Tamiya 23ml availability?

J

Jens Andrée

These 10ml miniature bottles are driving me crazy because some colours like Nato Black and Flat White keep running out despite the fact that I buy several bottles each time... sigh.

So when I read that they also sell them in 23ml bottles I was happy - but good luck finding them?!
Tamiya won't supply Swedish re-sellers with them and come to think of it I've not seen them in UK either?

What's the score here? Is it because they go above some magic volume and thus can't be exported from the US?

I looked at some sellers on eBay but they were all from the US and they were not keen on shipping to Europe...

I'd happily buy some colours in 100+ml bottles if they were available.

If anyone knows why this is then please enlighten me because it's really annoying when building large scale models...

M

m1ks

I don't know why they're not commonly available, they certainly must have been in the UK a few years ago as I have a couple of jars that were given me with some kits and it wasn't until I put them with my others I noticed the size difference but as you say, certain colours would be most welcome in larger bottles.

J

Jens Andrée

From what I've been able to find is that the 23ml bottles were available up to 2012 sometimes, but after that I can't find anything when searching.
Some obscure e-merchants have them listed in Eastern Europe, but that can be grey import because the prices were a bit too good...

I know they existed in UK, Australia and a few countries close to me in the past but now it only seems to be available in the US?

If it is a volume problem for export then I know, but it's pretty silly if that's the case since they're exported in boxes with many bottles/jars inside each box so that itself would be silly?!

At the same time it seems really hard to find 10mm bottles in the US...

Anyhow, many thanks in advance if anyone can shed some light on this ordeal.

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I know they existed in UK, Australia and a few countries close to me in the past but now it only seems to be available in the US?

At the same time it seems really hard to find 10mm bottles in the US...

Everything's bigger in the States! :D

First Name
Alex
I would have thought colours like black and white would be available at least since they are used very often, I know some brands offer bigger tins in the UK. I've seen my dad with a big tin of humbrol enamel, think i was 50ml or 100ml. Personally i've never seen them out in the shops or when browsing online. I think you will just have to buy two 10ml bottles or see if anywhere does a discount if you buy 5. I'd say its more to do with supply and demand, most people don't even know the bigger tins exist.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Jens I feel your pain. Building 1/32 i do get through paint! That one more reason for loving the 30 ml MRP bottles.....

J

Jens Andrée

Jens I feel your pain. Building 1/32 i do get through paint! That one more reason for loving the 30 ml MRP bottles.....
30 ml bottles would be fantastic for those high volume colours!
I have found one supplier here of Mr Paint so I'm going to listen to your advice about MRP and give it a go since they should work like Tamiyas paint.

You are the man of wisdom Barry! :smiling3:

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
30 ml bottles would be fantastic for those high volume colours!
I have found one supplier here of Mr Paint so I'm going to listen to your advice about MRP and give it a go since they should work like Tamiyas paint.

You are the man of wisdom Barry! :smiling3:
Jens,
I don't know if MRP will ship direct to Sweden, but here from Belgium I can order direct from them and have it delivered by post.

J

Jens Andrée

Jens,
I don't know if MRP will ship direct to Sweden, but here from Belgium I can order direct from them and have it delivered by post.

Dave, we've got a store in Sweden (Alfa Hobby) that does sell MRP so it should be simple. I've not ordered from them before but they look serious and like someone who's been around for many years.
I don't know know how they are regarding price compared to others outside Sweden but a 30 ml bottle is ~ €6 (59 SEK) which is €1.50 cheaper than Tamiya (same volume), although price is less important as long as it works like I want it to!

I shall order one bottle of NATO Black (RAL 9021) and one bottle of White/Basic White and see how it works. If it works as well as I think it will then the first colours to be replaced are my AMMO of Mig paints for my Takom King Tiger, which is currently on hold due to AMMO paint never drying due to humidity...

I've just been reluctant to yet again try another paint since everything but Tamiya has given me lots of issues, but with the extensive review Barry did I should just be able to swap paint and keep my current process unchanged and free of worries! ;)

Still odd that Tamiya refuses (?) to ship 23 ml bottles outside the US but they probably have some sort of reason for this...

Thanks for all the help guys!