Truck 'Loading Bay' Diorama WIP

First Name
Charles
Well fellow modeling friends; it has certainly been a while since I posted my last truck build, especially longer if we mention a 1/24 scale diorama for that matter. Here is where I am with my latest project, representing a Truck 'on/off' loading bay. Now, let me apologies for not posting pics from the very beginning stages of this build. Unfortunately I lost pics from that time period. I was doing a transfer from my phone to the computer and erasing the originals at the same time. So, these are the ones that I have available for you all to see. But, I still have a bit to go before this is finish. So hopefully, I will be able to take some photos of the process from here on out. Hope you enjoy the photos. I wanted something different to work on and I thought this theme would provide some interest. It will incorporate a trailer, docked, and an open cargo bay next to the one you see in the diorama already. I will also add a forklift and some workers inside one of the bays. I am, trying to keep things simple, yet interesting for the eye to gaze upon. so we will see, if I can achieve the look I am going for. As always, things might change along the way or not, but regardless of how it turns out, I will try and make it an interesting diorama.The base for the diorama is made out of foam board or poster board and placed on a picture frame.

gat_on_diorama6_zpswlkiitaa.jpg

gat_on_diorama4_zpsestunlsz.jpg

gat_on_diorama2_zpskazzwkm1.jpg

The Bay parts were made scratch built from plastic styrene and rubber materials, cut to fit. The signs were made from photos of the real thing scale down in Photoshop.The big opening which is painted a dark brown will remain as is. I decided it will not be seen, so there would be no point in detailing something that on one will see. As the reefer trailer is going to be docked right up to it, it will block out whatever view there is.

truck_loading_bay_gate_e_zpshaakzftv.jpg

gat_on_diorama_zpsukahkrcq.jpg

gat_on_diorama_b_zpsfraxkiyt.jpg

truck_loading_bay_gate_d_zpsvglpqefo.jpg

truck_loading_bay_gate_g_zpsq4v0zvif.jpg

The truck restraint mechanism was also built from small part as well as scratch built parts:

truck_loading_bay_gate_h_zpssimhmero.jpg

truck_loading_bay_gate_f_zps2v8ku73t.jpg

I added parallel guides for the truck on both sides of the bay door. They are made from thick and harden electrical wiring material. I picked this out of a container 
which had been discarded. I thought, it would come in handy one day.

gat_on_diorama5_zpsakdfouki.jpg

gat_on_diorama3_zpsxisu8vpi.jpg

This pic shows the almost finished facade of the adjacent building. that will be place on the long side of the diorama.

building_wall_zpsxkvp9mva.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 3568

I see another masterpiece in the making Charles. 

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
superb work , Charles. great detail,looks spot on, :D

wish I was able to use the like of photoshop,to resize and make signs and the like, ¬¬

have paint on win7,just cannot use that type of thing at all,must be old and silly lol, :sad: :D

First Name
Charles
superb work , Charles. great detail,looks spot on, :D

wish I was able to use the like of photoshop,to resize and make signs and the like, ¬¬

have paint on win7,just cannot use that type of thing at all,must be old and silly lol, :sad: :D

Well Monica. I am no way apt in Photoshop. It's more of a trail and error situation. You are right, paint does not quite cut for scaling down the photo while maintaining the ratio aspect. But it is not really that difficult. Just a matter of knowing the exact size you want and scaling the photo down without distorting the puc itself. I am still learning. 

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Ooooh, me likey!! O.o :x

You have a good eye for detail, very impressive! B|

First Name
Charles
Managed to find some photos of earlier progress of the build. You can see what I used as the facade and pic frame for the base as well as how I intended to lay it all out:

tdd_wip2_zpsnxnb6r5i.jpg

tdd_wip4_zpsxqwy9x7u.jpg

tdd_wip5_zpsvrqkfncy.jpg

The forklift is a plastic toy model I bought at a local super market. I was lucky, because the scale was 1/24. So I already started to take it apart and removing the internal mechanism to do some minor
detailing and a repaint:

linde_forklift_zpsyknhloby.jpg

linde_forklift2_zpsjlsd0fxi.jpg

linde_forklift3_zps2wtuochs.jpg

linde_forklift4_zpsfolixvkw.jpg

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
What a mind you have Charles ;)  Detail is amazing as is your eye for realism, you take notice of the un-noticed and are doing a superb job of it so far..........Jim :smiling3:

First Name
Charles
What a mind you have Charles ;)  Detail is amazing as is your eye for realism, you take notice of the un-noticed and are doing a superb job of it so far..........Jim :smiling3:

Thank you kindly Jim.

First Name
Charles
[SIZE=10.5pt]The formboard before and after. I am removing the first layer as this has the material I am using is sandwiched between two cardboard paper. Removing the layer is very easy. I just take a sharp hobby knife and carefully peel off the paper.[/SIZE]

formboard_paper_removed3_zpsmufx7qmp.jpg

formboard_paper_removed2_zpsip5dwbex.jpg

formboard_side_zpsjo2ur3jq.jpg

This is what it looks like after I remove the paper backing:

formboard_paper_removed_zpsr5i5han2.jpg

The steel beams. I painted them blue.

support_beams_zps6bibbmkn.jpg

The back of the second wall backing was done using the same method as the front.  I used only half of the wall. I did not want to use the entire length. So I did it this way. 

building_wall_zpsxkvp9mva.jpg

Second_Main_wall_zpscvzkes0l.jpg

rear_view_wall_interior_zpsgcbb2krd.jpg

Second_Main_wall_zpscvzkes0l.jpg

support_beams2_zpse3gzhewp.jpg

support_beams3_zpsoz1q7vnv.jpg

This is how the wall looks now, when it is setup. I think it is starting to look like something.

wall_mounted_to_bay_door2_zps2ckwmgge.jpg

wall_mounted_to_bay_door_zpsrytbnplq.jpg

These will be the corner protective pillars that will be used at the entrance of the second entrance of the industry building:

Hinder_pillars_zpsjwaga7qy.jpg

I decided to make air vents out of these. Yes. I tend to use whatever I have on hand, as to not spent too much money.

vents_zpsxnfgqepr.jpg

I am going to use these to kit-bash/scratch built some Air conditioners. We shall see how that goes.

air_conditioners_zpsoy1xlwoy.jpg

These, I will use to scratch built some flood lights:

spotlights_zpstkxkml38.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Like the look of this one I think I will tag along for the ride.
Great work and the detail it fantastic. 

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
Superbly detailled. That doorway looks 10% realistic. :smiling3: