Tamiya mtl.spw.sd.kfz.251/1 Ausf.D german halftrack (1/35)

J

Jens Andrée

Looking great Jack!!! You'll see that in no time at all you'll be an all-in tank guy like so many of us here :D

Question: are you painting with undiluted paint? It might just be the angle/light combo but it looks like the paint is a wee bit thick on the halftrack... In reality this is probably the most accurate compared to the super-even airbrushed surfaces modellers do, but it's the only detail I could possibly consider as an improvement - unless it's a angle/light effect of the photo?

Anyhow looking damn good for the first bigger vehicle and a very good start going for your first tank!
Remember what I said about the Panther and it's "wonkyness" and treat it as a "learner" where you don't have to worry about making "oops" moments!

Also, when you're done with the Panther send me your address via PM. I've accidentally ordered the same Takom kit twice due to an Engrish communication breakdown and instead of doing an already silly diorama double silly I thought I'd hand that kit over to you instead to have fun with. For free obviously!
It's a simple build apart from two hairy (not literally) PE pieces but I can give you a few pointers when it's time for that ;)

It's not here yet but should be so in a couple of weeks and I'll just send it as soon as it's arrived. :smiling3:

J

Jack10

Looking great Jack!!! You'll see that in no time at all you'll be an all-in tank guy like so many of us here :D

Question: are you painting with undiluted paint? It might just be the angle/light combo but it looks like the paint is a wee bit thick on the halftrack... In reality this is probably the most accurate compared to the super-even airbrushed surfaces modellers do, but it's the only detail I could possibly consider as an improvement - unless it's a angle/light effect of the photo?

Anyhow looking damn good for the first bigger vehicle and a very good start going for your first tank!
Remember what I said about the Panther and it's "wonkyness" and treat it as a "learner" where you don't have to worry about making "oops" moments!

Also, when you're done with the Panther send me your address via PM. I've accidentally ordered the same Takom kit twice due to an Engrish communication breakdown and instead of doing an already silly diorama double silly I thought I'd hand that kit over to you instead to have fun with. For free obviously!
It's a simple build apart from two hairy (not literally) PE pieces but I can give you a few pointers when it's time for that ;)

It's not here yet but should be so in a couple of weeks and I'll just send it as soon as it's arrived. :smiling3:

I had a bit of a nightmare with the camo, ended up starting with a different camo pattern in mind, messed up a good 2 or 3 times and ended up respraying with Tamiya dark yellow a few times and settled on this pattern. Would of got a much nicer finish with an airbrush but as you know I only use brushes and rattle cans so it ended up looking a bit messy and thick, as i got a bit impatient towards the end of it and probably just slipped it on too thick rather than doing a few lighter coats. Oh well like you say the nazis armour was all painted using different methods, some were sprayed on, some were painted by hand so It might of looked like that in reality you never know.

Really? Are you sure you wouldn't want anything for it? Might kind of you jens I'm touched that you would do that. You're a true gent jens.

J

Jens Andrée

Often they painted with that they had at hand, be it a broom or a rag on a stick - there's no first price for a fancy paint job in war.
The Germans at least had equipment for spraying paint in the field, but how many had access to this I don't know.

Even in the mid early 90's when I was in uniform we hand painted splinter camo on our AFV's when they needed a touch up, and we weren't exactly in combat either ;)

All those resprays and several attempts you made were useful because we learn the best by failing, and continue until we succeed - so that means that your halftrack is a success for sure!
I don't know what I would do without my airbrush, albeit I'm still a learner. I'm currently partly brush painting a MiniArt house diorama and parts of it looks really bad... luckily it's a rather broken building so it'll be covered by weathering, but I aim to do a proper paint job before weathering because I need the experience and cheating teaches me nothing.
I've built 11 or 12 tanks since the beginning of the summer (not all are painted) and it's not that long time ago I started to get the hang of things, and in order to get here I didn't paint the models I built to look great and I instead bough a bunch of simpler and average models to practise on. I also practise on spare parts on sprues and I've even practised airbrushing on plastic soft drink bottles! Better to screw up a wonky kit or a Fanta bottle than the £100+ King Tiger you've always dreamt of but you haven't got the skills - yet - to complete. That's how I got back into modelling again.

No, I don't want anything for it the kit. I managed to order two by mistake, Engrish or Chinglish I don't know, but one arrived and got built last week and then I found out another one was on its way...
I figured it'll be more useful and appreciated if I send it to you so that's what I'm going to do! ;)
Trust me, you've got a lot of surface area to practise painting on that kit... :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
T

Tony

That looks very nice indeed.

These open top vehicle have so much more internal detail you have to work on and i really like what you have done with yours.

P

Paulalison

nice job Jack,i have this kit,very cheap,so im going to dive in straight away with weathering,pin washing and chipping,i also want to use the hairspray method of weathering,it says in the kit instructions that from 1943 the base colour was dark yellow,so im thinking of doing the dark yellow,then appling german dark grey on top,enabling me to use the hairspay method of wear and tear

J

Jack10

Thanks chaps.

Yeah tony there is lots to do on the interior and I still have plenty of equipment and stuff to add. You even get the little decals for the panzerfaust's which I need to add. Glad you like it so far, I am planning on adding it to a diorama with some figures I got last week as I have lost the figures that came with it (I've had it sat around for 15-20 years)

Paul it really is a great kit I love german armour. I've still got some more weathering to do on it. I look forward to seeing your build of it :smiling3: