Amusing Hobby 1/35 Panzerkampfwagen VII VK 7201 (K)

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Here's my build thread for this tank given to me by my Grandson to make on his behalf whilst he's away being heduficated!

Sorry, I forgot the sprue shots.

P1210831.JPG

Made some good progress on the lower hull. The running gear has those working cross thingies, so the wheels all go boing boing........ :thumb2:
P1210832.JPG

Very strange wheel configuration. I had to check twice to make sure I'd got it right!
P1210833.JPG

P1210835.JPG

Cheers all.
Ron

A

Armorguy

That's a good start of something interesting. Was this type actually built or was it a paper design ?

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
A’noon Ron,
Will have to keep a lookout for updates...it’s an ugly so-and-so, but quite appealing, a bit like me:smiling5:

HI Ron yes I will too as as ive never seen a tank like this before very unusual an such a whopper of a gun tube an nice work as well

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks boys. It is a strange looking brute for sure.

A’noon Ron,
Will have to keep a lookout for updates...it’s an ugly so-and-so, but quite appealing, a bit like me:smiling5:

Si, and just like this tank, once upon a time you were a blue print too...... :smirk: :thumb2:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ron
Certainly different. Quite a brute. Don't remember coming across Amusing Hobby before. What's the kit like?
Jim

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Hi Ron
Certainly different. Quite a brute. Don't remember coming across Amusing Hobby before. What's the kit like?
Jim
Sorry Jim, I should have typed my thoughts at the start. I hadn't come across Amusing Hobbies before either. I was a bit wary, but the kit is fine. All fits well thus far, plus working suspension and a bit of photo etch.

However, I have taken a look at the tracks!!!!! As far as I can make out there are four pieces to each separate and very wide link and 170 links to make up. You do the maths.....:cold-sweat:

Cheers.
Ron

Reactions: JR

prichrd1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Ron,

Off to a great start, 680 parts to the tracks, that's a lot of fiddly bits.

Good luck with that part!!

Paul.
:smiling2:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Very strange wheel configuration. I had to check twice to make sure I'd got it right!
It’s basically the same as on the Tiger II. The Germans moved away from the fully interleaved roadwheels like on the Tiger I and Panthers because of the maintenance headache they caused, and to reduce the amount of mud building up between them that would eventually jam the whole suspension.

1368496316651.jpg

Imagine having to change the inner wheel on the fourth axle from the front (that’s on the right in this illustration). You’d have to take off 14 wheels to even get to it! With the wheels layout of the model you’re building, to get to any inner wheel requires taking off “only” five :smiling3:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Can I join please 570, looks a beast.
I'm always glad there's a picture to refer too.
Those wheels do look very odd, I'd soon get in muddle ! :smiling2:

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Sorry Jim, I should have typed my thoughts at the start. I hadn't come across Amusing Hobbies before either. I was a bit wary, but the kit is fine. All fits well thus far, plus working suspension and a bit of photo etch.

However, I have taken a look at the tracks!!!!! As far as I can make out there are four pieces to each separate and very wide link and 170 links to make up. You do the maths.....:cold-sweat:

Cheers.
Ron
Ron,
Would this wheel layout be something akin to the Tiger(s) where for transport you have the configuration you have and for combat wheels were added, just a thought. Looking to see how this works out. But I suppose it's mother loves it.
Cheers, Mike.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Only if you’re lucky :smiling3:

Why lucky? In a couple of configurations it would only take the removal of three wheels to gain access to the inner one. Unless you mean the fitter only had a pair of mole grips. If so, luck would indeed play a significant part in the removal of the said wheels!

Mike, I don't know, but I would suggest they are the combat set as they are as wide as the upper body. Also, as the thing only reached the drawing board I doubt if any thought was given to designing narrower transport tracks. The box art also shows the wide tracks. Anyone's guess really. Take your pick....... :thumb2:

Just had a thought. The tank is that big, transporting it would have been a major headache.... :worried:

Cheers all.
Ron

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Why lucky?
Lucky in that the wheel you need to replace, is one of those that only needs removal of three others.

Just had a thought. The tank is that big, transporting it would have been a major headache.... :worried:
I’m not sure how big this tank is, but is it larger than a Tiger II or Jagdtiger? Then transport would certainly have been an issue. There are photos of American M25 tank transporters with those on the trailer, but I think they would have been taxed to near their limit to carry them, certainly for longer distances — and the Germans had nothing comparable.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks folks.

Sorry jakko, with you writing "To get to any inner wheel requires taking off "only" five", you hadn't spotted a couple would only take three to get at the inner one........I didn't realise you already knew. My mistake.......:thumb2:

Update...
Here is the finished upper deck/hull. Excellent fit and all very straight forward and the P.E. glued with general purpose adhesive.
P1210849.JPG

P1210850.JPG

The tools.
P1210851.JPG

P1210852.JPG

P1210853.JPG

Cheers.
Ron