The Battle of Britain Combat Archive series

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Just ordered what looks to be a very good (if pricey) series of books on the BoB. The series builds into 10 volumes (I've ordered the first 4) and each volume covers specific dates with both RAF and Luftwaffe losses and claims, the squadrons involved, profiles etc, etc.

I'll review again once these arrive but they look very good from the examples I've seen.

Cheers
Paul

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
They are excellent Paul. They make a very good day to day account of the battle, with plenty of interesting detail. Given the amount of research I reckon them good value.
I'll be interested to see your review.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
They are excellent Paul
I've got to say that, on the strength of the examples I've seen, this looks like pretty much a definitive account of the battle (or as close as you can expect to get!)
I'm really looking forward to reading them hence the post in the first place (don't normally bother shouting about reference material).
Do you have them Steve? I can only see 4 volumes so far and I understand another issue is published every quarter? Same company that published Luftwaffe Crash Archive.

It's reassuring to hear you give them the thumbs up!
Cheers
P

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi Paul, I do have them and at the moment Volume Four is the latest. There was some delay in its publication if I remember correctly. I don't remember signing up for anything but I usually get an email from Wing Leader when a new volume is ready.
The series is a great one stop reference and full of all sorts of interesting stuff that you don't get in a mighty reference tome like 'The Battle of Britain Then and Now' or drier histories like 'Right of the Line'.

The Luftwaffe Crash Archive is up to Volume Ten now, all the way up to the end of 1943! The two series obviously cover some common ground in the earlier volumes, but I see them as complimentary rather than exclusive.

Cheers

Steve