Type 87 reconnaissance vehicle

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
After leaving it for a while again, I finally managed to finish my Japanese Type 87 reconnaissance vehicle.

IMG_4724.jpg
IMG_4725.jpg
IMG_4726.jpg
IMG_4727.jpg
IMG_4728.jpg
IMG_4731.jpg

All I did, really, was to add some washes and drybrushing, plus paint the details of course, and then add some decals. Strangely, the decal sheet has three sets of number plates but seemingly only two sets of unit markings, and the instructions only show one version. I picked different registration plates and unit markings on the turret sides than per the instructions, but used the other markings as directed because as I don’t read Japanese, I couldn’t tell what other decals went together.

I left the model very clean, because Japanese vehicles in photos tend to be in pretty pristine condition, other than maybe some mud on the wheels and exhaust stains. I decided to only add the latter.

The figures came with the kit, and though they’re not great, they’re not all that bad either, so I just painted them in the JGSDF camo and did a quick shade job on them with transparent grey paint.

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That looks very good Jakko, I bet It's glad to be off the shelf of doom never mind you wanting it off.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I have to admit I was getting a bit fed up with it sitting there in plain sight for a decade, yes :smiling3: Now to finish that Mowag Piranha as well, and I might see about the LVTP-5 that the Type 87 stood next to for all that time.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Thanks, but I could have done a good deal better if I’d felt like putting more effort in :smiling3: For one thing, I would recommend using a gloss coat underneath the decals — see the silvering around the national marking on the glacis plate in the bottom photo, for example.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Nice to see you finally put this one to bed. I agree with you about the clean condition of the Jap vehicles