U23 and U99

W

Willi262

Unfortunately (mostly because my camera needs repairs) there won't be very many pictures of these builds as they are in progress. Probably have to save most of those pictures for the completed jobs.

I am also lumping them together then, to save space.

The 144 scale U23 is nearing completion today as it is. I estimate that it's about 90-95% finished with what steps I have covered thus far.

It wasn't a very easy build, despite my expectations.

First off, it says "Revell" but the sprue sheet is stamped "ICM", thus suggesting to me that it is a re-boxing. That part is no big deal. But the sprue is not numbered. Meaning I have to look at the manual to ID the parts. I wrote the numbers in sharpie near each piece to compensate for the lack of guideposts.

Next up, the hull paint. Messed it up like twice, on my way into three times, so it stays as it is.

The first step was to glue the hull halves together, along with their retaining rings. Then I painted the light grey upper and dark grey lower in the wrong shades. That wasted time while re-primed and repainted in lighter shades.

Then I was tooling about the 'net' one day and I found a few historical shots of U23 under construction, and I noticed that the guide I was using to paint with was mistaken. The dark grey really does come up the saddletanks, all the way, on each side. As with U99.

But I am not repainting it anymore, it stays as it is. U99 hasn't started yet, so I will get the paint the right way on that one. But I think I will go easy on the rusting and wearing effects on U99, just to save some time.

Then I painted, built, and touched up several smaller sub-assemblies, because they were easy enough to do and I needed to restore my motivation after goofing the main paintjob and wasting a lot of time on it. I also really went crazy on rusting it, and when I tried a wash, too much of my fixup paint came off. More touchup. It actually looks a lot better for it now, so I guess it wasn't a total disaster.

So as of this writing, the hull is built the tower is built but not permanently fixed in place yet. U23 needs some jumping wires and flags with poles. I can skip the step with the net cutter on the upper hull forward, as U23 did not have it in place. U9, U20 and the U type II standard all included them, but not the one I picked. I like it when the book says a step is "optional".

U99. Hull and parts primed. No more progress to report.

D

dubster72

I'd look forward to seeing some pics Steve, when your camera is working. I've got the Bronco 1/35 Seehund coming my way so some tips would be much appreciated!

Cheers

Patrick

W

Willi262

U23 is about 98% complete.

I messed up the decal flags as they were hard to work with. I added the missing swastikas with black marker but they look all wonky and at least one of them is facing the wrong direction. Oh well, the nazis don't deserve any honor so mixing up their flag is not breaking my heart.

U99 has had hull paint applied. Took better care and tried not to "eyeball" so much of it. Later today I hope to find time to fix up some detail on the hull, like rusting/wearing around the lightening holes, anchor and dive planes.

When I get to the stage that calls for the jumping wires to be attached, I will finish off U23 at that time as well.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Like Patrick, I look forward to the pictures.....

Steve, I hope you've cut out the hull lightening holes / drain slots, whatever they are called, and not been a naughty boy and just painted them black, so they look sort of see through? lol!

Z

Ziper_it

Hi Steve,

Looks you're going fast and sounds like a great work.

Fix your camera soon, we need pictures.

Francesco

W

Willi262

\ said:
Like Patrick, I look forward to the pictures.....Steve, I hope you've cut out the hull lightening holes / drain slots, whatever they are called, and not been a naughty boy and just painted them black, so they look sort of see through? lol!
I cheated. I just painted them in black. I was tempted to drill them out, but that would make the boat see-through.

W

Willi262

I have also discovered that this Revell kit (U99) is a really sloppy mold.

I can tell that that is responsible for at least some of the flash that I had to trim. I am a little concerned about the display stand. the halves do not align. It's almost like the mold machine slipped and one half is like 8% bigger than the other. I had to do more trimming, but so far, I don't know if it worked. Gotta say, I'm not terribly pleased with the kit, but only because of that. (it's a sloppy mold).

D

dubster72

Revell must have recycled that mold for the one they made my Tomcat from Steve! I feel your pain!

W

Willi262

Has anyone else completed the "Revell" 125 scale U99?

If so, was your kit terribly molded as well?

I have found that this one requires way more shaping and sanding than I have been able to provide. The plastic looks like a bad double exposure. I have to say, I am not impressed with this kit. However, as I really wanted a type 7 sub in my collection, I would have been a bit lost as to where to find another, better or more accurate kit somewhere else.

But, at the time of this writing, U99 only needs a bit more detail paint before major assembly begins. Pictures soon to follow...

W

Willi262

U99 is as complete as its going to be.

I was very unhappy with this kit. Tons of flash, nothing fit very well. Low level of extra detail.

I assume this was molded sometime around 1976, and this one seemed the part. Pictures to follow in the completed builds section, as there is no good light for picture taking right now...

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I bought this kit nice and cheap earlier this month when I was at the Cosford Show...

After reading your thread, I'm frightened to open the box now!

I've build both the Revell 1/144 VII C&D Types, and they were excellent, so it will be interesting to compare the quality.

Last edited by a moderator:
W

Willi262

Comparing U23 with U99, I would say U23 went together much much better. Better fit, better alignment, no so much chopping/trimming/sanding. They tell you to put rigging/jumping wires on, but don't say how.

U99 will not get jumping wires because the hull is not aligned properly. The aft mount port side was badly, badly mangled as I attempted to remove it from the sprue. Even after repairs it shows its damage. Overall, the mount is now too short, and my lines will not line up. So I will do without.

Like I said, maybe it was my kit only, I got the bunged one, the last one before they cleaned out the mold machine at the factory. I'm hoping this is the case, but if not, it means all "Revell" U99 in 125 scale, first molded back in 1976, will look like crap. Be warned...