W&S Galeria varnish

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi guys,

I bought some Winsor & Newton varnish to try, just wondering if it needs thinning to airbrush? If yes, how much and with what?

Cheers,

B

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi bob , i use the windsor and newton galeria matt acrylic for my final matt coat and usually thin it a little with distilled water before spraying. I give it a few light coats and leave it for 24 hours before handling, hope this helps , cheers tony

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Cheers Tony, any idea on what sort of ratio or is it just by eye?

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Its just a 'mix it till it looks runny enough' method! One thing though once youve added some water give it a very good stirring , not too vigorously as it can froth up a bit and you dont want loads of bubbles. If its too runny it will spray fine but can separate and go streaky on the model , its just a case of practising on scrap till you get the hang of it, cheers tony

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I tried it on my 1/32 MkXVI Tamiya Spitfire and thinned it with water, about 30% for spraying. I found that it worked well but did take a long time to dry and even longer to cure to a hard finish. Much longer than products like AKI Ultra Matt.

D

Doug Hughes

I use their matt, and thin 2 parts varnish to 1 of tap water. It would probably go through the airbrush thicker than that, but I find the matt varnish only needs the thinnest misting of a coat to do the job. I love the stuff. Haven't had any problems with slow drying, but would always leave it 24 hours anyway.