tamiya extra thin cement

P

premacy10

Hi All,

was looking to buy some of this but found it has been banned in the uk. As i have young children now not keen to buy for health / safety reasons, little fingers get everywhere. Is there an alternative i can buy which does the same job as ths brush on glue.

Regards

Antony

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
It's only banned because of the packaging, it's no more harmful than any other, have a look on ebay you can get it for £5-6 delivered

P

Paul-H

I get mine from one of the many hong kong sellers on ebay as well, I normally get them in 6 at a time to make the postage worth while.

Paul

O

os40

What is harmful about poly cement?

I have a bottle of UHU poly cement. When I open the lid, it gives off a very strong scent and seems like it goes right down my throat!

what is the safe way of handling liquid cement?

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Okay,chemist's hat on again!

Liquid cements usually contain one of two principle solvents. I'll be home tomorrow and can post more info. Limit your exposure by always replacing the cap as the stuff will evaporate into the atmosphere where you will breathe it in. Don't get it on your skin if you can help it. Try to glue in a well ventilated room,open a window. The level of exposure you will experience in a normal modelling session won't cause you any harm.

Use common sense.

Cheers

Steve

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
\ said:
What is harmful about poly cement?
Do a google search for Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK) and you'll see ;)

O

os40

Hmm, I see. I think next time I use this stuff I will only glue parts outside and I'll wear one of those disposable masks.

I'm a hypochondriac , but rather be safe than sorry. I really did feel the 'vapors' go down my throat every time I opened the cap. It's an incredibly strong smell.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Methyl ethyl ketone (MEK) is probably slightly more friendly than Dichloromethane,which is the other solvent often used. A disposable mask won't do any good. . You would need a respirator designed to protect you from organic solvents.Open a window and put the top back on. There is no need to be paranoid,just sensible.

How much glue do you use? What's your exposure? Mine is very minimal.

Cheers

Steve

T

tecdes

Morning Antony. If you look in John's Shop you will find he stocks a similar glue.

model supplies, model making supplies, model making tools, uk cheap

I have some & tried it & it does the same job as the Tamiya.

Does not have such a pungent smell. Not sure how close this & Tamiya are in constituents.

Both do the same job ie clamp parts together then apply along the joint.

John also stocks a range of applicators for this glue. They take a little bit of getting use to but then come into their own.

One advantage is that the glue is about the third of the price of Tamiya when taking into account the postage. If ordered with other things virtually negligible.

Laurie

K

kaiyudsai

I swear by Dichloromethane...... it is hands down the best cementing agent I have ever used.... It has really elevated my model building..... it is widely available in the US>,..... so Im sure you can get it across the pond

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
I swear by Dichloromethane...... it is hands down the best cementing agent I have ever used.... It has really elevated my model building..... it is widely available in the US>,..... so Im sure you can get it across the pond
Some brands of cement available in the UK are dichloromethane based. They all work the same way. One other factor is that not all plastics are the same. This is self evident to modellers,some (PCM,Trumpeter for example) are obviously softer than others (Zoukei-Mura,Hasegawa). A MEK based cement like Tamiya's doesn't work so well on a 21st Century Toys kit as I've been discovering this morning!

Cheers

Steve

K

kaiyudsai

THis is the one I use

i'>Flex-I-File Touch-N-Flow System #7000 -- Sprue Brothers Models LLC Online Storet comes with a bottle with a needle applicator which I find completely useless.... and a glass pipette with a needle applicator on the end(this is what I use..) It allows you to apply a very small drop... you can vary the drop size by changing the angle of the pipette..... hard to explain but great once u get the hang of it.... like I said I havent used a brush on liquid cement since

F

Frankinspace

Butanone (MEK) and Dichloromethane (DCM) seem to be the most common solvents in Liquid Poly, and can be bought more cheaply as chemicals than as the plastic adhesive. But do avoid skin contact.

For your interest and information (and safety), from Wikipedia:

"Butanone (MEK) dissolves polystyrene and many other plastics, it is sold as "model cement" for use in connecting parts of scale model kits. Though often considered an adhesive, it is actually functioning as a welding agent in this context."

"Butanone is an irritant, causing irritation to the eyes and nose of humans." (etc)

_____

"Dichloromethane (DCM) chemically welds certain plastics. Often sold as a main component of plastic welding adhesives, it is also used extensively by model building hobbyists for joining plastic components together. It is commonly referred to as "Di-clo.""

"DCM is the least toxic of the simple chlorohydrocarbons, but it is not without health risks, as its high volatility makes it an acute inhalation hazard. It can also be absorbed through the skin." (etc)

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
I use it all the time emodels sell it..and if u worry about using that then u should never leave the house walking down a busy road is full of toxins.same as other house hold products in the end something will kill us sorry enjoy the ride and as long as you don't put it in a plastic bag and sniff it you should live to a ripe old age..

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Never called it Di-clo when I was in the lab it was always DCM, used to use it quite a bit.

as Steve said for the amount we use in modelling put the lid and use in a well ventilated room and there is no problem at all.

L

Laurie

You are probably more at risk of some of the chemicals used in floor, bathroom and kitchen cleaning.

Read some reports recently, wife had this thing as mother used it it is ok, One said, cannot remember

the chemical (sorry), it is toxic cannot say if it is harmful to humans but we recommend that you find

an alternative.

M & S. We completed a store in Jersey. The M & S posse arrived for tests. One was asbestos. Did

their test almost nil in the store but horrendous in the street outside.

As Steve has said be sensible. Actually I love the smell of Tamiya. Mr Cement not so good.

Laurie

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Never called it Di-clo when I was in the lab it was always DCM, used to use it quite a bit..
Hi Dave, I don't remember using it much when I was 'in the lab' but it was many years ago and all those solvents may have affected my memory :smiling3:

The problem is that people with no background in chemistry will read material data sheets or similar and then leap to all sorts of conclusions as they misinterpret the data which can seem quite frightening.

I think we can all agree that the extremely limited exposure incurred in normal model making should not be hazardous given a little common sense (like putting the lid back on and ensuring decent ventilation). There is no need to over react, we don't all need to start building in a fume cupboard whilst wearing an NBC suit :eek:

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Why are 5 year old threads being revived??
Who knows? It doesn't matter anyway. My guess is that a newer member may have found it interesting enough to post a comment.

Cheers

Steve