Tamiya A6M2bZero 1/32

J

John Rixon

To be honest Ralph, in the flesh, it still needs a few more misted coats, and I may finish off with some Aqua gloss varnish, lightly tinted with buff or ochre, just to bring the hue into line with what I have in my head! Also, these bad-boys had a gloss finish!

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Thats looking really nice John....You just cannot beat black basing when you have a light camo colour.

J

John Rixon

Well, a mixed day for me, the stencils went down well, but I'm now bitterly regretting sticking the balance weights on the aelerons... I just bloody KNEW one of those little sods would break off, and they did, caught by a rougue piece of masking tape as I was removing it. GRRRRR!
So snipped the other one off (I know in my heart that there's no way I could re-glue this in place successfully, now will have to somehow blend this eror in - probably in weathering.
IMG_5188.JPGIMG_5189.JPGIMG_5190.JPG

Guess how much I'm dreading fixing the wing nav lights into the tiny recess visible in the last shot??

F

Fenlander

I would re make those balance weights with a bit of bent brass rod and some modelling putty. Shouldn’t be hard to get something near enough.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I found the nav lights fitted well. Just make sure they are trimmed of surplus plastic. It helps to use a pic-up pencil which are more commonly used on pe. These lights are light enough for it.

That honomaru looks good John, so much easier and more realistic than decals, specially the awful Tammy ones.

J

John Rixon

I found the nav lights fitted well. Just make sure they are trimmed of surplus plastic. It helps to use a pic-up pencil which are more commonly used on pe. These lights are light enough for it.

That honomaru looks good John, so much easier and more realistic than decals, specially the awful Tammy ones.
Thanks Barry, its actually Model Air, a mix of Scarlet Red and Red, I kept adding the darker red until it became invisible when painted over the red on the colour sheet. I have a pick up pencil somewhere, will dig it out!

J

John Rixon

image.jpegimage.jpeg
Right, more masking, more nervous moments! The blue looks good to me, and the flexible masking tape and the usual yellow stuff work well. The Montex canopy masks, however, have given me serious grief. I gave up with them after sticking 3 bits onto the canopy, due to their predilection to leaning adhesive on the canopy when trying to line them up. Well, they were absolute Buggers to remove, as, being vinyl, they were stuck by the paint, then, just as you think you've grabbed a corner, the bastards leave adhesive all over the place. Avoid, like the plague, if you're asking me! The hand cut Tamiya ones behaved perfectly, so this is all logged in my brain! Oddly enough, though, the Montex insignia masks are as good as it gets! Totally different material, translucent and really forgiving to use, so really recommend them, but avoid their canopy masks like a dose!

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Funny, I quite liked their canopy masks. Any residue was cleaned off with a extra small Tammy cotton bud dipped in ipa
Nice progress there John love the blue.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
This is looking very impressive. Using masks isn't something I've ever done (except canopies) but I'm getting more and more persuaded to try them out.

J

John Rixon

This is looking very impressive. Using masks isn't something I've ever done (except canopies) but I'm getting more and more persuaded to try them out.
Well, the proof of the pudding is going to be the numbers on the tail plane, but so far, the insignia masks seem to work well! If the subject is big enough, it has a lot going for it - you certainly get that "painted on" look!
The montex insignia masks use Oramask 810, its really thin and has just the right tack!

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
John, you know I'm not a plane guy but I always look in on your work.
Your dedication to precision is to be commended, and the cleanliness of your work is excellent.

Sloppy old mud grubber that I am I really appreciate that quality.

Carry on:thumb2:

Jim