Tamiya 1/48 Mozzy 6

T

T. van Vuuren

Nice little kit thius, typical tamiya fit and detail. I added maskingtape belts and radio wire harnasses.
The bombbay detail it also quite nice.

TheunsDSCN1804.JPG DSCN1809.JPG DSCN1812.JPG

A

Awins

Nice little kit thius, typical tamiya fit and detail. I added maskingtape belts and radio wire harnasses.
The bombbay detail it also quite nice.

TheunsView attachment 285639 View attachment 285640 View attachment 285641
It is indeed a nice kit. Im currently also building this and about to lay down the underside paint tonight. I did have trouble trying to remove the fuselage seems though. Tried several different fillers too. This isnt a kit problem its just I really struggle doing this. Enjoy, I will watch your build. Cheers Alan

T

T. van Vuuren

I joined the fuse halves and also found that the top seam didnt fit as well as on the bottom. I used some stretched sprue and glue to fill and join this slight gap. As for the dryfit of the wing halves and neccells , they seem to be allot better.
It is only the idea of having to glue the 2 side windows to the rest of the canopy that seem top be a really stupid idea to me, this is very fiddly and there is allot of room for messing it up there!

Theuns

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Nice start. One of my favourite aircraft.

T

T. van Vuuren

Very "un tamiya like" to need filler but the fuselage seams are not to nice. Not a big deal though. The fit of the wings to fuse, neccells to wings look much better though.
. by Theunis van Vuuren, on Flickr
I wanted to do an all over PRU bly, but now seeing how big this model is, and the little pannel detail that can be preshaded to break up the mono tone look, I am starting to wonder if I shouldnt maybe remove the camera from the bay and put the bombs in. Then I can go with the RAF temperate green/grey to maybe give some feel to the arerie......damn DH for building such a clean plane LOL

T

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looking good Theuns, try the black basing technique if your doing the PRU blue scheme, it will give you the colour variation and shading you'll need.

T

T. van Vuuren

I do use a "mottling" undercoat to simulate faded patchy look.
Will still make up my mind wrt the final colours I go with.

Progress will be slow this week, I ned to commute to the neigbouring city airport to go paint a SAAF T-6 Harvard and play time will be almost nil :sad:
Ah well we do what we must to keep $ coming in

Theuns

F

fubar57

Good start. Though I built mine years ago, I don't recall any fit problems. All for the PRU look, not too many get modelled.

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

Very "un tamiya like" to need filler but the fuselage seams are not to nice. Not a big deal though. The fit of the wings to fuse, neccells to wings look much better though.

I wanted to do an all over PRU bly, but now seeing how big this model is, and the little pannel detail that can be preshaded to break up the mono tone look, I am starting to wonder if I shouldnt maybe remove the camera from the bay and put the bombs in. Then I can go with the RAF temperate green/grey to maybe give some feel to the arerie......damn DH for building such a clean plane LOL

T
This is quite an old tamiya kit, so don't be surprised if there are a few mishaps with fit
Nice job so far

T

T. van Vuuren

fubar 57 I do like your avatar, speaks to the "wee bit a Scotish" in me due to my ancestors "from the north" :smiling:

I must say that the fit is not reallt all that bad, it takes a little filler but not to much. As for the detail in the kit, cant fault that .I might still do the PRU.....way less masking :smiling:

Theuns

T

T. van Vuuren

Ta, I got HU 130 PRU so think I will play arround with some shading and variation in the paint.

Theuns

T

T. van Vuuren

I got the primer on, gave it a sanding with 4000 MM then did the preshading aswell as added some dark areas to "modulate" the paint and give it a slight faded patchy look, paint does not fade in a nice uniform way ,especially where the painter overlapped it with the spraygun.

. by Theunis van Vuuren, on Flickr

In direct sunlight the effect is more clear than in this pic

DSCN1928 by Theunis van Vuuren, on Flickr

Theuns

T

T. van Vuuren

I am totally cured from eve using tamiya aerosol sprays ever again. This is the second time if has eaten the humbrol enamels. I have binned the can so I cant be tempted to ever use it again.
I hope I can resque this by sanding and re-painting....

TheunsDSCN1933.JPG

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I think Tamiya spray cans are cellulose or something as hot. I know as I've suffered the same problem as well. Bloody annoying.