Trench Sections in 1:32 scale

First Name
Andrew
The only other work I've done in recent months is to make some ammo boxes for my MG Pillbox. I photographed one of the real things in Belgium last year and am recreating it in balsa. I'll make the catches and handles in styrene and wire sometime.
IMG_2947.JPG

IMG_2965.JPG

IMG_2967.JPG
Cutting the reccess on the lid which accomodates the handle.
IMG_2970.JPG
These bits locate the lid into the box and keep the magazine drums from rattling about.
Andy

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Andy
Just had a quick catch up with this build. Real quality work as always, and fascinating information as well. Great to see you back building as well.
Cheers
Tim

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Awesome flimsies. Great work as always. PaulE

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
My word Andy.
This something else, pity that poor guy at the face.Think your take on the earth was spot on . Keep it coming .
Love the use and working of the balsa
John .

First Name
Andrew
Thanks guys. The guy on the crucifix chair doesn't have the worst job. There will be another guy lying next to him collecting the excavated earth! He has to wear a hat of some type, to stop all the earth getting into his hair!
One of my photo albums on Imgur has finally reached 300,000 views today. It was on 299,999 for quite a while this morning and I resisted clicking on it.
Andy

S

Stevekir

How do you plan to create the wood graining on the lid of the amo box? Perhaps by a colour photo printed to scale on photo paer?

First Name
Andrew
Thanks guys. I will be back. My daughter was married yesterday, so I’ve been occupied with that - fantastic day and we like her husband, which helps! I’m also still preoccupied by house renevations and have been mentally and physically tired of it all.
Steve. If you look at my website, then I have a section about painting balsa. The grain is natural and I just bring out the detail with thin washes of colour rather than painting it. It works for me.
https://andybelseymodels.wixsite.com/mysite/creating-duckboards
(Sorry for the plug for my website. I will be more active here when my life is quieter. I've had no desire for modelmaking recently.)
Andy

Last edited:
First Name
Andrew
How about this for a 54mm figure!! Mike (the Kiwi) Butler has painted my shaving guy. He's a converted Tommy's War figure, sculpted by Nino Pizzachemi. I scratchbuilt most of the equipment for him and Mike has added his fantastic paintwork on him. He will live in one of my section models when he returns from New Zealand. (He's painted as a New Zealander, which is why he has a brown shirt and a 'Lemon-squeezer' hat.)

48155232_10218303620522560_8030596194973515776_o.jpg
48266901_10218320803912134_8876164346615431168_n.jpg48053039_10218320828352745_8495384494751088640_o.jpg

First Name
Andrew
He's home for Christmas! My shaving guy is back in Blighty from Kiwiland. It is mind-boggling trying to see all the detail that Mike has painted on this tiny figure!!! You need the blown up photos to appreciate him and my close up glasses and optivser were here at work. I'll put him in his shellhole over Christmas and then post some photos.
Meanwhile look at the enlarged photos that he posted on Planet Figure- https://www.planetfigure.com/threads/mikes-ww1-kiwi-for-andys-trench.116988/page-2
Andy

D

Dave S4

Lovely work. Really exceptional and nice to see this subject getting skillful treatment.

First Name
Andrew
He's not finished, but Mike's figure is now in the shellhole. I still have some adjustments to do but here are a couple of photos. He's attribute to Mike's Great Uncle Perey, so were calling him Perey.
Perey has noticed something in his shaving mirror. I placed the equipment where it could be best seen to advantage. I made all the equipment while the base was in an exhibition (without figure) and then sent it all to Mike, so was never able to place them on the model until now!

IMG_0891.JPGIMG_0893.JPG

D

Deleted member 6559

Oh, that's pretty amazing Andy. You and Mike together make an incredible team.

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Andy,
If this is a continuation of the work your were doing on the other site that we must not mention, then I am all eyes agog. Now where's those figures in the stash.....
Cheers, Mike.