They didn't expect this - Marines at Peleliu

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Superb stuff Richard.
I've really enjoyed watching this come together.
Very well done.

Ron

A

Armorguy

Not one single flaw in this diorama, stunning composition, marvelous figures and vehicle.

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Richard

A great model. Good luck in the competition.
John

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
Really good.The figures look great and interact very well.
Every thing works.
Jon.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Richard,
You have excelled yourself this is a great piece of the modellers art.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Greg, Andrew, Jim, Ian, Peter, Ron, Guy, John, Jon and Paul. Sorry for not replying earlier 'cos was up north at the Penang MALCOM show competition. I did get a silver for this although it wasn't quite finished. There were some finishing yet to do like the build up of the groundwork onto the feet of the figures and coconuts. Didn't manage to scatter more green palm fronds onto the ground.

Calvin Tan did some photography on my dio along with all his favorite pick of figure comps and were reviewing close ups on his laptop in his room with Jaume Ortiz...yup the Jaume Ortiz. He was a guest for the show along with Korean and Japanese painters and what a treat to have him commenting on my dio.

I managed a bronze for both my Panzerjager I and Tugboat in their categories.

The best time is usually the get together after the day is over at the nightspots and eateries. Will do a short pic heavy report on the show later. This time there was too many to cover and I missed photoing the cars and cute builds.

Cheers,
Richard

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Richard.
Great to this finish like this, a well deserved public acknowledgement on FB.
Having it photographed by Kelvin Tan, well says it all !
Well done .:thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:
John

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Awesome! A more than well deserved silver, though honestly that was all gold for me!!:thumb2::thumb2:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hey John and Gavin, thanks for the support. Worked on the dio further and when done will snap some more pictures. I'm already onto my next dio for next year dusting off a shelf queen. :smiling4:

Cheers,
Richard

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Not to sure how much more you can learn as it looks perfect to me. A well deserved Silver and the photos really bring it to life. Well done sir:thumb2:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Steve, thanks. At a glance it looks alright but with close scrutiny Mr Spock would ask for logic. My Marines are spick and span with clean boots, no sweat stains, discarded backpacks missing, fresh green palm fronds are missing, a knocked out protruding heavy machine gun at the bunker aperture would have been nice, coconuts were too fresh and clean and had the same green, foot prints near the running soldier missing, not enough foliage like creepers near the bushes, those that I had weren't painted and not enough blending of fresh ground work to the earlier one applied. That's the basic list and if I have the time perhaps a crab on foreground lying tree trunk. :smiling6:

Cheers,
Richard

D

Daniel Horvath

Hi Richard I like to congratulate you for the silver medal it’s well deserved ! Your work is absolutely stunning and it’s definitely captures the moment! You should be very proud ! Thanks for sharing the progress of this built with us, is been a pleasure to watch! Looking forward to your next amazing project! Best regards Danny and congrats again sir!

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
Superb Dio on every respect. Silver was richly deserved. I look forward to seeing the little extras you have planned.
Jim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Guys...Daniel, Jim and Colin. Great support from you guys. Already painted some of the creepers and added the palm fronds...pictures will come up when ready.

Cheers,
Richard

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
... can’t wait to see more and congrats for your price

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Sorry for the late reply Greg...Thanks.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi,
Made some progress with the sand residue weathering on the ends of the Marines trousers as well as on the boots. The other thing that I had done were the backpacks and more coconuts.
Here are some initial pictures with the central backpack pouches made with two part Bondite putty.

228.jpg

Once that cured it was easier to add the rolled tarp and straps. Plastic rod was stuck into the shovel and covers made from the same putty material.

229.jpg

Someone suggested I should make copies by casting them. Anyway that's all I could produce for now.

Cheers,
Richard

D

Daniel Horvath

Hi there Richard your craftsmanship is amazing! Superb details on everything! They right you should cast them ! Looking forward for the next updates! Best regards Danny