USAF Museum, Dayton, Ohio.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I visited the USAF museum in Dayton Ohio on Saturday - what a fantastic museum. Unfortunately I didn't get to see all of it but what I did see was just amazing with many aircraft I have never heard of before. I know you are supposed to caption your photos but I don't really know what they all are - maybe the big nerds can tag them.

IMG_0507.JPGIMG_0509.JPGIMG_0510.JPGIMG_0512.JPGIMG_0514.JPGIMG_0519.JPGIMG_0520.JPGIMG_0524.JPGIMG_0527.JPGIMG_0528.JPGIMG_0529.JPGIMG_0534.JPGIMG_0535.JPGIMG_0537.JPGIMG_0541.JPGIMG_0542.JPGIMG_0543.JPGIMG_0544.JPGIMG_0545.JPGIMG_0549.JPG

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Good pics Rick. :smiling3:

I think that firtst one might be the Lesser Spotted Duck Billed Air Force One. :tears-of-joy:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great pics rick , its a place I’d love to see , some amazing aircraft there , the valkyrie and the century series jets in particular . Thanks for sharing , cheers tony

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Great pics rick , its a place I’d love to see , some amazing aircraft there , the valkyrie and the century series jets in particular . Thanks for sharing , cheers tony

I am getting it with the century jets - I see a future GB. I was really glad to see the Cold War, SEAC (another GB idea) and Korean jets. The Thunderchief, Super Sabre, Delta Dart & Dagger were very interesting.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Mmmmm:smirk: century series gb ? That could be verrryyy interesting !!:thumb2:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Some very interesting and varied types in that selection Rick. Thanks for posting them.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI there dint know this blog was in here an just had a look through fanstatic aircraft an it looks like to me there was a B36 peacemaker there am I right ?
CHRIS

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Been there several times, as it's practicly in my back yard. Yes there is a B36, in fact I can't think of a production US warplane not represented, plus a bunch that were just experimental or commercial. Pretty much anything that flew, even rockets & spacecraft. I don't have pics as they didn't use to let you take them. Yours are top notch. Wish I'd known you were coming, would've offered you lunch/or "tea" in the mancave. PaulE

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Been there several times, as it's practicly in my back yard. Yes there is a B36, in fact I can't think of a production US warplane not represented, plus a bunch that were just experimental or commercial. Pretty much anything that flew, even rockets & spacecraft. I don't have pics as they didn't use to let you take them. Yours are top notch. Wish I'd known you were coming, would've offered you lunch/or "tea" in the mancave. PaulE
HI PaulE IT WAS NOT me who took the pics but some gent called Rick I was just wondering about the B36 as it was among one of my fave aircraft an I have only seen one in my life at a RAF COLTISALL airshow back in the late 60's an you say you have been their severall time did you have a good look at the B36 did it have a big bubble canopy ?
chris

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I was there in 1998, and thought it to be a great museum if you like military aircraft. I do have photos, because at least in ’98 you could take pictures inside — but most of them are very dark, since the planes are indoors like you can see in the photos at the top of this thread, and an APS camera wasn’t as great under those conditions as a modern digital one is likely to be.

A year later I was in the National Air and Space Museum in Washington D.C. and would also recommend that to anyone with an interest in aircraft, not just American ones.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Don't remember details of the B36, but I assume so. F86 Sabre w/20mm guns is a new one for me. The other two pics w/6 50cals. are the version most often seen. PaulE

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Ah, yes, apparently the later ones had 20 mm cannon instead of machine guns. I didn’t know that, I thought only the US Navy versions had those.