US Navy Swift Boat (PCF)...Building the base too!

C

Caledonia

Well done Ron, I really envy you your brush skills. Looks a really nice model, so what have you up your sleeve for this one, another stunning rio no doubt. Derek

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Derek, I have an inklin to have it scooting along a river....That's as far as my thinking goes up to now, but who knows what might penetrate my skull and wake up a brain cell or two!

I've finished the boat. I looked at various pictures of these craft and added different bits that I noticed on them to my own Fast Boat.

In doing so I had probably the best time I've had in a while when it comes to modifications and weathering a model. I was in free fall with the brush and brain!

I used sewing cotton, cocktail sticks, a couple of steel modelling pins cut up for the screen wipers, toilet paper, old thin electric wire and oddments from my bits box. I cut off the awful, thick flag staff and made a new one from a cocktail stick. I then wrapped the double sided flag decal around a piece of thread and stuck the whole thing to the new flag staff, top and bottom. The flag is bent with Micro Sol to give it a bit of life.....

Also, I had an idea to paint some repair patches on the hull. I'm chuffed how they have turned out and make the boat look even more battered. The damage to the rubbing strakes was done with the red hot tip of a small screwdriver.

All the rope work is extra, using two thicknesses of sewing cotton.

Anyway, here is the finished boat, with bits added and brush painted and weathered with the kit acrylics and detailed with Humbrol enamels.

MM Vietnam build 018.jpg

MM Vietnam build 019.jpg

MM Vietnam build 020.jpg

MM Vietnam build 022.jpg

MM Vietnam build 021.jpg

MM Vietnam build 024.jpg

MM Vietnam build 023.jpg

MM Vietnam build 025.jpg

MM Vietnam build 027.jpg

MM Vietnam build 028.jpg

I hope you like my attempt at a well used and battered Swift Patrol Craft Fast (PCF) No.9

If I can source some 1/48 US Marines I will hopefully add these later.

Now I can turn my thoughts towards some water.

Cheers,

Ron

C

Caledonia

Great work with the rust and damage Ron, are these any good for you? Derek

http://www.scottsmodels.co.uk/collections/figures-1-48

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/TA32513

D

Deleted member 4539

Really like what you have done with this Ron.

Great explanation of what you have done.

The additions and weathering are excellent. :smiling3:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
That looks well used matey! The damaged rubbing strips and repaired patches look great , cheers tony

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Just stunning Ron. Awesome work all round, that has dirtied up very well.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
superb,just love the weathering,very well done,I do real like it,

plus all the add in make so much of a differences, ;)

D

daveb257

\ said:
You wanted some figures Ron?
Here you go:

http://propaganda-kompany.com/Accessoires-Figurines/90245-us-vietnam-infantry-for-m113-a1-3-fig.html

... a real bargain at just under £60 each!!!! So how many sets do you want?
Looks like they are for the master moulds rather than the figures so you could build an entire Marine Expeditionary Force for £60 !

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks all for your excellent posts on the finished boat.

Derek, thanks for the links, but they are the wrong era, and my meagre altering skills would produce a few cat's ar**'*, but thanks for your help nonetheless.

daveb257 - Still way above my budget, and I would still have to buy all the stuff to make the figures.......Any observation regarding the boat? It's always nice to get feedback and suggestions, good or bad, about our builds.

Cheers,

Ron

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
you adding in lance on his skis and a guy grooving away to mick as well,? :D

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Monica, I'm sure they would be too busy 'doing other things' to have time for such activities. ;)

Here is an update folks...

I've started the basework.

First up, a hole for the boat and a bit of the wake chopped out. The base is a bit of painted 1/2" chipboard from an old kitchen unit.

MM Vietnam build 042.jpg

Some polystyrene packing shore line stuck on.

MM Vietnam build 043.jpg

The boat plonked on for tries....

MM Vietnam build 044.jpg

I came up with the idea for a shack by the shore line - complete with landing stage. I made this from my usual polystyrene Pizza base and scribed the boards directly on to it. The roof is thin card from an old receipt book. It looked fine, but then I realised the river would be tidal.......Numpty!

MM Vietnam build 030.jpg

So I cut off the jetty and on to stilts went the shack! The tin sheets are cooking foil. The vertical boarding is polystyrene. The supports are old BBQ sticks and the braces cut down coffee stirrers. The shack is painted with children's acrylics. I don't waste my 'good' paints on the bases.

MM Vietnam build 038.jpg

MM Vietnam build 039.jpg

MM Vietnam build 040.jpg

MM Vietnam build 041.jpg

Here is the shack, nicely high and dry and placed on the river bank. The hole in the front is where the boat will sit.

MM Vietnam build 037.jpg

That's it for this stage.

Thanks for looking,

Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Ian, I'm glad you like the boat, and are liking the start of the 'Watery bit'!

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
stunning work on the old tin shack,,[ or should I,use this line, tin shack rusted,B52,s great song,]

\ said:
painted with children's acrylics. I don't waste my 'good' paints on the bases.
thats what I use for all my bases and dio,work as well,they work fine, ;)

this is looking great do real like the way you do,your dio,always a joy to watch come together, :D

\ said:
Monica, I'm sure they would be too busy 'doing other things' to have time for such activities. ;)
you never seen apocalypse now,? one of my mosted liked movie, :D

F

Fenlander

Like how this is coming together Ron, great ideas to store for later.