Tamiya 1/72 Mosquito B Mk 4

B

Builder

Hi All,

I will be building the Tamiya 1/72 Mosquito B Mk 4. I will build this along with the Airfix 1/72 Supermarine Spitfire F Mk 22 which is in its own separate build thread. I am building them both together simply because they have the same paint scheme colors so I can paint them both together.

Build Plan
The plan is to build the kit OOB except for some photo etch seat belts. The finishing is to be kept clean, with minimal weathering. As with all my builds my main concern is the build, the paint job and the finish. No interest in historical accuracy.

Kit Details (from www.scalemates.com)
Title:De Havilland Mosquito B Mk.IV/PR Mk.IV
Number:60753 (Also listed as 53)
Scale:1:72
Type:Full kit
Includes: Plastic sprues, Waterslide decals, Clear parts
Released:2000 | Rebox (Updated/New parts)
Decal options

1. de Havilland Mosquito B Mk.IV
    uk.png
    war.png
    Royal Air Force (1918-Now)
    105 Sqn. DZ367 / GB-J
    Dark Green Ocean grey over Medium Sea grey
  2. de Havilland Mosquito B Mk.IV
    uk.png
    war.png
    109 Sqn. DK333 / HS-F
    Dark Green Ocean grey over Black
  3. de Havilland Mosquito PR Mk.IV
    uk.png
    war.png
    540 Sqn. DZ383
    Overall PRU Blue

Box Art

Kit Contents

I hope you all liked the post. As always all comments welcome.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looks a superb kit bob and if it builds anything like their 1/48 Mossie it'll go together a dream , looking forward to the build , cheers tony

First Name
Alex
I really want one of those! The Mosquito was one of the most ingenius designs in WW2 due to its wooden construction meaning bullets would fly in one side and out the other, I'll be keeping an eye on this one

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looks a nice build,Bob ;)

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
This is probably my favourite aircraft with propellers. So it's a bit strange that since my return to modelling, I've only built one !
So, Mosquito in 1:72, well worth a watch.....

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Look forward to seeing the progress reports. Looks a nice kit.

B

Builder

Looks a superb kit bob and if it builds anything like their 1/48 Mossie it'll go together a dream , looking forward to the build , cheers tony
Nice choice Bob looking forward to the build.
I really want one of those! The Mosquito was one of the most ingenius designs in WW2 due to its wooden construction meaning bullets would fly in one side and out the other, I'll be keeping an eye on this one
looks a nice build,Bob ;)
This is probably my favourite aircraft with propellers. So it's a bit strange that since my return to modelling, I've only built one !
So, Mosquito in 1:72, well worth a watch.....
Look forward to seeing the progress reports. Looks a nice kit.

Thanks all for the comments. It is currently building up very well.

Here is the first build update.

The cockpit was completed and then the kit was assembled.

The kit was then assembled, some filling was done. I did not take many photos.

Here it is with the final coat of paint going on. I have masked this with clever putty.

Here it is with my other concurrent project the Airfix 1/72 Supermarine Spitfire

So much more to do on this one. As always all comments welcome.

B

Builder

Coming along very nicely Bob

Thanks Ian

The model is now almost complete, just waiting for matte coat to dry.

Here is the latest update

Canopy was done up. Took me a few days to get this done

The front portion took me another day to get done as well.

Landing gear painted and given a wash. The tyres were washed with vallejo desert dust wash.

Gloss coated with Pledge floor care and ready for decals. Panel lines were done using a copic multiliner pen with a 0.03mm tip. Rivets were given a wash with Tamiya Panel liner black.

Most decalong done. Disaster did strike and I messed up the squadron markings, so I decided to take them all off and leave it without any major markings except for the tail numbers, not too sure about the accuracy but I didnt really want to put on the other markings in the kit as they were for a night fighter. Also I found a few photos of MK 4s in this camo scheme with no letters for markings so I thought yeah wat the heck, better than nothing I guess.

Underside mostly done up. The panel lines on the underside were done using a copic multiliner with in cool grey colour.

Disaster struck again as some laquer thinner droped on the canopy. I applied some more Pledge floor care and cleared it up a bit but its still a bit noticable.
YdXtMd

I will have a build video up next along with the final reveal.

Too bad about the decals and the canopy, but Ive done the best I could with what I had.

I hope you all like the update. As always all comments welcome

Last edited by a moderator: