Tommy's War Lewis gunner

Windy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alex
Morning all! I haven't posted anything for a while but this is a figure I've just done for a group build on another site. The Tommy's War Lewis Gunner - painted with a mixture of Vallejo acrylics and Humbrol enamels. I made a few minor changes from the original - I gave him a helmet cover from tissue paper and white glue and added the securing tapes to the top of his puttees. Then I filed off some of the badges on his sleeves and added a wound stripe and a couple of overseas service chevrons. The base is garden mud over plaster of Paris, varnished and dry brushed to give it a damp look. The barbed wire and silent picket are made from fuse wire painted Humbrol track colour then dry brushed with natural leather and bright orange. He needs a bit of mud on his boots yet, and the base needs another coat of varnish.

_20181105_082141.JPG_20181105_081642.JPG_20181105_081215.JPG_20181105_081348.JPG

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Nice work!:thumb2:

Windy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alex
Thanks guys. It was a fun one to paint - a study in brown! First one from Tommy's War I've painted and I have to say I'm impressed.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
That really sets it off, very nice Alex. Like the barbed wire as well.
John.

Windy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alex
Thanks guys. I have to say I'm quite pleased with the end result. I think he could do with a bit of dullcote in places though. The camera flash makes him look a bit shiny!

Cheers,

Windy

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Absolutely beautiful Windy! So poignant at this time. You must be very pleased with the final look. PM sent

wasdale32

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Hi - just seen this - great job - I did the same figure as a tribute to my grandfather who was a member of the Machine Gun Corps in the Battle of St Quentin (21/03/1918) where he was wounded losing his leg and an eye - despite being taken prisoner he survived until the late 1970's. I have his paybook and some letters written while in POW camp. I hope you don't mind me cross-posting but here's my attempt:

Regards
Mark

Windy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alex
Hi - just seen this - great job - I did the same figure as a tribute to my grandfather who was a member of the Machine Gun Corps in the Battle of St Quentin (21/03/1918) where he was wounded losing his leg and an eye - despite being taken prisoner he survived until the late 1970's. I have his paybook and some letters written while in POW camp. I hope you don't mind me cross-posting but here's my attempt:

Regards
Mark

View attachment 328845

Thanks Mark. That's a damn good effort on yours too. Oddly enough there's a tenuous connection with my grandfather as well. He was Indian Army and was his battalion's machine gun officer, fighting the Turks in Mesopotamia. I have his medals and some photographs. I don't think anyone makes a figure of a Sepoy with a Lewis though!

Cheers,

windy

wasdale32

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Hi Windy

I'm waiting for Tommy's War to bring out the Vickers Two Man Team - the guy at the SMW show in November mentioned some time this year.

Mark