Tamiya A6M2bZero 1/32

T

Tony

Very nice build you have there John.

Can appreciate the time and effort you are taking on such a valuble kit.

J

John Rixon

She's beginning to look like a zero now, also beginning to feel quite big! image.jpeg
I've dry fitted the cowl, and it seems that it'll stay nicely in place without cement, so I reckon I'll leave it like that, so the engine is available to see. I've made a start on the undercarriage and wing control surfaces, will post pics later.

J

John Rixon

More cyano action - this time I used BluTac to try and stem the inexorable flow of thin CA, basically the 3 hinges are threaded onto a steel rod, which is then glued into a moulded groove. I had visions of the CA running right up to the hinges, which made me use this method. All went well, but its times like this when I yearn for a two-part ultra thin cement, where no adhesion takes place until a catalist has been introduced. we're not there yet, but it would be damned handy!

7F4B8E59-75EF-4E38-89B2-F12E586D37AD.JPG

AA32A765-1719-4F96-8D2D-B02F73ED1E9E.JPG

Whilst we are on the subject, I searched the sprues high and low for the part arrowed in the image above - two small plates that allowed compression of the oleos (Which I am pretty sure I'm going to glue in place anyway!). I couldnt find them anywhere, and just didn't get how Tamiya vould omit something like this. Then, after PM to BarryW asking him if I was missing something, I realised they were PE - DURRR - part 8 on the sprue in the first image. Aaaand breathe!

B2FB76C6-0692-402F-8F3D-D76BAC30466A.JPG

Now piecing the undercart together, which throws up another logistical conundrum - at which point to you commit to cement, bearing in mind that there are three colours in very tight proximity - black, aluminium and Ayotake green. I have settled on brush painting the main parts, they are small enough to get a great finish with a brush and some Model Air.
I feel I'm getting closer to mixing the main colour for the 'plane, which is a five colour mix (!) but I feel comfortable with this with my background!!

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
It's all looking flippin' marvellous. That's a good idea with the engine cowling, you can't hide an engine like that.

J

John Rixon

Stynylrez continues to amaze me! even though spraying a model this large has its challenges, this stuff just lays beautifully straight out of the pot.
image.jpeg
Now into the airing cupboard for 24 hours. The colour is now mixed, and there's a few little detailed parts to sort out while I wait.

J

Jens Andrée

More Hero than Zero if you ask me! ;)

I'm getting more and more keen on trying some air planes myself... Way different than my German tanks.
Trying to get the hang of it with a Horten Ho 229 and a Bf190 E in 1/72 scale just to understand the different approach?!
Later next year when the bench is a bit quieter I will attempt something flying in 1/32 scale and see how it goes?

Excited to see how this Zero turns out!

A

ajcmac

Stynylrez continues to amaze me! even though spraying a model this large has its challenges, this stuff just lays beautifully straight out of the pot.
View attachment 291493
Now into the airing cupboard for 24 hours. The colour is now mixed, and there's a few little detailed parts to sort out while I wait.

Beautiful. I liked the painting of black.

Regards

ajcmac

J

John Rixon

More Hero than Zero if you ask me! ;)

I'm getting more and more keen on trying some air planes myself... Way different than my German tanks.
Trying to get the hang of it with a Horten Ho 229 and a Bf190 E in 1/72 scale just to understand the different approach?!
Later next year when the bench is a bit quieter I will attempt something flying in 1/32 scale and see how it goes?

Excited to see how this Zero turns out!
Yup, the approach is different, for sure! If you've watched any Andy's Hobby Headquarters videos on building tanks, you'll see it is possible to pretty much build the thing, then paint it (especially owning an aitbrush like yours!). No way would it be possible with most planes - well, for airbrushing, anyway - but that is a big part of the challenge!

J

John Rixon

Beautiful. I liked the painting of black.

Regards

ajcmac
Thanks Antonio, I'm going to be black basing this, so it was a no brainier! The finish you get with Stynylrez is unreal, if I was painting a nightfighter, I'd be tempted to use this primer as topcoat. It is quite the most tolerant paint I've ever sprayed.

J

Jens Andrée

Yup, the approach is different, for sure! If you've watched any Andy's Hobby Headquarters videos on building tanks, you'll see it is possible to pretty much build the thing, then paint it (especially owning an aitbrush like yours!). No way would it be possible with most planes - well, for airbrushing, anyway - but that is a big part of the challenge!
I agree with the painting business and painting as you go, as you do with air planes, is something I want to do as standard from now on and bring with me to the tanks!
At first I didn't think it was possible to paint the details on the 1/72 scale planes I'm building but I've already managed to do a pretty descent cockpit in my Bf109E so apparently it works even for me - but I prefer larger scale ;)
Having my new airbrush has enabled me to have much greater control so I totally agree with you on that part - and it's an investment I don't regret doing!

I find I do the best work by trying things way outside my comfort zone, probably because I concentrate more? I wish I knew more about air planes like I do with tanks but that's just a matter of study - studying yours and others work that is!

J

John Rixon

I gave up trying to build aircraft a long time ago but this is looking good John.
I'm betting that you have all the required skills in abundance Graham! If you fancied it, just build one on the sly, then there's no pressure

F

Fenlander

I'm betting that you have all the required skills in abundance Graham! If you fancied it, just build one on the sly, then there's no pressure

I will never say never but although I still have a couple of aircraft kits, they are certainly not on the build list at the moment.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Looks great John. Black does something to aircraft, they seem infinitely more sinister.

J

John Rixon

Now the scary bit...

IMG_5176.JPG
This is all pretty new to me,and I may well have been a bit cautious on the thinners (ie too much) but this seems a decent enough background to now start laying the base coat over.
IMG_5177.JPG
She's begining to look the part, still looking a tad too green for my eye, so am going to add a few drops of khaki to the next layer. but the effect is certainly the kind of look I was going for!

D

Deleted member 4539

I think the pre-shading is great and shows up well with the first base layer.
Small tip....use a mist layer next so that you don't lose to much pre-shading.