Trumpeter's AS-90 and some extra's.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Sorry Ross. Late on parade again:flushed: Had a good catch up and I am glad you sorted out the barrel. Looking forward to seeing this iconic AFV come together.

First Name
Ross
Bob, feel free, I did :smiling:.

Steve, no problem mate, welcome along.

Here's the back mud guards.

as-90 3c.jpg
And here is where they go.

as-90 3d.jpg

cheers
Ross

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Hi Ross - even later than Steve :smiling:

Got one of these lurking in the stash

First Name
Ross
Simon, a belated welcome mate.

Well it's starting to warm up and that means I'm back at the bench. The delay was useful because this came back in stock.

as-90 4b.jpg

I had read that there wasn't much room to fit tracks and when I started to build them I found out how true that was, so a little change in plan, a few bits had to come off and I decided to build and paint the running gear before fitting everything back on.

as-90 4a.jpg
So off came the etch and the side skirts, tracks made and everything painted and a protective coat on.

as-90 4.jpg

I'll fit everything over the next couple of days and start work on the turret.

cheers
Ross

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Ah Ross
Your back! glad I kept my ticket for front row seating.
Great idea with the plastic card, must remember that along with every other tip I've gathered on our forums. Looks good with the update photos.
Had to agree with the best laid plans re the track and then taking bits off.:confounded:. Seem to do that a lot. :smiling:
John.

First Name
Ross
John
Cheers mate, probably should of gone this way from the start but live and learn and no real harm done, haven't lost anything except time.

cheers
Ross

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ross
Fitting the tracks will now be a lot easier. The Black Dog stuff looks nice. I have used a couple of things from them and been more than happy.
Jim

First Name
Ross
Jim
Easier but not easy, still have pry them through with a strong bar. Still at least I know the tracks will hold together. Have to agree the Black Dog set is very nice, started to clean them up last night as was very impressed with the detail.

cheers
Ross

First Name
Ross
Ian, thanks mate.

Last night was a struggle to get the tracks fitted but they are on.

as-90 5.jpg

This was the easy side, with the side plate off. Two places in particular it was very hard to get the tracks on, the middle return roller and around the drive sprocket. Still they are on and with a little touch up they will look good.

cheers
Ross

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Good to see you back again Ross :thumb2:

If possible I try to leave off the idler and sprocket so tracks can be wiggled in then push them in at the same time as the track. Cutting down the axles for idler and sprocket can help as well as it reduces the wriggle room required

First Name
Ross
Hi Simon
cheers mate it's good to be back in warmer weather and back at the bench. It wasn't that, sprocket and idler were not glued and still are. It was there was just very little room where the tracks run between the upper and lower hull. Now I might of got the middle return roller upside down but it matches the orientation of the other two and it was checked with the instructions multiple times before gluing. I just think the tracks are a tight fit for the kit.

cheers
Ross

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Hi Ross, late to follow too...
Nice looking PE and detail work, the tracks look great too.:thumb2:

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
I'm fashionably late so will just lurk at the back, nice work so far Ross

Reactions: JR
First Name
Ross
Fernando and Mick welcome guys.

Felt like painting today.

as-90 6.jpg

Then made a start on the turret, etch was going great until I folded the rails the wrong way, fixed up best I could but it's going to need stowage to hide the problems.

as-90 6a.jpg

cheers
Ross

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ross
Glad the track is on. I am sure the PE rail will look fine.
Jim

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Nice sag on the tracks. Wonderful shadowing on the stowage. Looking forward to seeing it all in place

First Name
Ross
Jim, we can pretend mate.

Steve, cheers.

Almost all done, needed a bit of filler around the gun mount, I read Terry Ashley's build review this afternoon and I either have the gun mount sideways or back to front but to late to do anything about it. Should of checked before I followed the instructions and should of been following that build as I was doing mine.

as-90 7.jpg

as-90 7a.jpg

as-90 7b.jpg

A couple of bits to add to the lower hull and it should be ready for the paint booth.

cheers
Ross

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I take it the gun’s elevation is fixed, given the apparent weight of the barrel etc. :smiling3:

First Name
Ross
Jakko, no it's actually still moveable, I'm still tossing up whether to mount it in the gun mount or leave it facing up, I'll see what I can do with the big chunk of stowage that is slated for that area.
cheers
Ross