The Same Car GB.

P

Polux

Hi!

In a few days we can go for the "Same Car" GB......

So...we need a car, a victim :smiling3:........any suggestion?

The idea is listen the members who are interested to take part on this one.......thanks.

Polux

Paul Davies

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
vw beetle is a nice easy one to get hold of. Does the make of kit matter or just that it is the same car?

P

Polux

The Beetle is a nice idea, Ian ;)

The idea is the same car.

Free brand, free scale and free paintwork. A "what if" is allowed as well :smiling3:

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
How's about the mini (not the BMW thing ) I have one in my stash

P

Polux

Another classic Peter :smiling3:

I will design a list with the few options.....and then, will post a poll to choice the "winner"

S

Ssasho0

I have a Jaguar e-type and Mercedes 300 slr Ulenhaut coupe. Wondering which one to start at the moment :smiling3:

P

Plastickitbasher

How about the following

VW Beatle Cabriolet

VW Golf

VW Golf Cabriolet

Citroen 2CV

D

dubster72

With regard to which model of car is chosen, some thought needs to be given to the kits available in the marketplace. Cars with longer production runs will generally mean a greater number of available kits.

Even then, many European cars are not well represented, due to the fact that many model companies are based in Japan.

My personal vote would be for either the VW Golf or the Porsche 911. Both have been in continuous production for over 40 years & there are a number of kits out there - especially the 911.

However, car choice is personal thing, so I'm wondering how many people will be enthused by one particular model of car. 

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Right I don't normaly complain about the group builds, I just join in. But I didn't vote for this one, so the people who did must have had a car in mind.?

Polux as worked hard to get the GB's up and running so please let's get our heads together and think of a car to build.

this year there's been too many GB's voted for and not many have joined. 

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Right I don't normaly complain about the group builds, I just join in. But I didn't vote for this one, so the people who did must have had a car in mind.?

Polux as worked hard to get the GB's up and running so please let's get our heads together and think of a car to build.

this year there's been too many GB's voted for and not many have joined. 

i actually proposed this as an idea but i expected us to decide on the car way back then, not just before we start it!

if you want a car that has been kitted a lot or is readily available id say either Porsche 911, Corvette or Mustang in any of its guises or the Mini since the tamiya kits are so cheap and cheerful 

one reason ive not joined in on many GBs is cos there has been too many (and i join in with GBs on other forums, cos shock horror, there are other forums out there) and not that many on here have interested me, and i really have had a lack of time so far this year

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
However, car choice is personal thing, so I'm wondering how many people will be enthused by one particular model of car. 

ive done it loads of times on other forums and it can work well, if you pick the right subject (and not just cars...done it with planes too)........even once did a build off with two guys doing the exact same kit since we all bought it on the same weekend and thought it would be fun.....it was interesting to see how each of us approached the same kit in different ways 

P

Polux

This weekend I will open the new GB threads.

We should wait for who are the takers, and then, decide the subject.

It’s a fine option for all you?

Last edited:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I think to make this work well it needs to be set in stone that it is the same car. Not just the same badge but make, and model as well. 

I believe the idea was to pick a common icon, like the VW bubble.... which year. there is a world of difference between the first and the last.Beetle.

We did it with the Fw190 as the very first GB ever and it was a blast.

I recon something like a classic mini or the beetle have to be the two best choices, but which one? What is available..

It might also be an idea to have a swap around in the callendar to give folks time to find the chosen victim.

D

dubster72

After doing a little research, which is by no means exhaustive(!), there appears to be 6 classic Mini kits available. 3 from Tamiya & 3 from Revell, although a couple of these seem to be the same car; the Monte Carlo rally version.

VW Beetles are similarly represented, with about 5 separate kits I've seen, mostly by Revell - no surprise there! Airfix also make a Beetle kit as does Hasegawa, a German Politzei one!

So it's six of one & about half-a-dozen of the other ;)

Unless the Porsche 911 gets a look in... on eBay I counted 14 different kit examples in a quick scroll... :ph34r: no prizes for guessing what I'd vote for ;)

LEAVE! Whoops that's tomorrow! :P

D

dubster72

This weekend I will open the new GB threads.

We should wait for who are the takers, and then, decide the subject.

It’s a fine option for all you?

Sorry Polux, but wouldn't the takers be decided by the final subject? Rather than the other way around...

P

Polux

I opened this thread trying to know who will join in and the possible subject of the GB! Please start to decide :smiling3:

As per usual, I suppose, will be two members running the GB. Three if we are lucky. So the first step is to know the subject and the members....

Some time ago we had a Mini GB, so I prefer to don’t repeat it again, almost by the moment.

The Beetle is an option, not very original, but an option.....

My opinion is that GB is perfect for a Land Rover. Take a HobbyBoss one and turn it into an ambulance, military, farmer, Camel Trophy,....etc. Here the modeller can leave the imagination blow up and be a good exercise of painting and scratch build, if it necessary..... Anyway, as I know nobody is interested on this one...., why not the Dave's idea? a 2CV!

Is original and different. We can choice the van version and do a lovely work of painting and make your own decals for a business version. 

I will be waiting for your ideas and comments ;)