US Navy Swift Boat (PCF)...Building the base too!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Most will have heard of the 'Pibber' fast boat, me included, but I'd never heard of this Swift Boat (PCF)

It's made by Revell and is 1/48 scale, giving a hull length of around 12".

It was used by the American Navy in the Vietnam conflict as a coastal cum river / canal craft during the conflict.

All aluminium construction, it could travel at over 30 knots.

MM Vietnam build 001.jpg

Because I brush paint only, I don't use masking tape, so I can quite happily complete the whole kit before painting. Then just cut in where neccessary, freehand. Being aluminium, there will be little rust, just plenty of muddy stains!

Here is the boat built and primed with Vallejo primer. Ready for painting and fixing the windows.

MM Vietnam build 002.jpg

MM Vietnam build 003.jpg

MM Vietnam build 004.jpg

Thanks for look.

Ron

Last edited by a moderator:
P

Polux

Very nice choice Ron!

Ohhh...looks an excellent model for a weathering paintwork :rolleyes:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks amigo, but being all aluminium there will be no rust - except perhaps a bit where deck fittings go.

But still plenty of scope for some dirt and stains though!

P

Polux

I know! No rust!! :smiling3:

But, as you said, dirt and stains....colour modulations... some monkeys on the pope.... and maybe some vietcong hidden somewhere :smiling3: :smiling3: :smiling3:

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
I like that Ron......... I'll be watching what you do with it.

D

Deleted member 4539

Flipping heck Ron that was quick,you only got it yesterday:smiling3:.

Looking good and will be watching.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Flipping heck Ron that was quick,you only got it yesterday:smiling3:.
Looking good and will be watching.
I reached where you see now, yesterday and this morning. It is quite a simple kit. No interior, and the mast with things on it and the antenna etc are all moulded to one side of the superstructure. The other side simply slides around these 'projections' to meet the other half. All very clever. Also, a lot of general stuff - life belts and the like - are moulded in. Coupled with a great general fit, it was a surprisingly quick and easy build.

This would be a great, simple kit for anyone wishing to have a bash at constructing a 'floaty thing'!

Thanks too for your post Peter.

Poux, what is colour modulation? Is that another word for different shades .....?

F

Fenlander

Colour modulation is a posh word for shading but done with lighter and darker versions of the base colour rather than pre shading with lighter and darker colours, usually white to black with as many greys in between as you can muster. The final single colour is so thin it allows the shading to show through making the final colour appear darker and lighter.

Modulation is where you paint the many shades of one colour to represent the darker and lighter areas. Sets of these pre mixed colours sold as modulation sets, also keep a certain Spanish chap quite wealthy...........

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Rob, although there is no interior detail and I doubt anything would be seen anyway, I will paint the internal 'walls'. I ony plonked on the lid for the pictures, so I'm still able to get at the insides.

Graham, I was just turning that big 'ol key slightly! ;) ......I'll stick with 'Shading'.

Cheers Scott, it should be fun.

Last edited by a moderator:

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Most will have heard of the 'Pibber' fast boat, me included, but I'd never heard of this Swift Boat (PCF)
It's made by Revell and is 1/48 scale, giving a hull length of around 12".

It was used by the American Navy in the Vietnam conflict as a coastal cum river / canal craft during the conflict.

All aluminium construction, it could travel at over 30 knots.

View attachment 143751

Because I brush paint only, I don't use masking tape, so I can quite happily complete the whole kit before painting. Then just cut in where neccessary, freehand. Being aluminium, there will be little rust, just plenty of muddy stains!

Here is the boat built and primed with Vallejo primer. Ready for painting and fixing the windows.

View attachment 143752

View attachment 143753

View attachment 143754

Thanks for look.

Ron
Well that answers my question in the packing thread you did Ron, and the build is looking very good indeed.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
I,m onboard this one as well,Ron,

I do like boats as well,real should do one one day,

no rust but dose oxicide,to a white powder,and lite green so can have some fun,

look forward to seeing more and what setting you do, do, :D

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
that looks interesting, shame theres no figures with it

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
good point Paul,I do wonder if Ron will add some in,:rolleyes:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks folks,

There is a figure with the kit, but to be honest I wouldn't even put him up the garden for target practice!...However, if I can't find any 1/48 U.S. Marine figures, I might yet sling him onboard. So if anyone sees any in Vietnam era Marines in 1/48 please let me know. Thanks.

I'm well impressed with this kit. Although few in parts, Revell have managed to mould in some good detail, to give a nice end result.

Because it's brush painted, I was able to introduce the weathering with each coat. I stopped at two coats, as anymore would have given a smooth surface to both the hull and deck, which was not what I wanted. These boats were worked hard and would be well worn!

When I want a boat or ship to be in water, I always make the waterline / boot topping a rough, well worn edge. A hard line is great when on a stand, but not when in a muddy, dirty environment.

O.K., here is the boat painted up. I used the acrylic paints that came with the kit applied with a No.2 flat head brush - and very good they were too.

MM Vietnam build 005.jpg

MM Vietnam build 007.jpg

The rough waterline painting....You can just make out the subtle streaking on the hull. I did this by working along the hull, roughly flicking the brush up and down as I went along the length and allowing the paint to then run down where it wanted to go. The deck was done the same, but keeping the brush strokes bow to stern.

MM Vietnam build 006.jpg

MM Vietnam build 008.jpg

Showing a bit of bow detail. I will make some 'real' rope coils, plus loads of other stuff as and when they sprink to life in my nut!. I also painted the inside a matt black. This seemed to be the best colour to hide the total lack of interior detail - not that I'm bothered, I doubt it would be seen anyway!

MM Vietnam build 010.jpg

Next up, the windows and then I can get really stuck into the weathering.

Thanks for looking,

Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Hi Dave,

No I haven't as yet - Good idea.

I've only been on Google Images. There are some great pictures there, so plenty of inspiration. I'll certainly have a look at the sites you mention and thanks again for the helpful suggestion. I appreciate it.

Ron

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looking good,I,m liking what your doing,

great idea along the water line to show the warn on the paint,its worked well, ;)