Tamiya 1/35 Willys Jeep

First Name
Aaron
Good luck on using etch mate, it should add some great detail to a great fitting kit.

Man, totally forgot I started this. Was enjoying building the kit. Will get some photos and update later.

Ok advice needed. Is this colour a bit too light. Mixed olive drab with khaki but think maybe too much khaki.

20151108_195505.jpg

Advice needed. I thought my paint was looking ok until I saw how much darker other build on this forum were. Should I remix my OD with slightly less khaki?

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
\ said:
Ok advice needed. Is this colour a bit too light. Mixed olive drab with khaki but think maybe too much khaki.
Not really too light as I'm sure they were all standard seat backs and with a bit of weathering and wash should darken a bit

I have found ref pic if it helps

Robert

image.jpeg

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Hi Shaun I don't do enough armour myself and I'm no expert in this field or any other but on the odd occasion I do I always use these vallejo primers as a finish.

This maybe bad guidance and not correct and if I'm way of the mark someone will hopefully kindly point it out. But they do for me n look right in my eyes.

Good look with your jeep I've always fancied one myself.

Cheers John

image.jpg

image.jpg

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Just give it a dirty brown wash {dark} may need to give it a couple of splashes then start 'dry brushing out original color finished off with a lightened original color. that should give you a good base to work some subtleties on. Takes time and experience to reach the level of some modelers on this forum but you are young and I'm sure you will mature in the hobby and be a force to be reckoned with soon enough I'm sure, just keep at it. ;) .................Jim:smiling3:

\ said:
Just give it a dirty brown wash {dark} may need to give it a couple of splashes then start 'dry brushing out original color finished off with a lightened original color. that should give you a good base to work some subtleties on. Takes time and experience to reach the level of some modelers on this forum but you are young and I'm sure you will mature in the hobby and be a force to be reckoned with soon enough I'm sure, just keep at it. ;) .................Jim:smiling3:
Thank you for your advice and your very kind words. I think I will decal it and wash and see what it looks like. I plan on building this kit again so will hopefully learn from what I do. on this one.

\ said:
Hi Shaun I don't do enough armour myself and I'm no expert in this field or any other but on the odd occasion I do I always use these vallejo primers as a finish.
This maybe bad guidance and not correct and if I'm way of the mark someone will hopefully kindly point it out. But they do for me n look right in my eyes.

Good look with your jeep I've always fancied one myself.

Cheers John

View attachment 137170
Thanks for your reply. I have so far enjoyed building this kit to the point that I will definitely be building another.

P

Polux

For me is looking very good ;)

You can produce your own wash. Just take the original colour and add a drop of black /use to paint shadows, and the other with a drop of white / use to paint lights.

This kind you will gave a nice crhomatic modulation. Finally add a pin wash (dark brown, as Jim commented). Is an option :smiling3:

As I said, it's looking very good!

Don't forget to post the pics of the finished model ;)

J

John Rixon

Yup, I was gonna suggest a few thin filters, which will really deepen the colour, and allow you to do it gradually. I tend to brush these on, using enamel based filters (usually thinned AK interactive washes) and a flat brush. You get a little more time to work with, and they dry pretty quickly too.

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
You could just use panel fading use yours as the base colour..but all the same great build it's a family favourite is the willys jeep

\ said:
For me is looking very good ;)
You can produce your own wash. Just take the original colour and add a drop of black /use to paint shadows, and the other with a drop of white / use to paint lights.

This kind you will gave a nice crhomatic modulation. Finally add a pin wash (dark brown, as Jim commented). Is an option :smiling3:

As I said, it's looking very good!

Don't forget to post the pics of the finished model ;)
Thank you polux. I think I will have a little expiriment on an old model. I will definitely post the completed model. It could be a long way off though. Don't have as much spare time as I would like.

\ said:
Yup, I was gonna suggest a few thin filters, which will really deepen the colour, and allow you to do it gradually. I tend to brush these on, using enamel based filters (usually thinned AK interactive washes) and a flat brush. You get a little more time to work with, and they dry pretty quickly too.
Thanks for your comment. I will dig out a couple of old models and try all of the tips I have been given.

\ said:
You could just use panel fading use yours as the base colour..but all the same great build it's a family favourite is the willys jeep
Hi thanks for your comment. I will have to look up how to do panel fading.

J

John Rixon

\ said:
Thanks for your comment. I will dig out a couple of old models and try all of the tips I have been given.
Very good idea! You can also make these filters easily with ordinary oil paints, or better still, enamels (better, because they dry quicker) and with odourless thinners, it's not so smelly as you'd think! Basically, what you're looking to achieve is one step up from dirty thinners - ie a lot of thinner and a small streak of paint. It will separate if you don't stir it regularly, but being so thin, the effect is really subtle, but as you add coats, you will see the difference. For a green vehicle, I'd use a burnt umber (brown!) and if it starts getting too rich, then a thin ochre will bring back the green. This is the part of modelling I love the best, I take ages on it and it is most absorbing!

J

John Rixon

I found

to be a really good tutorial on oil based washes and filters.