First Name
Steve
A wonderful feature. Looking forward to reading the next instalment

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Richard

very skillfully done and a major improvement to the basic kit. I will continue to learn and look for ideas to steal.

John

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks gentlemen...

Ian, I hope the next will be nice for you too. :smiling4:
Jim, that's why the engine was pretty spartan...just enought o see contours through the mesh. Canopies are a make or break of an aircraft build so I put a lot of attention to it.
Scottie, always appreciate your encouragement.
Steve, ever the ready anticipator...hope not to disappoint.
John B, glad you like whats been done to this kit. You're welcome to steal if there're any. :smiling6:

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Above the interior of the canopy there is a console. The kit clear part just had a rectangular emboss with no detail. I scratched one out by making a thicker box with switches and dials...

h0051.jpg h0052.jpgh0053.jpg h0054.jpg

Then added wire which I twisted around a dowel and pull away. This would look like intercom wires hanging from the console just for visual sake.

h0055.jpg h0056.jpg

The after it was soaked in Future and left on a piece of tissue to soak up excess...

h0058.jpg h0062.jpg

I painted the console in situ and also touched up the frames with interior grey after shaving off the back flush which would free the sliding motion for the side windows.

h0063.jpg h0064.jpg

More later...

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I don't know if anyone had noticed but the Italeri kits cyclic rear rotor blades are in the wrong direction. I don't know if they are supposed to be this way or are reversible in flight I just don't know but looking at all references they face the other way.
h0057.jpg h0065.jpg

At first I thought it was going to be a major job and after studying the assembly I came up with a solution with a simple remedy to slice of the attachement pin and relocate it to the other side.

h0066.jpg h0067.jpg

Then just glue the stabilisers onto the other side....solved.

h0068.jpg h0071.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
Always interesting and informative reading through your builds. I love the little control box in the canopy.
Jim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Ian and Jim, always looking for interesting detail to improve the kit. It's even better when the kit is so easy to build and fits like a glove.

Cheers,
Richard

D

Daniel Horvath

Wonderful work Richard the scene is fantastic love the way the wind blows the plants away! Hats off to you sir! Best regards Danny

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hey Daniel, there are paddy fields not far away from my house in Sekincan, about an hour and a half drive so reference for it was real. Except it's grown in industrial size fields. Here's a video of the fields...

Cheers,
Richard

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
That console is beautiful. Wonderful work as always mate:thumb2:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thank you Steve...I hope you like the following...

Firstly strips were added as bracings for the top portion of the mesh. I did it this way rather than trying to leaving the original strips on and to sand and thin them to accept the mesh. Gluing and final puttying tiny gaps to the canopy with Gunze liquid putty aided with a brush.

h0069.jpg h0070.jpg

The hoisting winch just looked naked and uninteresting without some straps and cable wires. Reference helped with the attachment points

h0072.jpg h0073.jpg

The picture on the right shows how effective the dangling wire is in the cockpit.

h0074.jpg h0075.jpgh0076.jpg h0077.jpg

Again the picture on the right shows why all the effort was put into getting the window to slide open. It makes the kit scale larger than it actually is.

h0078.jpg h0079.jpg

There will be more...

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Ok I get it, :smiling2: winches arent that exciting so on to the next... how about handles and windshield wipers?

h0080.jpg h0081.jpg

These were all brass wire bent with tweazers...seriously, attached with drops of Cyano.....10 of them.

h0082.jpg h0083.jpg

The wiper was attached to a hole carefully drilled on the raised canopy frame.

h0084.jpg h0085.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
Superb attention to detail. Not only do you do the research to see what detail is missing but you have the modelling skills to scratch what is needed.
Jim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Scottie and Jim, thanks for the kind comments. The UH-34 was central to the diorama I was doing and upfront that any details added would help it along. I was going to spend time doing the paddy that somehow triggered my mojo to go all the way. Normally I would have just concentrated on surface detail.

Masking of canopy and mesh, priming and pre-shading gets underway...

h0086.jpg h0087.jpgh0088.jpg h0089.jpgh0090.jpg h0091.jpgh0092.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hey Daniel, there are paddy fields not far away from my house in Sekincan, about an hour and a half drive so reference for it was real. Except it's grown in industrial size fields. Here's a video of the fields...

Cheers,
Richard
Thanks for that video Richard, never realised it was harvested in that manor, and not a tree in sight ! Always assumed you had thick luxurious woodland.
The bird looks fantastic, fancy the manufactures getting the blades wrong. Great detail as we have come to expect.
John.