rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
\ said:
Damn, that put a tear in my eye recalling the 'ol days......!:rolleyes:
Truely exceptional work bud!! :cool:

Those Scalescenes posters are top notch! :smiling3:
I loved working in AMF at Kinloss, this diorama is inspired by 4 hangar and there is just so much that can be added still to bring it more to life. The original picture I posted and those donated by Gregg are packed with detail.

Thanks for looking.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
While waiting for paint or glue to dry on other builds I added a lick of paint to some of the "clutter" that will populate The Hangar, some recycled bits and spares from my model railway as aircraft parts, and the engine stand. The generator I got from a visit to a model railway shop in America many years ago and could pass as a piece of RAF GSE (or not, according to my GSE expert...the wife!)

View attachment 124451

image.jpg

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I had a play around with this again today to see how things fit into the limited space of the wooden box. I still have a lot to do, staging, lifting jacks, more work benches and some home made decals maybe.

Details added today include two lockers, a shelf with boxes and aircraft spares, bins, sexist poster, filing cabinet, work orders and F731's, workbench with cantilever toolbox and aircraft components, tool cabinet, servicing trolley, A frame steps and some vehicles from Oxford die cast.

WP_20151114_16_30_11_Pro.jpg

WP_20151114_16_29_44_Pro.jpg

WP_20151114_16_30_02_Pro.jpg

WP_20151114_16_30_21_Pro.jpg

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Looking great!!:cool:

Um......where are the fire extinguishers?o_O

Did you guys also use trays and sawdust/wood chippings for leaks?o_O

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
\ said:
Looking great!!:cool:
Um......where are the fire extinguishers?o_O

Did you guys also use trays and sawdust/wood chippings for leaks?o_O
I haven't got to them yet, I'm thinking about a fire point, the home made decals will hopefully include one. I have also been pondering how to make drip trays and a "chickensh1t" trolley for soaking up oil spills. There's still so much to do without over doing it though. If you have any suggestions on stuff I may have missed please say, it's most welcome.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
No hangar should be without drip trays for placing under those leaky aircraft. I made this one from an old tin foil takeaway carton flattened then formed into the shape of a drip tray. A coat of Matt varnish and some oils spots will finish it off.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Here's a closer look at some of the clutter, aircraft parts from the scrap box and plastic rod - avionics LRUs, work orders, red cantilever tool box, a newspaper and some aircraft parts. Paint tin for scale.

image.jpeg

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
this is all looking so very good,real like all the added detail,which adds so much more feeling to

the work place very well done,liking it a lot,

keep up the great work, ;)

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I need some aircraft lifting jacks for the side of this hangar so out came the plastic rod and tube, this is as far as I have got tonight with just one main jack partially assembled using the Humbrol cutting mat to achieve the tripod alignment. A second will need to be built along with a nose jack which will be smaller of course and some trimming and finishing touches to all of them including bracing struts and pads.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Yep, some very good scratch building going on here Rick. This is going to be a masterpiece.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Every hangar needs a set of gas bottles and this kit from Flightpath will look right at home in mine. The kit has options for a single cylinder trolley or as set of four with decals for both nitrogen and oxygen bottles.

image.jpeg

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
About time I caught up on this build. Outstanding work Rick, amazing detail and set up of all the pieces, so easy to get over cluttered and disjointed in a dio. 

Si:smiling3:

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I need some aircraft lifting jacks for the side of this hangar so out came the plastic rod and tube, this is as far as I have got tonight with just one main jack partially assembled using the Humbrol cutting mat to achieve the tripod alignment. A second will need to be built along with a nose jack which will be smaller of course and some trimming and finishing touches to all of them including bracing struts and pads.

View attachment 250777

View attachment 250778

View attachment 250779

Both of the main jacks are built now. The cross members were added using plastic rod and it is surprisingly rigid. I made the tripod feet using thin plastic card cut with punch pliers then tried them for fit in holes drilled adjacent to the gear bays using photos as reference. Nose jack next.

image.jpeg

View attachment 256897

image.jpeg

View attachment 256899

image.jpeg