Tips on sealing a paint job

A

Adambart

Hi, I don't know a lot about model painting atm but I have been required to paint 2 toy pistols for a convention I am going to later this week. I am using Revell paints, Matte Black, Silver and Gold but have found that once the paint dries it could be prone to rub off, is there any type of sealer I could use to protect it? I have seen clear Revell lacquer but it seems it would leave a glossy finish where I am looking for matte, I am also concerned it may wipe the paint off.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi Adam there are many Matt varnishes out there you could use, If you click on the shops logo at the top of the page John has a very nice selection you could look at. If the paint is dry it shouldn't wipe any paint away.

D

dubster72

If the pistols are plastic Adam, be sure to use a primer before painting, this will help the paint key to the surface.

Real guns have a metallic sheen, so probably a satin varnish would suit you best, rather than a matt - especially as you're using matt paint already.

As Ian said, the Scale Model Shop is your best bet. Most people have their personal favourites so recommendations will come thick & fast - probably without a clear winner if I know this forum!

First Name
Alex
Its probably no different to a model kit. First you want to prime it, a standard matt light grey will suffice normally. Then i would use two coats of gloss varnish and finally a coat of matt varnish. You can get gloss, satin or matt varnishes i tend to have the best results with matt varnishes by coating them on top of a clear gloss coat. When using a matt varnish always make sure you stir it very well and keep it stored at ambient room temperature

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
If it helps, here's a couple of pics of some of my toys. ;)

They are finished it a matte finish called duracoat, but still have a very slight sheen (most likely from wear).

tmp_29055-IMG_20170523_184431670644060.jpg tmp_29055-IMG_20170523_2040081472498964.jpg