Taking nice pictures on a budget

J

Jack10

Is it possible to get good pics of completed models using my phone? I can't afford a top of the range camera so I only use my iPhone which as most of you know the camera on said phone is rather poor.

What is the best way to show off your model? What background works best? And how can you make it so there is hardly no shadows ?

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
i struggle with a proper camera! :confused::confused:

you need a plain back ground thats not reflective......i bought a roll of lining wall paper once and used that, cheap as chips....used to get a big bit and stick it to the shelf i have on the wall at the back of my bench and lay it across the bench that way thee wasnt a 'border' tween table and back drop

you need plenty of light but most bulbs are too yellow, try and get a 'daylight' bulb

hope that helps.....at least its not like the old days....you can take hundreds of pics experimenting and you dont have to wait two weeks to see what they came out like and pay a fortune for the pleasure :D

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Jack, I don't possess, nor want, a mobile phone, so can't help with that one.

Try and avoid either black or white for a back ground. These colours tend to confuse the camera lens - Beige or blue are both good neutral colours.
Outside is always best.

Shadow prevention? Take a look on ebay at portable mini photographic studios.

As for the camera, you don't need anything fancy, and don't let anyone kid you that you do!

I use a Sony cyber shot DSC-W80. This is a pocket size, compact camera. Simple point and click, or you can have a play with the settings - your choice.

There are a couple on ebay at the minute for around £30+....Well worth considering. Dave (gern) has one too. Ask him what he thinks of it.

Whatever camera you get, you will need a cheap tripod, particularly for close ups.

Cheers,
Ron

J

Jack10

Cheers guys. Think I've got an old roll of lining paper in the garage so I'll have a play around with that later. Not a bad idea and the 'border' effect is something I'm always trying to solve.

Cheers Ron I agree outside is best :smiling3: natural light is the only way I ever get half decent pics. I'll have a look into buying a cheap(ish) camera and tripod for future builds as the phone camera really is naff!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
If you want a slightly upmarket cheap(ish) camera. I also have a Panasonic Lumix FZ 35 or 38 Bridge Camera. so called because it bridges the 'gap' between a compact and full blown DSLR.
They go for around £60 / £80 on ebay. Superb, cheap all round camera, with a mega zoom. Yet still a point and shoot, if required. I use this for wild life stuff.

I should have mentioned, you don't need a big, clumbersome three legged tripod. Get yourself a bi-pod. This is just a 9" tube with three, small spring loaded legs at the base that just flick out when needed. I use it just pushed against the side of a tree to catch the birdie! Great for taking close ups of scale models too.....

Ron

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
All good advice. I would add, that when I take pics, I always use a 2 second timer, just to avoid that bit of camera shake as you press the button.

J

John Rixon

Jack, I don't possess, nor want, a mobile phone, so can't help with that one.
I wish I'd stuck with that principle - once you've had one, there's no going back...just watching most of the folks walking around our town centre staring down at their phones, I want to weep!

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I wish I'd stuck with that principle - once you've had one, there's no going back...just watching most of the folks walking around our town centre staring down at their phones, I want to weep!
Or sitting in the pub with the wife as she checks her phone every two minutes. I wish the pub would turn its bloody wifi off.

J

Jens Andrée

The camera is way less important than proper lighting, both direct and reflective.
The background is also very important since it'll act as a reflector if used properly.

I saw something about taking great photos of your models recently. I'll find the link and paste it here. Perhaps it'll give you the help you need?

I take all of my modelling photos with my mobile phone and apart from the usual "in progress" pictures where I don't care about the artistic look, a planned photo with a white background and some lights can look really professional, or like they were taken with my proper camera.

J

Jens Andrée

I don't possess, nor want, a mobile phone, so can't help with that one.
That makes you rather unique today to be honest.
In fact I guess quite a lot of you have, or has had, one of my creations in your hand at some point. I didn't do them on my own - obviously, but I contributed a fair bit to the software.
That is if you've ever owned, or owns, a premium model of a Sony Ericsson or Sony mobile phone! That used to be my profession before I took a dive down some stairs which ended my career and much of my life, and what forced me to retire way too early...

...but some of you have a little piece of me in your pocket and that's something :D

All of you have also used another product of mine at some point, the AXE switch. It's behind all mobile networks in the UK, and most of the world to be honest. It's the most common switching hardware for all land lines too before they started becoming obsolete.
I miss working but I don't miss going to work in the morning... ;)

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
With respect Jens, I'm not sure I want any part of you in my pocket!

Pete

S

Stevekir

On the border effect (mentioned twice above) I use a large sheet of lining paper (also mentioned) with the furthest edge vertical and fixed to a wall, and the nearest flat on the table. The result is a smooth curve. As mentioned, a coloured background is good, fairly light and not a strong colour. Two lights are best, one medium-close to cast some shadows (they give depth) and another further away (to lighten shadows).

If you have an image program you can past in a background (see the Rolls-Royce below).

As they always say, "bigger is best". The Lancaster (below) is a bit small to show the detail. I think the best way to appreciate a photo is when it is enlarged to fill the whole of a computer screen.

My camera is not an expensive one: a Nikon D3001, 5 years old. I believe that smart phones now can take really good photos.

Thanks Jens for the movie.
Full View.jpg
Lancaster.jpg
1 Front Quarter Left.jpg

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
That makes you rather unique today to be honest.

"Unique"........I can handle that badge, Jens. :smiling3:

Thank goodness I don't have to join the masses walking around like zombies with a bit of plastic stuck to their ears, or head down walking and texting at the same time, not giving a toss who, or what is coming their way. Sitting in a public place letting the whole world know their business (or where the key to the house is hidden!) Eating in a cafe or restaurant and texting at the same time. Sitting at home with the thing on the arm of the chair, staring at it, in the hope it will ring.

Worst of all, having to sit and watch my Grandchildren loose the ability to speak, much less hold a conversation with me, as they are too busy 'tapping'.

Nothing I can do about it - but I'm not too bothered 'cos me happy!

If you'll all excuse me, my crystal radio is playing up, and I need to have a look at it..........

Jack, sorry for the thread hi-jack.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Ron, if you had a smartphone your grandkids could converse with you by text message! Ask me how I know...

Pete