US Navy Swift Boat (PCF)...Building the base too!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks all. Glad you like the start of the base..and getting ideas!

Monica, during the Vietnam Conflict, I watched the real thing almost every day on British T.V. News, so movies of it are of no interest. Brave lads for sure, mind.

Last edited by a moderator:

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Fantastic work!....as usual from you Ron:cool:........Jim:smiling3:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Jim. It's always good to read your comments and helpful advise on the builds here on S.M.

D

Deleted member 4539

That's a really crappy(in a good way) looking shack.

I like where this is going.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Ralph...that's just the look I am after!

Right, I've decided the shack looked all forlorn, so I've made another one to keep it company. This one with a pitched roof to add a bit more interest.

I've also built up the groundwork behind the shacks and added bits and pieces. Still plenty to do, but it's starting to take shape a bit now.....

Here's a shot of the polystyrene layers with some brown shed paint worked in....

MM Vietnam build 045.jpg

The first layer complete. This is more of a sealer really.

MM Vietnam build 047.jpg

A general view showing both shore lines.

MM Vietnam build 048.jpg

Here's the two shacks, plus bits. I've made the shacks on slighty different levels to break things up a bit. I've done a tin roof before, but not a complete building. I've really enjoyed trying to get the effect of neglect and cobbled together sort of look.

MM Vietnam build 050.jpg

MM Vietnam build 052.jpg

MM Vietnam build 054.jpg

MM Vietnam build 055.jpg

MM Vietnam build 059.jpg

Thanks for looking in.

Next up I will add some more things to the shack area, some washing and a small boat perhaps. I don't really know yet, something will come along....I hope!

Cheers,

Ron

A

andyrobs

Looking good Ron, I love the way you can create your wonderful dios from nothing!!!!!

cheers Andrew

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Andrew - Think beer tokens!

Ralph - Thanks, it's starting to take shape now and ideas are coming to the fore......'bout time too, sez I.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Amazing work Ron. Those huts are a great build in themselves.

N

noble

Quality build so far Ron but I have come to expect nothing less from you.

scott

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
real like the look of it Ron,just as it is , ;)

J

John Rixon

Inspiring stuff Ron, impressive skills combined with an experienced eye! Loving your work :smiling3:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks peeps for the most encouraging comments....

I'm having great fun with this, to the extent that I nearly forgot about the boat!

I always like to tackle something I've not done before. So, as the boat is supposed to be in the tidal Mekong Delta, I'm going to do the water at low tide. This will give me the opportunity of having a first time bash at a muddy shore line - should be fun. So here goes......

I have it in my mind's eye that the water would swill the mud from around the shore to reveal some rocks which have crumbled from the cliff face.

So here is the start..Last night I removed the shacks and layered some polyfilla, with added brown paint, to where I wanted the water's edge. Then whilst it was still wet, I broke up some stones from my drive and randomly sprinkled them on the mixture, then gently pushed them into the surface.

MM Vietnam build 060.jpg

Here is the opposite shore line.

MM Vietnam build 062.jpg

....and a top view of both shores.

MM Vietnam build 063.jpg

Next up, I will use some children's acrylics and add some colour to the rocks and mud. Then I can finally fix the shacks in place.

Thanks for looking in, and I hope you approve thus far of my first crack at a shore line....Be gentle!

Cheers,

Ron

D

Deleted member 4539

looks great to me. :smiling3:

I remember when I used to row/sail on the Menai straits. At low tide this is just what the shoreline looked like.

I also remember the instructor/officer getting in a strop when we got things wrong,and this is what he would say,very slowly.."You guys really p%%s me off,you sit there with your thumbs in your bums and your brains in neutral,why don't you all f%%k off.

One lad Replied once.."where are we supposed to f%%k off to"..Bloody heck he went mental at us.

And no one said boo to him again. :smiling3:

I'm middle row,second from the right.

Hood%20Division%201983%20Sized[1].jpg

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Ralph. Nice infill. Instructors were not to be messed with....Where you at the Naval College on the Menai? The one no one can pronounce, let alone spell!

For 15yrs. me and the missus had a 27ft. bilge keeler moored at Red Wharf Bay on Anglesey, and we had some hairy times going through the Swellies, through just getting the tide flow slightly wrong. Literally by minutes. As you will know, the tide comes into the Straits from either end - never get caught in the middle!

Sometimes we were thrown around that much we just had to tie up at the nearest pub to calm down.(any excuse) Our favourite was called The Gazelle - we hearty sailors called it The Guzzle!

Thanks again,

Ron

D

Deleted member 4539

\ said:
Thanks Ralph. Nice infill. Instructors were not to be messed with....Where you at the Naval College on the Menai? The one no one can pronounce, let alone spell!
For 15yrs. me and the missus had a 27ft. bilge keeler moored at Red Wharf Bay on Anglesey, and we had some hairy times going through the Swellies, through just getting the tide flow slightly wrong. Literally by minutes. As you will know, the tide comes into the Straits from either end - never get caught in the middle!

Sometimes we were thrown around that much we just had to tie up at the nearest pub to calm down.(any excuse) Our favourite was called The Gazelle - we hearty sailors called it The Guzzle!

Thanks again,

Ron
The college was TS Indefatigable,in Llanfair PG(yes I can pronounce the full name).

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Nice one Ralph....

Here's an update. I've more or less finished the shacks. I might think up something else, but for now they are done.

I've added a hand rail and some washing (toilet paper!) also some bits of wood lying around.

I reasoned the shore under the shacks would have some marine growth of sorts, so I've randomly tinted the support timbers and rocks dk. green. I've also started to colour the river.....

Here is a shot of one of the 'finished' shacks.....see how with just one coat of paint there are reflections starting to form?

MM Vietnam build 071.jpg

I'll add some foliage behind the shacks later in the build.

Cheers,

Ron

D

Deleted member 4539

Looking real good Ron.

And yes I can see the reflections. :smiling3: