V2 - Vengeance From Above

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Allen
A good light will make a big difference. It won't give you any more time but will make things easier.
18 months to retirement. Not long. Retirement is great although I am still short of time.
No worries about slow progress. This is a really impressive piece of modelling.
Model on and enjoy.
Jim

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
18 more wage packets!! You lucky barsteward. 17 more years of imprisonment in this cell for me I am afraid. Once you have retired I will expect to see a V2 dio every week.:smiling5:

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Good Evening Friends Of Things That Shoot Up In The Air,

You got to love this dark and dreary weather we have had as of late. I haven't really done a thing further due to the lack of light. More about this later, so first...

Dude 2 - Thanks buddy and the eagle has landed in Bamberg today!!!

Si - Thanks too my friend. I am feeling a lot better and trying to get in some bench time too. Really glad you are still here too. See below...

PaulE - We finally hit the paint shop with one of the beauties and thanks for being there...

Jim - Yea, time flies Sir and I am a bit scared of retirement, but after almost 50 years of work, I am ready. I can understand your point too with a lovely grand daughter who can take up a lot of your time, the bench has to wait...I appreciate your support so much and your patience too...

Paul - Thank you my man!!! I think it's going to get better now anyway and I've started saving up my money too...

Stevie - Damn buddy, a V2 dio every week is a lot to ask from an old man!!! I think we might get 1 done every three months though. Only 17 more years??? Wow Bro, that sounds like a lifetime to me. All the best...

Mick - Thanks Sir, but we still need 36 hour days to get thing done around here. Hope all is well too...

So, a small update is in order once again. Short and sweet with 2, that's correct, 2 piccies this time. I shot a coat on one of the twins last weekend when we had some daylight. I used MM (Mission Models) late war dark yellow, MMP-019 straight out of the hissy stick. No thinning and with no primer on the bits. I have never used primer on a kit yet. I'm afraid I'll mess up or put too thick of a coat on it. I have had no probs so far. The MM shoots sweet at 18 PSI and clean up is a breeze with water and IPA...

I took a pic last Sunday evening and as usual it was lousy. I had ordered the Daylight EN1190 LED lamp last week and have been waiting for it to arrive. My old lamp was about a foot long with a coil bulb. I have had it for 22 years and it has never needed a bulb change. I guess you could say that I have gotten my money's worth out of it. Today, my ship came in and WOW, what a surprise and a difference the new lamp made. 84 LEDs @ 21 watts, energy class A+, multi step dimmer and more. A big thanks to John Race for the info as I had forgotten which lamp it was. He hooked me up and also said that JimR and some others swore by them. I'm a believer now too!!!!!!!!!!!

Enough Blah Blah...…...I give you the pic from last Sunday evening,
IMG_1617.JPG
I now give you the pic from this evening,
IMG_1618.JPG
Hell I couldn't believe my eyes. What a difference!!! And I can actually see what I'm doing no matter what the weather outside is. Moggelling is going to be fun this winter. Enough said.

Thanks for looking and have a great Thursday evening. It's off to Stammtisch for me later. A Schnitzel and a cold one is always good!

Prost
Allen

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Dude 1:cool: That's great, see the difference with the daylight bulb, compared to the warm white.
Fantastic, glad it works for you .
Dude 2.

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
to do a proper job you need proper tools... and light is the most important.. i use.. gemological lamp... it simulates perfectly the light of the sun.. soo you have a perfect color and illumination
tmp808A.png

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Hi Allen,
See what happens when you trade in the lit candle on the end of your nose for 21st century lighting, 22 years and I thought I was bad with my old light :nerd: . But beware these new fangled lights will show up all the flaws as well!!!
Get a torch as well, just a cheapie, battery operated, great for finding all those parts that go onto the carpet, beats having carpet burns on your nose from searching.....
Cheers, Mike.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Wonderful light mate. This will certainly help with the building work. It shows up all the pieces so clearly now. Still havnt got a clue what your building though:smiling5::smiling3:

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Evening Rocketeers,

I know, I know, you have been waiting for news from the Fatherland. I have been playing a little at the table, but not as much as I wanted to. The lamp is absolutely fantastic. Oh, it looks like this (for Greg).
IMG_1619.JPG
Paul, PaulE, Si, Dude 2, Mick (cool new Avatar), Mike, Stevie and Greg (you again?), A big and hearty Thank You for the support and the kind words that keep the Mojovation high when the going gets tough...Paul, Schnitzel was wunderbar und Ich habe eine für dich getrunken auch. Don't worry Mike, no carpet burns as there are no carpets in my apartment. I also have an LED flashlight to scan the laminate floor for parts that have flown the coop. Stevie, I warned you about sniffing all that glue. If you go back to page 1 of this blog, you will see what we are trying to create buddy. Now Greg, just for you my man...…………………...

With the new lamp in full swing, I started to assemble the un-painted Hanomag to prep it for the paint shop., While waiting for parts to dry, I started to assemble the painted one. I will say that man must handle a model painted with MM paints with kid gloves. it does scratch so easily and the worse part was the poor fit of the Takom kit. SO...………...

Before I blew a gasket and lost control, I put the Hanomags back in the box and decided to move on to something else to cool down and gain new perspective. As I stated before, if one thing gets on your nerves, you can move on to another as there are so many things to build for this project. I decided to wander off into Wolfsburg land, the home of VW (Volkswagen)………

The Meillerwagen erection trailer for the V2 had 2 hydraulic pistons to raise it in the vertical position to stand the V2 rocket on the launch platform. To operate the hydraulics , one needed a pump and something to power that pump. Some late model trailers had an electric motor to do this. Most trailers used a VW 4 cylinder Beetle engine to operate the pump. It was air-cooled and was modified to run at a constant RPM to do this. It looked like this,
VW 3.png
For Discussion Only
There were some variations on the theme and when mounted on the trailer, it looked like this (restored) trailer from a museum in America,
VW.png
For Discussion Only
The starter crank looks like fun to get this puppy started. The next pic shows the pump and the lines running to the hydraulic tank on the frame,
DSC00966[1] (2).jpg
For Discussion Only
I went about playing with the kits for this. I have the Tamiya Kübelwagen engine maintenance kit and a VW engine in resin from Azimut. I also had to do surgery on the housing and mount for the motor as Takom only gives you the option of it closed up. I sawed the top plate and the bottom plate off to see if a motor would fit in it. It needs some modding, but it should be ok. I just love Azimuts instructions. A picture and that's it,
IMG_1621.JPG
The u piece on the right will hold the motor. I will have to use a combo of both kits to detail the motor. I will also have to scratch up the air intake vents on both sides of the oil pan,
IMG_1622.JPG
Another view. The instructions show the detail of the Tamiya motor which is really only a half motor. The upper half to be exact. The doors on the motor housing are way to thick and will have to be scratched too. As good news, the Takom exhaust fits the Azimut motor with only a little trimming of the pipes. Will add some wiring along with some plumbing to top it off! It looks like I have some work cut out for me...…...

Thanks again for stopping by and have a great week at the bench. If the sun ever shines here in the Fatherland, I'll shoot a coat on the 2nd Hanomag too!

Prost
Allen

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Looking good with the new light Dude 1.
Your taking this to another level with all this scratchery, the resin engine looks fun.
Dude2

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Omg Allen, your attention to detail and research on this project is impressive to say the least.
Top stuff as every mate:thumb2: