Then and now- 4th stormo Regia Aeronautica - Fiat cr32 and Typhoon

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
After being a bit busy these last few weeks ive got a bit more done on the typhoon this weekend. The main thing has been the cockpit which is now done, the seat is painted with a few extra straps and cables and doesnt look too bad, the rest of the cockpit is fairly plain,as the modern ones are, with just switches and a throttle lever. The instrument panel is the same being just buttons and lcd display screens, the kit supplied item having raised detail and also supplying no less than 10 decals for this in case you didnt want to paint the detail. I settled for a mixture of the two and the only thing added here was the supprt struts for the HUD and a circle of holographic confetti for the projector screen. Once the cockpit is done the fuselage can go together but not before i drilled out the APU exhaust vent above the port wingroot. This is what causes the characteristic sooty mark on all typhoons and is just represented by a shallow hole on the kit. I decided to add a small tube to make the hole look better and used a section of bendy drinking straw ,superglued on at an angle. The fuselage is going to get glued tonight so hopefully it should start moving quicker now, cheers tony

View attachment 36820

View attachment 36821

View attachment 36822

View attachment 36823

View attachment 36824

View attachment 36825

View attachment 36826

View attachment 36827

View attachment 36828

P1100041 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1100043 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1100045 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1100046 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1100048 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1100049 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1100051 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1100052 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1100054 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Neat bang seat and office there Tony. A good idea with the straw too.

Its funny how more often than not the cockpit takes more time than the rest of the build.

Ian M

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Cheers ian, it wasnt so much the cockpit as my lack of time that slowed the build, but now the big bits are going together its coming on nicely. The kit cockpit is fine isnt it?,i dont think a resin or P.E. replacement would be much different, the actual thing is very simplified . I must say though , im very impressed with the rest of the kit, great details in the undercarriage areas and the fit and engineering is very well thought out,as with all the new revell stuff- i just cant understand why a lot of people regard them as not very good. cheers tony

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
LOL I didn't mean any thing by it other than the cockpit always seams to take more time than the rest or an aircraft. On problem here, its taken me longer than ever to build my Jag, so I can hardly talk...:smiling:

I agree with the comment on Revell as well. The new stuff is pretty good and much improved on from their early kits. Another good reason to keep an eye on Revell is that they often do re-boxed Hasegawa kits. And now't wrong with them is there!

I will probably end up with a 'phoon some time so I will be glad to see how this one looks.

Ian M

First Name
Dave
Another thing with Revell is they rebox the old Monogram kits that you and i love Tony.I Bought the 1/48 B24D a couple of months ago.Its a good old Monogram kit with Revells better quality decal sheet.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Well, I did it!! I managed to get this one finished last night - in the final hours of the six month build time!! This has taken me quite a while, what with holidays, work etc but im happy with how its turned out. The build thread has been a bit bare due to me not having much time to take pics etc but it was a fairly uneventful build, a very nice kit,just a few little things to watch out for (seams in intake, undercarriage doors needing shaving down a bit) All that has been added to the basic kit is a few more harnesses on the seat, a replacement HUD and projector (as i lost the kit one!)the APU exhaust port and a few brake lines on the u/c legs. The stencils took AGES! there were loads ,although it does look better for it ( the decals by the way , were revells usual excellent standard,easy to use and all the tiny stencils were readable under magnification -NON SALIRE -no step!) One point for anyone making this kit, dont forget to add the nose weight, I did! OOPS! Fortunately for me, this particular weapons fit and a tiny bit of good fortune meant that it wasnt a tail sitter anyway, but loaded with more weapons and the intermediate pylons might be a different story? The kit is finished in the standard air to air role as recently employed by the 4th stormo,enforcing the no fly zone over Libya (the only difference is the real thing carries 4 IRIS T missiles in this role, but the kit only supplies two) Here are a few pics with the Fiat cr32 , Ill be taking some more for a 'completed' post later when the light is a bit better, cheers tony

View attachment 37555

View attachment 37556

View attachment 37557

View attachment 37558

P1100064 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1100067 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1100066 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1100065 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

coachman

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi Tony,two more masterpieces for your shelf. It must have been a doddle

for you working at this scale compared to your usual miniatures. Lovely

paint jobs,I particularly like the Typhoon,very realistic. John

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Cheers guys, i'm just off outside now to get some pics for a completed thread in the sunshine! cheers tony