They didn't expect this - Marines at Peleliu

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi,

From here onwards is what you'll be liking Peter...figures. I lost the whole section on constructing the Dragon Tarawa Gen 2 figures but I saved the part where I painted the heads of two of them.
At the beginning I started out with four figures but now have ended up with nine. I have a mixture of Tarawa and Okinawan WindTalker figures...their weapons may be the same but there was subtle difference in uniform and webbing equipment. In tarawa the 2nd Marine Division war camoflaged blouses and pants. By Okinawa the 1st, 2nd and 6th Marine Divisions all wore jungle green or drab. Can anyone confirm if the 1st Marine Division in Peleliu were issued with the camo fatigues or just plain green/drab?

LO129.jpg

I would normally prime my figures before painting but I went ahead with the faces by first applying a base coat of flesh. It's a bit on the dark side and will need lightening...I over sun burnt them.:tears-of-joy:

LO142.jpgLO143.jpg

I have used all four figures from the Tarawa set including the lying prone and flame thrower figures with very little tweaks and grinding of the helmets so they sit more snugly.

LO144.jpg

I have also used four figures from the Windtalker set. They're not as detailed as the Tarawa Gen2 figs and were modified extensively. The 9th figure below is a little out of the ordinary coming from Tamiya's old Wehrmacht jumping from the Hanomag figure. This one needed major surgery.

LO158.jpgLO169.jpg
I slowly carved the leggings from the boot and built up the arms...

LO170.jpg

...adding putty bit by bit to beef up the arms.

LO171.jpg

Changed the head to a more agressive looking Hornet head added the back pack...

LO186.jpg

Found two actual Marines style shovel

LO187.jpg

A layer of nato black primer and a misting of white from above to help when painting highlights. I've still not decided to give him a bayoneted rifle or not hence the blu tac. Just noticed i haven't added the straps for the back pack and the bayonet scabbard which is basically attached to the side of the back pack.

LO195.jpg

More later on the other figure modifications.

Cheers,
Richard

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
Hi,

From here onwards is what you'll be liking Peter...figures. I lost the whole section on constructing the Dragon Tarawa Gen 2 figures but I saved the part where I painted the heads of two of them.
At the beginning I started out with four figures but now have ended up with nine. I have a mixture of Tarawa and Okinawan WindTalker figures...their weapons may be the same but there was subtle difference in uniform and webbing equipment. In tarawa the 2nd Marine Division war camoflaged blouses and pants. By Okinawa the 1st, 2nd and 6th Marine Divisions all wore jungle green or drab. Can anyone confirm if the 1st Marine Division in Peleliu were issued with the camo fatigues or just plain green/drab?

View attachment 301978

I would normally prime my figures before painting but I went ahead with the faces by first applying a base coat of flesh. It's a bit on the dark side and will need lightening...I over sun burnt them.:tears-of-joy:

View attachment 301979View attachment 301980

I have used all four figures from the Tarawa set including the lying prone and flame thrower figures with very little tweaks and grinding of the helmets so they sit more snugly.

View attachment 301981

I have also used four figures from the Windtalker set. They're not as detailed as the Tarawa Gen2 figs and were modified extensively. The 9th figure below is a little out of the ordinary coming from Tamiya's old Wehrmacht jumping from the Hanomag figure. This one needed major surgery.

View attachment 301982View attachment 301983
I slowly carved the leggings from the boot and built up the arms...

View attachment 301984

...adding putty bit by bit to beef up the arms.

View attachment 301985

Changed the head to a more agressive looking Hornet head added the back pack...

View attachment 301986

Found two actual Marines style shovel

View attachment 301987

A layer of nato black primer and a misting of white from above to help when painting highlights. I've still not decided to give him a bayoneted rifle or not hence the blu tac. Just noticed i haven't added the straps for the back pack and the bayonet scabbard which is basically attached to the side of the back pack.

View attachment 301988

More later on the other figure modifications.

Cheers,
Richard
The picture you made gives you the right position of all the shadows and the highlights... plus your convertion is SUPERB. The head is a "Hornet" one?

D

Deleted member 6559

You're good at this aren't you Richard? Certainly gets my juices flowing!

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
Love your palms and the figures are great. As Peter says 'You're good at this'
Jim

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Richard

Terrific update on the figures. All going in the right direction:thumb2:

Steve

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Guys,

Greg, yes there'll be more.
Peter, I try...juices flowing? :thinking:
Jimbo, it's a learning curve as I progress.
Steve, yes towards the enemy. :tears-of-joy:

Guess what I've tinkered again with the LVT...penetration of small calibre shell in drivers section. Pictures when ready.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi, currently this is where I am at with the dio...

LO204.jpg I have positioned the figures roughly. So far comments have been made to keep the foreground empty and move the flame thrower perhaps to the left and move the running Marine up the slope.
The LVT was worked on again with damage added and highlights with dry brushing to bring out the modulation which disappeared when varnished earlier.

LO196.jpgLO197.jpg

I have finally dug in the LVT and added the sand around the cavity so now its permanently lodged.

LO198.jpgLO199.jpgLO200.jpg

We have been experiencing war footages in Black & White but in real life the Pacific islands are colourful now as they were then apart from the blackening of burnt fauna and strewn rubbish of war. Maybe I ought to tone down the colours...what do you think? So far the base still needs work as palm fronds have yet to be scattered and is far from finished. May add creepers to the coconut trunks. Add burn marks to the palm leaves and have some tones of ageing leaves.

LO201.jpg

The bark of the coconut trees acn do with some tonal contrast

LO202.jpg

The bullet damage still needs attention. Something macabre like a slumped hand and a heavy machine gun poking out of the bunker slit.

LO203.jpg

Thanks for looking in.

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
Looking very good indeed. I like the brighter colours - they will contrast well with the war damage. The damage to the LVT is convincing. I like the idea of a machine gun poking out of the bunker but personally I don't think the macabre hand idea.
Jim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Jimbo, thanks. I too am not that into the macabre idea. Am always uncomfortable with showing dead mangled bodies. Even for wounded infantry...they would be intact with all four limbs.
On the LVT I hope that's the last I put paint on...it probably has five to six layers. :smiling4:

Started on painting the head of the scrambling figure. Very contrast on close up but suitable for the dio to pick out his expression at the nearest distance of a foot. He's at an odd place for viewing any closer.

The straps have just been attached and needs cleaning up. Doesn't look good so I might replace it with foil.

LO205.jpg

He won't be leaning on a fixed bayoneted rifle. I will switch that. The image is so huge it has picked up the rough detail and the digital pixels have separated the colour pigments. The blending is much smoother with the naked eye or I need an eye check...:tears-of-joy:

I'm glad I chosed a Hornet head, painting is so much easier.

Cheers,
Richard

First Name
Wouter
Hi Richard, I like this update, so much to look at in this scene. And as Jim I like the vibrant colors, after all that's how it is/was. Like what you have planned so looking forward to the next update.

Cheers

D

Deleted member 6559

Love it! The face on the figure is terrific. Interesting what you say about viewing distance - I suppose people won'y get closer than a foot - must remember that!.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
How very kind of you both, thank you.

Wouter, imagine fighting in such colorful surroundings...I mean people now pay to go to places like these. A friend has help with a title for this "Hell in Paradise"
Peter, the LVT will be in the way of this figure and he is placed somewhere about a foot from the edge of the dio. :smiling2: well thats how I see it.

Cheers,
Richard

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
As usual your work is spectacular the position of the marines is so natural can’t wait to see more

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Truly wonderful Richard. Your having a lot of fun with this

J

Jim Barry

I love this. Like the Iwo Jima memorial (and famous photo) in the drama effect. Colors are great. It's very bright in the Pacific.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Guys, Greg, Paul, Steve J and Jim...thank you for your kind comments.

This is always the fun part of dios when the components come together. I am trying to keep the groundwork as bright as possible 'cos Peleliu was made up of coral and white sand and the high ground was limestone. This mad parts of the terrain looking like dirty snow powder with tropical vegetation. The heat, hot blazing sun and hot metal zipping around made it inhospitable.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Okay...after or while the para is curing I primed the rest of the figures and painted their faces and hands. Base coat for helmet covering painted too. Moving onto their clothing and equipment...

LO206.jpg LO207.jpg

Hornet heads are sublime to paint. The hands aren't great but I'm ok with it.

LO208.jpg

Improved on this guys face by smoothening out his cheeks and accentuated the eyes.

LO209.jpg

Welcome to comment.

Cheers,
Richard