender.JPG

05 Surrender.JPG

01 Farmyard.JPG

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I like the subject you have chosen Drew. Great figures and nice looking building.

Why the nerves? Go for it. Build away, post your progress and enjoy making this come together. You will just get friendly encouragement on here anyway, nothing else.

It's your creation, your style. Give this set up to six different modellers and you can bet no two will be alike, so get stuck in, don't over complicate it, do your best and have fun.....

I reckon this is going to be spot on.

Ron

R

rogue-one

hi there drew. welcome to the build. and the forum. this is only my second build on the forum and alot of the other guys are new to. it's not just you,lol. loads of good guys on here too that will help you out with any problems or questions. like your build idea. should be good to see all painted up.

First Name
Drew
Well, I'm almost done with this one.

Having some issues painting the faces (I've always hated painting faces, must buy some cheap, cheap, cheap Tamiya's to practise on before my next figure diorama) but getting there. I could have finished before now but I've had issues with product not being in stock, bank accounts being frozen due to thieving Brazilians raiding my account and only getting about an hour - hour and a half on it a night.

Won't be long before it's done, although having peeked at some of the completed ones I'm having second thoughts - fear not though, I will post it and learn from it.

Will be done before the end of the month.

N

noble

Hi Drew like what you,ve done so far, do you use acrylics to paint faces? if so you should give oil paint a try because it takes longer to dry you have more blending time. Mate don't worry about showing your stuff iam sure that it will be received very well so don't be so hard on yourself or your abilities.

scott

Last edited:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looking good Drew!

Now if you had posted a comment about your surprise when you opened the building kit box, you might of gained a few tips.... Like about cutting the parts from the sheet. The trick is not to use a knife!!!?

Instead you score them through with a heavy needle or a scriber. It makes it a lot simpler to follow the contours of the part, as you just drag the scriber in the corner a few times and then carefully 'snap' them off.

A bit late now but at least you know for next time.

Ian M

First Name
Drew
It's acrylics I'm using for the faces, might look into the oil paints, thanks for the tip Scott.

Ian, yes, sadly it was too late for the advice about the Miniart building but I will take that on board for the next one. I did think about never buying one again but they look so good so I probably will.

Hopefully the guys will be finished off tonight then I can get the base done. I can see in my mind how I want it to look, I wonder if it'll end up looking anything like it...

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
C'mon Drew...As Oddball in Kelly's Heroes would say "No negative waves, baby."!

We are all on a big, big learning curve...That's why we are here.

I look forward to what I am sure it will be a great diorama.

Ron